Old 01-08-2016, 08:44 PM   #1
Scraping Paint

City: -
Miami Question

Was producing a project today that required a lot of CGI animation design work. One of the scenes has a 787 climbing out over Miami. The backplate is real footage, the airplane is CGI animation.

As the camera moves back it reveals a sort of sandbar thing with a whole bunch of boats over it. I assume the whole inlet was shallow and the channels were dredged at some point. For those of you familiar with this part of Miami, what's the attraction of this particular sandbar. Fishing, a place to hang out, drug deliveries.....?

Here's a frame from the scene.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	787 Miami.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	48020  

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 10:35 PM   #2
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
That's called Haulover inlet. It a little North of where I play. There are several sandbars like that in the Miami area. People like to anchor or beach on the sandbar and picnic or just hang out in the shallow water. Not on their boats, actually in the water. It's like going to the beach but you need a boat to get there.
The inlet has an interesting story. It was a narrow spot in the barrier island and boats that wanted to get to the ocean would get "hauled over" to the ocean there. I think the inlet was formed by a hurricane but I'll have to look that up to be sure. The beach on the ocean side is a nude beach. I've been banned.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:39 PM   #3
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
One of hundreds along the East coast.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 10:40 PM   #4
Guru

City: Sidney
Just a big kiddie pool Marin, just a big kiddie pool.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 10:48 PM   #5
Guru

Here ya go Marin
Party at the Haulover Sandbar in Miami
Not a place for old trawler farts like us but the young folks seem to enjoy it.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:26 PM   #6
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
As far as drugs go, I'm not sure much in the way of drugs gets moved on the sand bar. But tons came through that inlet back in the day. And some even now at times I would guess.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 11:39 PM   #7
Guru

The inlet was cut through the island in 1925. The next year the 1926 hurricane destroyed the new bridge over the cut.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:57 AM   #8
Scraping Paint

Okay, thanks much for the info. I'll pass it on to the designers on Monday.
Old 01-09-2016, 06:34 AM   #9

City: South Florida
MIA is many miles to the South of Haulover, a jet would not normally climb out over that area

Keysdisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 11:03 AM   #10
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
I've seen many sandbars like this and know people who go to them regularly. They are just party places where people go to swim or wade in the water and party.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 11:05 AM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysdisease View Post
MIA is many miles to the South of Haulover, a jet would not normally climb out over that area
A crow tells me it's 12 miles and he's dodging European flights over Bal Harbour all the time.

POV of Marin's shot doesn't seem right though. Too low maybe and where is the supposed camera? But then, it's Hollywood, right?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	48024  
Old 01-09-2016, 11:34 AM   #12

City: South Florida
Haulover is more in line with the airways coming out of Opa Locka than MIA. Might even be a conflict with the Opa Locka take off and landing paths.

Most MIA flights that take off to the East (prevailing wind direction) make their turn after getting over the Ocean.

Keysdisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 12:08 PM   #13
Scraping Paint

For those of you bickerinng about where a plane would be over Miami go back and read my original post VERY carefully. Pay particular attention to the letters "CGI."

This scene is from a marketing video for the 787, and just like the use of the word "trawler" to describe toy boats, there is no requirement for reality in marketing.
Old 01-09-2016, 12:18 PM   #14
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Pay particular attention to the letters "CGI."
For those of you confused by the alphabet soup, CGI is computer generated imagery.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 12:35 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin
For those of you bickering...Pay particular attention to the letters "CGI."...there is no requirement for reality in marketing.
I don't know how any self respecting, get it right, be honest, perfectionist can sleep at night.

Bickering?
Rof!
CGI is why I commented on POV and also the fact it was Hollywood (CA not FL).

The masses don't grasp the smoke and mirror created imaging errors any better than they grasp that a trawler is not a trawler.

BTW, Princess Leila AND Carrie Fisher really are still 20 something. Old age was created in the pretties trailer. Wasn't it?

What is it they say baffles brains?
Old 01-09-2016, 01:13 PM   #16
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
As far as drugs go, I'm not sure much in the way of drugs gets moved on the sand bar. But tons came through that inlet back in the day. And some even now at times I would guess.
Back in the early 80s...when MJ smuggling hit its peak....

A USCG Warrant Officer friend of mine was having dinner at the restaurant right at the inlet.

The next day at work he related...." suddenly a black go fast went zooming by with no lights....closely followed by a DEA go fast...followed by a USCG patrol boat...followed by a local police boat...followed by a USCG and Miami Dade helicopters at almost eye level....all in just a handful of seconds"....he said everyone looked up...then went back to eating like it was an everyday occurrence.

A bit later, coming in on a training mission I saw a black go fast sitting idleing right off Baker's Haulover. Knowing they only go 60mph or are broken down...I returned to base and requested another helo to investigate. Granted permisssion, we went searching and overheard a USCG patrol boat in pursuit of this vessel down near Government cut in Miami.

No way the patrol boat could keep up...but we could. We chased that boat for miles, picking up bales of MJ as they tossed them overboard. We were in the old amphibious helos back then. We probably picked up 10-15 bales and started to worry about weight as some we soggy at that point. The boat rammed itself into Elliot Key and the crew disappeared into the mangroves and were never caught.

We used to laugh when the TV show Miami Vice came out as some of the plots weren't as good as what was really going on all around the sets. We joked....come out to the Air Station...we got stories to curl your toes...
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:40 PM   #17
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgwash View Post

What is it they say baffles brains?
b o o b i e s!!!!!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:44 PM   #18
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
b o o b i e s!!!!!

I love a nice pair of boobies

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1452365053.920332.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	48027

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 03:01 PM   #19
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Wifey B: The "clothing optional" beach (yes, they accept any level of dress or undress vs a true nude beach which would disallow clothing) is actually a very nice beach with well behaved beach-goer's. It is never as crowded as South Beach, for instance. Far less wild than the partiers on the sandbar and islands. A beautiful beach with all the top amenities of any Miami beach. That's what really sets it apart as in many places those who want to sun bathe nude are sent to the beach around on the other side of the rocks where there is no food cart, no umbrellas, no lounges, and no restrooms. The rules on behavior are actually followed much better here than on most beaches. The "nude" section is only a small portion of the total beach there but it's the part at least 70% of those who go there use. Haulover has up to 7,000 people on it's busiest days.

People from other areas are shocked at the beach attire on even the tamest South Florida beach and then the toplessness of South Beach, then Haulover. To those of us who live here, it's just a part of every day life.

Of course I'm only posting based on hearsay as I'm much too shy to visit such places.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 03:05 PM   #20
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
We used to laugh when the TV show Miami Vice came out as some of the plots weren't as good as what was really going on all around the sets. We joked....come out to the Air Station...we got stories to curl your toes...
While the fast boats in the cloak of darkness are still part of the scene, often now the drugs will arrive on larger yachts or on slower boats, even trawler types thinking they will avoid suspicion. However, boats' coming and going is monitored and those suspicious tracked. They also try entry at other Marinas such as West Palm or even further up.

It's much like smuggling in through airports with grandmother types or mothers traveling with babies.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote