Old 06-20-2016, 08:26 PM   #181
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Midnight Re-boarding, can you? Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

And you threw a 10 year old off a boat at 25 mph?
Ok. I will bust chops....

It's not about 'falling in' (or shoving )when someone is there to help.

It's not about a manly contest to see who can climb back aboard on a good day when you planned on going in.

It's not about 'one upping' the other guy on being in shape.

It's about loosing balance, hitting your head, possibly breaking an arm (or leg) in the fall and/or having the wind knocked out of you on the way in the water.

Then having no one to assist you back aboard. What would your plan be if you were injured, alone and couldn't get back aboard? Some of us are older, not in as good a shape, have a SO who can't lift us out of the water.

I'm thinking of getting a transom mounted 3 rung ladder to mount. http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-m...dder--12868675

That way it can be grabbed by someone in the water and pulled in to climb onboard.

And the simple block and tackle for emergency use is a GREAT Idea

Here's another one we use on the pilot boat.
http://www.manoverboardsystems.com/m...el-system.html

cappy208 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:07 PM   #182
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurrying Nowhere View Post
......On her first trip out without a life jacket i grabbed her without warning and threw her off the boat at about 25 mph to see how she reacted. She just dog paddled calmly till we circled back to get her. I said okay then you don't have to always wear it since you passed my test.
The danger of injury aside, that's a really sadistic and disturbing thing for a father to do to his 10 year old daughter. I'm glad your daughter was a "good sport" and took it in stride (or at least acted that way) but if my father had done that to me, I would have never set foot on a boat with him again. What a bully, and what a sadistic way to "test" a child's swimming ability. I hope that little story was exaggerated for effect, or something.

kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:18 PM   #183
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
The danger of injury aside, that's a really sadistic and disturbing thing for a father to do to his 10 year old daughter. I'm glad your daughter was a "good sport" and took it in stride (or at least acted that way) but if my father had done that to me, I would have never set foot on a boat with him again. What a bully, and what a sadistic way to "test" a child's swimming ability. I hope that little story was exaggerated for effect, or something.
Wifey B: What I find more disturbing is that he would post that he'd done that, doesn't realize it was wrong, is actually proud of it.

I hope he rethinks it and other things like it. People don't realize some times the scars things they do leave as kids act ok, but remember. I know the pain of my childhood scars although mine were ill intended, but my hubby has scars from parents who didn't intend to be cruel.

Where was your wife for all this? Does she know? Was there no responsible adult around?
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:20 PM   #184
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Back to the concept of getting back aboard....

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:26 PM   #185
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Back to the concept of getting back aboard....
It's not just enough to have solutions to get back aboard. Make sure your guests know how.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:29 PM   #186
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
It's not just enough to have solutions to get back aboard. Make sure your guests know how.
Very true, although I always keep an eye on my guests.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:39 PM   #187
Guru

Quote:
So you're not watching where you're going? One only has so many eyes. lol
Old 06-20-2016, 11:29 PM   #188
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The" off topic"(sort of) misconduct discussion does not involve a guest. Maybe we should be looking at the ability of children to reboard, probably unassisted, as a test extension.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:57 PM   #189
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
I have a multi-step 6' tall ladder on swim step port side that is easily deployed while in water; with knotted pull-up line included. I can climb aboard swim step without ladder; It's only about 10" off water level. Positive my wife could not. I never figure anyone can handle themselves for getting aboard without ladder and it's knotted pull-up line deployed. We keep a spotter on guard when someone is in water alone. Not so much when two or more are in water at same time... simply swimming.

Aspect of getting back in boat from water is usually no big deal when everything is planned.

But, when something goes awry... like falling overboard and being hurt at same time... it's a whole different ballgame altogether.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ladder 100_0421.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	53330  
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 05:22 AM   #190
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Just to repeat, whatever system you have or think you have, test it a few times. A rope or web ladder can be extremely difficult to use in the water.
Having a Lifesling and/or a block and tackle is almost useless if you've never practiced using it , including someone in board knowing and practicing how to bring the boat safely into position to someone floating in the water. Try the latter on an inanimate object such as a bundle of PFDs first!

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 05:43 AM   #191
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
That is the nice thing about the lifesling style recovery....it doesn't require great boat handling skills as you just encircle the PIW till wrapped in the line and then haul them in closer to the boat.

The tricky part is if the onboard people really don't get the whole block and tackle thing...and don't be surprised how many don't...especially if not former sailors. So a few practice runs are a great idea.

It does work for getting incapacitated (to a point) people back on board even if someone else has to go in to assist. However not so good when just one or two onboard and its really rough and the only person onboard has to leave the helm.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:58 AM   #192
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I've spent a lot of time and $$ trying to design-in solutions for overboard situations when doing our new electronics, swim platform, dinghy crane, transom door modifications and converting block & tackle systems on dinghy crane and twin davits to hand-crank winches. There will be another hand winch added to the overhead of the veranda for pulling a victim in from the swim platform, the new life jackets will have harnesses and an additional Life Sling will be added forward. The selection of a thick, easy to grip and climb "angled" boarding ladder, launchable from the water, will finish out the package. In the end, it will be a pretty good system, all of which will still be totally reliant on the overboard victim being conscious.

No matter how much you do, there will always be a plethora of overboard scenarios that will defeat your plan. My boat was a very difficult boat to get back aboard ...and soon it will be easy. That should be the central focus of any OB plan.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 10:20 AM   #193
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Moonpool?

Tough to keep real safety issues light hearted....there are many ways to get people back on board...each boat (style) has some that work better than others.

Like CPR for a heart attack..best to keep people on board in the first place....but a good recovery method is handy if you need it, just hope it works..
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:35 AM   #194
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Had an interesting thing happen last weekend. While 'snapping' the ladder into its sockets on the gunnel I noticed the stainless button was about half torn off.

Wasn't an issue, but now is at the welder getting tacked back on. Worth looking over the ladders to check.

This is just the ordinary WM ladder. I'm sure it's not just mine that is cracking.
cappy208 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:42 AM   #195
Guru

City: East Coast
My swim ladder can be deployed from the water and I can hang onto the swim platform while deploying the ladder. I can't answer the other questions, but the best plan is not to fall into the water in the first place.

I have actually tested my reboarding plan. I was sitting on the tube of my dinghy when my wife got in. She is supposed to step in the middle and sit on the other tube. She decided it would be easier to sit on the swim platform and slide onto the same tube I was sitting on. Not a good plan for an 8' inflatable dinghy.
WesK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 10:37 AM   #196
Veteran Member

City: Brandon, MS
Vessel Model: 1986 Sea Ray Seville, 18.5'
well I am only 44 and a Marine, so short answer yes I could.

But lots of good reading in this thread, and plenty of good ideas!
Warwgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 10:53 AM   #197

City: Kingsville, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Ride
Vessel Model: Albin 36 D/C Hull 46 Dec 1978
There are a few things that I would hit on the way to the water if the Admiral throws me off of the flybridge.... trying to keep it light... and there is a value to being fat making it more difficult for her to toss me....

On the serious note - Since my dinghy is on the swim platform it is worth having a plan B for reboarding if I unexpectedly find myself in the drink. Never thought of it, which is why these threads are valuable.
Old 09-02-2016, 02:08 PM   #198

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Poach
Vessel Model: Sabreline Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanddreamer View Post
There are a few things that I would hit on the way to the water if the Admiral throws me off of the flybridge.... trying to keep it light... and there is a value to being fat making it more difficult for her to toss me....

On the serious note - Since my dinghy is on the swim platform it is worth having a plan B for reboarding if I unexpectedly find myself in the drink. Never thought of it, which is why these threads are valuable.
You raise an excellent point. Frequently when we are at anchor, we pull the dinghy up when its not in use. We have a Seawise davit. The ding sits on the swim platform and when it's in position, the ladder will not extend into the water and the ding blocks most of the swim platform as well so even if the ladder was extended, I couldn't climb out. The nose of the ding does taper at the bow, leaving a small portion of the step open, but that's not where the ladder is, and I am not sure now I could haul myself out--I could once upon a time. I am still a strong swimmer, but launching myself up to the height where I could get on the swim platform, I don't think so. I am going to think about other alternatives.
Poach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 03:08 PM   #199
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwgn View Post
well I am only 44 and a Marine, so short answer yes I could.

But lots of good reading in this thread, and plenty of good ideas!
Have you tried it, including being a little winded from swimming to it? I note the word "could" rather than "can"?

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 03:19 PM   #200
Veteran Member

City: Brandon, MS
Vessel Model: 1986 Sea Ray Seville, 18.5'
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Have you tried it, including being a little winded from swimming to it? I note the word "could" rather than "can"?
To be honest no I have not, but I swim like a fish and climb like a goat and I doubt I would fall in to begin with I do understand what you mean, I used the word could referring to the fact the boat I have now is only a 18.5' ski boat and is more apples to oranges. My swim platforms are next to the outdrive so even without the ladder down I can get in very easy, I am 6'4" with long orangutan arms and big hands with long fingers so I can reach up to the top of the transom from the water. So in my old SeaRay I know I can, when I get a bigger boat I would imagine I would have no issues either knowing my physical abilities and mental drive so say I could.

Warwgn is offline   Reply With Quote