Old 01-11-2016, 08:05 AM   #1
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Midnight Re-boarding, can you? Alone

While we discuss emergency exiting elsewhere how about emergency re-boarding.

Could you?

Here is the scene, middle of the night you get up to check the anchor (*pee over the side) and for what ever reason you fall overboard. You have the boat in the normal overnight condition that you always have it when overnight anchoring.

Can you get back in by yourself with no help?

How about....add any or all your choice.

1. Water temp is 59^F

2. Current is 2.1 kts

3. Waves or chop

4. You broke your wrist in the fall.

No help is available, no life jacket or harness attached.

Can you get back in the boat? How? Why not?

Discuss

* as Richard says not a good idea, but I bet we all have done it a time or two. I find it to be among the luxuries to do so on a nice night with a full moon, but I digress, sigh.

I will have a very hard time on my boat.

SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:56 AM   #2
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
You set some difficult handicaps: current, broken wrist, etc no telling if I'd make it. But, I have done what I can to improve the chances.
photo 1 the original ladder was out of reach from the water, worse, if the dinghy was on the davits it would block the ladder (a very nice one) from swinging down into the water, plus the ladder was held in place by a latch high on the transom.
photo 2 I removed the existing ladder and installed one (Windline 3 step) which telescopes and slides under the swim platform it is not difficult to deploy from the water, unsnap a strap, pull it out and it tilts down. I also installed a hand hold on top of the swim platform to make it easier to climb out. The ladder won't show in the picture but it is under the stbd side of the swim platform under the white PVC "handhold"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gumbo Davits aft.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	48068   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012 swim platform.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	48069  

Old 01-11-2016, 09:14 AM   #3
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
WOW - So you want to make it easy, huh! - LOL

When aboard boat our 6' swim ladder at transom swim step is always available in either the down position or up position where simply a firm tug could bring it down. Knotted pull-uself-up thick knotted line is left in down position. 56 degree water saps energy quickly. Broken wrist is a real determinant for swimming or climbing aboard. Long as I made it to rear of boat, fighting the current with one hand and two feet, I'd find some way to climb back aboard. Some of my success might lie in the body weight carried at that time of life. I try to stay in a very fit 235 lbs... but some years, when no gym work was accomplished for a long time... I've been known to well exceed that number! -

Otherwise... Poppa Arthur, my favorite grand dad - died 1964, hope to see ya soon!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TO - 6' Swim Ladder 100_0430.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	48070   Click image for larger version

Name:	TO - 6' Swim Ladder 100_0421.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	48071  
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:16 AM   #4
Wannabe

Vessel Name: Stillwater
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTEDAVIS View Post
While we discuss emergency exiting elsewhere how about emergency re-boarding.

Could you?

Here is the scene, middle of the night you get up to check the anchor (pee over the side) and for what ever reason you fall overboard. You have the boat in the normal overnight condition that you always have it when overnight anchoring.

How about....

1. Water temp is 59^F

2. Current is 2.1 kts

3. Waves or chop

4. You broke your wrist in the fall.

No help is available, no life jacket or harness attached.

Can you get back in the boat? How? Why not?

Discuss

I will have a very hard time on my boat.
First off, don't pee off the side of your boat - it's the number on cause of drowning deaths among male boaters.

For me - do have a boarding ladder off my swimstep that can be deployed easily by a swimmer in the water. Then the question is could I get to it? Well if I was at the bow and fell off, with 2.1kt of current, my boat would be facing into the current and so I'd drift down the side of the boat. That gives me about 10-15 seconds to regain my senses before drifting past the stern. Hopefully that would be enough time for me to swim in and grab the swim platform (with my unbroken wrist ).

If there were bad conditions at night I would have my life jacket on.

Richard
Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:16 AM   #5
Guru

Nice Steve, that would work well. A+

Boats with a dive platform have a huge advantage but as you show require some thought and tweaking.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:29 AM   #6
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britannia View Post

First off, don't pee off the side of your boat - it's the number on cause of drowning deaths among male boaters.

Richard
Richard - That true... in recorded stats. Means I'm often a death defying Captain! How do pee-deaths get recorded as such? Taint no ability to determine what the fellow was a doing... less of course the wife was a watching!!
Old 01-11-2016, 09:33 AM   #7
Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Richard - That true... in recorded stats. Means I'm often a death defying Captain! How do pee-deaths get recorded as such? Taint no ability to determine what the fellow was a doing... less of course the wife was a watching!!
Open zipper is the indicator, so I'm told. Though I don't believe everything I read!

Richard
Old 01-11-2016, 09:34 AM   #8
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Actually, there was a definitive posting in National Fisherman IIRC about 20 years ago. Almost every fisherman who has gone overboard was found with zipper down. I have seen many people peeing into a scupper or on deck for this reason. There is some truth to the 'peeing over the side' being a literal issue.
cappy208 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:40 AM   #9
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Maybe mermaids got to them first.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:50 AM   #10
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
[QUOTE=SCOTTEDAVIS;403435]

How about....add any or all your choice.

1. Water temp is 59^F Yes

2. Current is 2.1 kts I'm a strong swimmer but I don't think I could swim into a 2.1 knot current. I'd be looking on how to get to shore.

3. Waves or chop Yes

4. You broke your wrist in the fall. Maybe? If not, I'd be screaming from being in so much pain, Lena or Morgan would wake up. We do have a folding swim platform ladder accessible from under the platform.

[QUOTE]
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:58 AM   #11
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I have to go with Steve on this one. One of the less advantaged features off a KK Manatee is getting back aboard. High bow, high side doors and high bulwarks make it more difficult to re-board than the average boat. We've gone to a lot of expense and effort to put together a system to facilitate the ease of re-boarding in such a situation. It would probably be safe to assume that the bow would be into the wind/current and that after the fall from the bow, one would tend to be directed along the side of the boat and aft. There, fenders on lines near the water will be at two points and since the beam of our boat is pretty consistent, it should be possible to grab a line with one hand, at least to give enough time to yell for help or figure out the next move. We installed a swim platform wide enough and with above-platform style tubing bent toward the outside of the transom, making it easy to move oneself from one fender to another on the side, then to the swim platform grab rail. We're having a custom ladder built that looks more like a dock ladder than a swim platform ladder. It extends to the water at about a 15 degree angle so climbing it will put the boarder in a forward leaning posture, as advised by Ted (OCdiver) on this forum. Steps will be wide and non-skid. One hand release and access might not be comfortable, but possible.

As an alternative, if one is not alone on the boat, the dinghy crane was set so that its radius will swing its load to either a side door entry or to the platform aft. Our life jackets are auto-inflate, off-shore type with harness attachments. We've agreed that we will both wear these jackets on trips out on the deck at night.

None of the boarding facilitation ideas above will trump the habit of simply wearing a harness as an on-deck rule, and clipping oneself to a security line running the length of the boat. If I can figure out a decent method of doing that, I would.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:04 AM   #12
Guru

Me?

At 59^f my Floridian body will not touch the water but hover above it and reverse direction.

Ok the current is a bit much, not much time to get back in, but I would make great time on the way to my next adventure.

Waves and chop could be bad and may be what put me in the water, if so shame on me for being dumb.

Broken wrist and no way am I getting back in as it is I have no easy way into the boat and the stowed swim ladder is not accessible from the water. No swim platform would leave me grabbing the sides of the boat to get to the hawse type cleats for a handhold then hope to be able to swing my foot up to same and using upper body muscles hope to pull myself up and over the rail.

I need to find a better way or stop getting older.

anyone have any of these?

Marine Emergency Ladders on Sale
Old 01-11-2016, 10:07 AM   #13
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
1 "reboarding device means a ladder, lifting harness or other device that does not include any part of the vessel’s propulsion unit and that assists a person to gain access to the vessel from the water. (dispositif de remontée à bord)"

Required by the Small Vessel Regulations to the Canada Shipping Act, for all vessels where the vertical height (distance a person in the water must climb from the surface of the water) is .5m or more.

Likely the same regulation governs in other jurisdictions. So if you don't have one, you need to get one.

2 The statistic applies to recovery of bodies. More are recovered with their fly down than not. This doesn't mean peeing over the side will kill you. It does mean that the old sailor's rule "one hand for the ship, one hand for yourself" is not followed enough. Be safe out there!
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:14 AM   #14
Guru

Koliver my boat was made in Canada 1987. New reg?
Old 01-11-2016, 10:26 AM   #15
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Scott
I can't tell from the consolidation I have referenced, as anything enacted prior to that date won't give me the originating date.
However, I have been doing safety inspections at our YC since about that date and have never been without those requirements.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:36 AM   #16
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britannia View Post
Open zipper is the indicator, so I'm told. Though I don't believe everything I read!

Richard
You wear pants to bed???
Old 01-11-2016, 10:39 AM   #17
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTEDAVIS View Post
Me?

At 59^f my Floridian body will not touch the water but hover above it and reverse direction.

Ok the current is a bit much, not much time to get back in, but I would make great time on the way to my next adventure.

Waves and chop could be bad and may be what put me in the water, if so shame on me for being dumb.

Broken wrist and no way am I getting back in as it is I have no easy way into the boat and the stowed swim ladder is not accessible from the water. No swim platform would leave me grabbing the sides of the boat to get to the hawse type cleats for a handhold then hope to be able to swing my foot up to same and using upper body muscles hope to pull myself up and over the rail.

I need to find a better way or stop getting older.

anyone have any of these?

Marine Emergency Ladders on Sale

I need to ... stop getting older... = 12 ga. Age ceases!
Old 01-11-2016, 11:13 AM   #18
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Per many earlier discussions, neither I nor anyone else on the boat pees over the side or any other place other than a head.

Also, we don't get up and go out on deck in the middle of the night alone. We have a second "watch" person. If something made one of us feel the need to go check then we both get up and go.

Depending on the activity, we'd put on a flotation device.

As to the scenario given, 2.1 knot current isn't overwhelming. It's less than half the speed of swimming so manageable.

Now we could get back on the boat on the stern. The platform can be used initially just to calm down and get beyond any anxiety created and then the ladder used to get out of the water. Our ladder is easily accessed.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 11:23 AM   #19
Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
You wear pants to bed???
You don't??
Old 01-11-2016, 11:24 AM   #20
Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post

Also, we don't get up and go out on deck in the middle of the night alone. We have a second "watch" person. If something made one of us feel the need to go check then we both get up and go.

As a single hander I don't have a choice in this one.

Richard