Midnight Re-boarding, can you? Alone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And you threw a 10 year old off a boat at 25 mph? :eek:

Ok. I will bust chops....

It's not about 'falling in' (or shoving )when someone is there to help.

It's not about a manly contest to see who can climb back aboard on a good day when you planned on going in.

It's not about 'one upping' the other guy on being in shape.

It's about loosing balance, hitting your head, possibly breaking an arm (or leg) in the fall and/or having the wind knocked out of you on the way in the water.

Then having no one to assist you back aboard. What would your plan be if you were injured, alone and couldn't get back aboard? Some of us are older, not in as good a shape, have a SO who can't lift us out of the water.

I'm thinking of getting a transom mounted 3 rung ladder to mount. http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...-stick-under-platform-3-step-ladder--12868675

That way it can be grabbed by someone in the water and pulled in to climb onboard.

And the simple block and tackle for emergency use is a GREAT Idea

Here's another one we use on the pilot boat.
http://www.manoverboardsystems.com/matesaver-man-overboard-retrievel-system.html

Last edited:
......On her first trip out without a life jacket i grabbed her without warning and threw her off the boat at about 25 mph to see how she reacted. She just dog paddled calmly till we circled back to get her. I said okay then you don't have to always wear it since you passed my test.

The danger of injury aside, that's a really sadistic and disturbing thing for a father to do to his 10 year old daughter. I'm glad your daughter was a "good sport" and took it in stride (or at least acted that way) but if my father had done that to me, I would have never set foot on a boat with him again. What a bully, and what a sadistic way to "test" a child's swimming ability. I hope that little story was exaggerated for effect, or something.

The danger of injury aside, that's a really sadistic and disturbing thing for a father to do to his 10 year old daughter. I'm glad your daughter was a "good sport" and took it in stride (or at least acted that way) but if my father had done that to me, I would have never set foot on a boat with him again. What a bully, and what a sadistic way to "test" a child's swimming ability. I hope that little story was exaggerated for effect, or something.

Wifey B: What I find more disturbing is that he would post that he'd done that, doesn't realize it was wrong, is actually proud of it. :angry:

I hope he rethinks it and other things like it. People don't realize some times the scars things they do leave as kids act ok, but remember. I know the pain of my childhood scars although mine were ill intended, but my hubby has scars from parents who didn't intend to be cruel.

Where was your wife for all this? Does she know? Was there no responsible adult around?

Very true, although I always keep an eye on my guests.
The" off topic"(sort of) misconduct discussion does not involve a guest. Maybe we should be looking at the ability of children to reboard, probably unassisted, as a test extension.

I have a multi-step 6' tall ladder on swim step port side that is easily deployed while in water; with knotted pull-up line included. I can climb aboard swim step without ladder; It's only about 10" off water level. Positive my wife could not. I never figure anyone can handle themselves for getting aboard without ladder and it's knotted pull-up line deployed. We keep a spotter on guard when someone is in water alone. Not so much when two or more are in water at same time... simply swimming. :D

Aspect of getting back in boat from water is usually no big deal when everything is planned. :thumb:

But, when something goes awry... like falling overboard and being hurt at same time... it's a whole different ballgame altogether. :eek:

Attachments

• Ladder 100_0421.JPG
    Ladder 100_0421.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 72
Just to repeat, whatever system you have or think you have, test it a few times. A rope or web ladder can be extremely difficult to use in the water.
Having a Lifesling and/or a block and tackle is almost useless if you've never practiced using it , including someone in board knowing and practicing how to bring the boat safely into position to someone floating in the water. Try the latter on an inanimate object such as a bundle of PFDs first!

That is the nice thing about the lifesling style recovery....it doesn't require great boat handling skills as you just encircle the PIW till wrapped in the line and then haul them in closer to the boat.

The tricky part is if the onboard people really don't get the whole block and tackle thing...and don't be surprised how many don't...especially if not former sailors. So a few practice runs are a great idea.

It does work for getting incapacitated (to a point) people back on board even if someone else has to go in to assist. However not so good when just one or two onboard and its really rough and the only person onboard has to leave the helm.

I've spent a lot of time and $$ trying to design-in solutions for overboard situations when doing our new electronics, swim platform, dinghy crane, transom door modifications and converting block & tackle systems on dinghy crane and twin davits to hand-crank winches. There will be another hand winch added to the overhead of the veranda for pulling a victim in from the swim platform, the new life jackets will have harnesses and an additional Life Sling will be added forward. The selection of a thick, easy to grip and climb "angled" boarding ladder, launchable from the water, will finish out the package. In the end, it will be a pretty good system, all of which will still be totally reliant on the overboard victim being conscious.

No matter how much you do, there will always be a plethora of overboard scenarios that will defeat your plan. My boat was a very difficult boat to get back aboard ...and soon it will be easy. That should be the central focus of any OB plan.

Moonpool? :D

Tough to keep real safety issues light hearted....there are many ways to get people back on board...each boat (style) has some that work better than others.

Like CPR for a heart attack..best to keep people on board in the first place....but a good recovery method is handy if you need it, just hope it works..

Had an interesting thing happen last weekend. While 'snapping' the ladder into its sockets on the gunnel I noticed the stainless button was about half torn off.

Wasn't an issue, but now is at the welder getting tacked back on. Worth looking over the ladders to check.

This is just the ordinary WM ladder. I'm sure it's not just mine that is cracking.

My swim ladder can be deployed from the water and I can hang onto the swim platform while deploying the ladder. I can't answer the other questions, but the best plan is not to fall into the water in the first place.

I have actually tested my reboarding plan. I was sitting on the tube of my dinghy when my wife got in. She is supposed to step in the middle and sit on the other tube. She decided it would be easier to sit on the swim platform and slide onto the same tube I was sitting on. Not a good plan for an 8' inflatable dinghy.

well I am only 44 and a Marine, so short answer yes I could.

But lots of good reading in this thread, and plenty of good ideas!

There are a few things that I would hit on the way to the water if the Admiral throws me off of the flybridge.... trying to keep it light... and there is a value to being fat making it more difficult for her to toss me....

On the serious note - Since my dinghy is on the swim platform it is worth having a plan B for reboarding if I unexpectedly find myself in the drink. Never thought of it, which is why these threads are valuable.

There are a few things that I would hit on the way to the water if the Admiral throws me off of the flybridge.... trying to keep it light... and there is a value to being fat making it more difficult for her to toss me....

On the serious note - Since my dinghy is on the swim platform it is worth having a plan B for reboarding if I unexpectedly find myself in the drink. Never thought of it, which is why these threads are valuable.

You raise an excellent point. Frequently when we are at anchor, we pull the dinghy up when its not in use. We have a Seawise davit. The ding sits on the swim platform and when it's in position, the ladder will not extend into the water and the ding blocks most of the swim platform as well so even if the ladder was extended, I couldn't climb out. The nose of the ding does taper at the bow, leaving a small portion of the step open, but that's not where the ladder is, and I am not sure now I could haul myself out--I could once upon a time. I am still a strong swimmer, but launching myself up to the height where I could get on the swim platform, I don't think so. I am going to think about other alternatives.

well I am only 44 and a Marine, so short answer yes I could.

But lots of good reading in this thread, and plenty of good ideas!

Have you tried it, including being a little winded from swimming to it? I note the word "could" rather than "can"?

Have you tried it, including being a little winded from swimming to it? I note the word "could" rather than "can"?

To be honest no I have not, but I swim like a fish and climb like a goat and I doubt I would fall in to begin with:banghead: I do understand what you mean, I used the word could referring to the fact the boat I have now is only a 18.5' ski boat and is more apples to oranges. My swim platforms are next to the outdrive so even without the ladder down I can get in very easy, I am 6'4" with long orangutan arms and big hands with long fingers so I can reach up to the top of the transom from the water. So in my old SeaRay I know I can, when I get a bigger boat I would imagine I would have no issues either knowing my physical abilities and mental drive so say I could.

Been awhile since I read this thread. I really like RealMounties idea of the rock climbing aid. I've got an old Petzl etrier I can repurpose to that.

Of course in the harbour, we Have both pull down and permanent ladders. The nice thing about the pull downs is that they aren't covered in barnacles and mussels.

To be honest no I have not, but I swim like a fish and climb like a goat and I doubt I would fall in to begin with:banghead: I do understand what you mean, I used the word could referring to the fact the boat I have now is only a 18.5' ski boat and is more apples to oranges. My swim platforms are next to the outdrive so even without the ladder down I can get in very easy, I am 6'4" with long orangutan arms and big hands with long fingers so I can reach up to the top of the transom from the water. So in my old SeaRay I know I can, when I get a bigger boat I would imagine I would have no issues either knowing my physical abilities and mental drive so say I could.

So why not try? Go for a good swim and give it a shot. When you fall in accidentally, who knows what condition you and the seas it is in will be?

Assume and plan for the worst....

That can be a little different for different people and situations.....

While anyone can be incapacitated in a second...some people are stil, 10X more capable than the next....just plan for your worst case scenario..

Curious about this subject for a long time, I conducted some testing two weeks ago. I intentionally "fell" onto the water adjacent to a client's boat, first wearing a bathing suit, and then fully clothed, and each time climbed up onto the swim platform, and then did so again using the boarding ladder, and filmed it all. The vessel was a 55 foot trawler. I also had a scale set up on the swim platform to record my weight before and after falling in when clothed, which I also photographed. The wet clothes added 17 pounds. The water was bathtub warm, so no cold water shock issue to contend with. I'm pretty fit and was able, with some difficulty, to climb out of the water without the ladder, when fully clothed. This might be worth testing on your own boat.

Ultimately, however, every vessel should have a means of relatively easy re-boarding for those who fall overboard.

I have the 4 rung ladder under hung on the swim platform. Piece of cake to deploy from in the water. Unhook the rubber strap and just pull out . Found the 4 rung much easier for a big guy than the 3 rung model to climb up on.

We had an unplanned test of our man overboard *plan the other day and failed (sorta).

A few friends were visiting us while we were in a transient slip in Annapolis. As one of them was disembarking, a gust of wind kicked up at the exact wrong moment and SPLASH! down he went between the boat and the dock.

We were lucky that
1) he was not seriously injured (i.e. head injury, dislocated shoulder, broken bone, etc)
2) he was not impaired by alcohol
3) it wasn't quite dark yet
4) the water wasn't cold
5) the weather was calm.
6) there was not stray current in the water (if you don't know what that is go look it up right now. I'll wait.)
7) the rest of us were not impaired with alcohol so that we were able to work the problem.

We immediately dropped him a life ring followed by a square float with arm straps. I had just read that the life rings and older cheap life jackets can lose their ability to float over time depending on age, condition and manufacture. I think the floats with straps are easier on the person in the water as well. Luckily our ring floats and both were handy in the aft cockpit.

We placed the boarding ladder (also handy on the aft cockpit) on the stern brackets and lowered the swim platform as he dog paddled around to the stern. We also tied a dock line to a cleat and gave him the loop end so he could hang on and take some of his weight. He's a very big man. He stepped one foot on the ladder and the bottom half broke away and just fell straight to the bottom. No way he's getting onto the swim platform now.

By this time he's getting pretty fatigued and starting to panic. And it's starting to get dark.

There was not a dock ladder within reach. Normally, we would not dream of boarding a strangers boat, but we felt the situation warranted it. We guided him to a sailboat in the slip next to us with a lower swim platform and a sturdy looking ladder that hinged into the water. And we were able to get him out. We did let the dock hands know the next day that we used that boat.

I know many of you are going to suggest a lot of things we could have done differently. And you're right. But, we felt speed was important. We'll be making several changes along with a sturdy new ladder. And we've gone over a variety of things we could have done if the sailboat had not been there. We'll also be practicing using the dinghy crane, but frankly I'm not sure that would have been as helpful as we think.

It turned out relatively okay for our friend (it could have been very bad). He had a gash and huge bump on his leg and a really nasty bruise on his arm. And an ear infection from the water.

This thread was very helpful to us during this ordeal as I had just read it not long ago. I would not normally have put as much importance on fatigue had I not read it.

*we clearly did not have an adequate plan. In our defense, we've only owned the boat for about 6 weeks.

Last edited:
We had an unplanned test of our man overboard *plan the other day and failed (sorta).

Thanks so much for sharing. You pointed out all the things that can happen and many that fortunately did not happen in your case. Many pitfalls and just how difficult it can be. I'm sure you'll do better next time, but your understanding of the seriousness led you to quick and good thinking this time. The ones who concern me more are those who think they and their boat could never have a problem. We all could have a problem and it's the small differences in situations that are the difference in life and death. These things don't always involve the best swimmer or the smallest person, nor warm water, nor are they always injury free. There are so many things that can go wrong. You pointed out so well one of the most important things for us all to remember and that is, "just because it all works out ok, doesn't mean we had the best plan possible."

Again, glad it all worked out and you sharing it is valuable for all of us and the forum as a whole.

What has this pic got to do with the theme of the thread..? Simply this. We have a telescopic, slide out boarding ladder thus....

However, a repair to the starboard bracket supporting the end of the swim step, under which you can see the ladder is attached, had developed a crack, and when it was repaired last haul out , the head of a bolt used for the reinforcing bracket, without my noticing it, ended up impeding the easy sliding out of the ladder. This has bugged me ever since for the same reasons this thread was started, so we have waited with mild concern until this haul out to take an angle grinder to that offending bolt, to allow it to easily be pulled out by someone in the water, which then makes climbing out very easy. Ok, so out she comes for the bottom clean, antifoul, and to fix that damn bracket so the ladder slides out easily. I was impressed with how the PropSpeed had done it's job, I must say.

Attachments

• IMG_0072.JPG
    IMG_0072.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0455.jpg
    IMG_0455.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Of course in the harbour, we Have both pull down and permanent ladders. The nice thing about the pull downs is that they aren't covered in barnacles and mussels.

Boarding ladders on the docks disappear in many cases as you leave the US, Canada and Australia. This makes the boat's own boarding ladder ever more important.

It is one thing to fall in and not be injured in some way to be able to get back into the boat.
But what if by falling in you have hurt yourself, sprained something, broke something, whacked your head, now it is that much harder to get back in.
That easy to get back in since you are physically very fit may now be very hard if your hurt.

I wonder if you see a shark would that give you an energy boost to get back in?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom