Miami Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marin

Guru
Was producing a project today that required a lot of CGI animation design work. One of the scenes has a 787 climbing out over Miami. The backplate is real footage, the airplane is CGI animation.

As the camera moves back it reveals a sort of sandbar thing with a whole bunch of boats over it. I assume the whole inlet was shallow and the channels were dredged at some point. For those of you familiar with this part of Miami, what's the attraction of this particular sandbar. Fishing, a place to hang out, drug deliveries.....?

Here's a frame from the scene.

Attachments

• 787 Miami.jpg
    787 Miami.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:
That's called Haulover inlet. It a little North of where I play. There are several sandbars like that in the Miami area. People like to anchor or beach on the sandbar and picnic or just hang out in the shallow water. Not on their boats, actually in the water. It's like going to the beach but you need a boat to get there.
The inlet has an interesting story. It was a narrow spot in the barrier island and boats that wanted to get to the ocean would get "hauled over" to the ocean there. I think the inlet was formed by a hurricane but I'll have to look that up to be sure. The beach on the ocean side is a nude beach. I've been banned.

One of hundreds along the East coast.

As far as drugs go, I'm not sure much in the way of drugs gets moved on the sand bar. But tons came through that inlet back in the day. And some even now at times I would guess. :D

The inlet was cut through the island in 1925. The next year the 1926 hurricane destroyed the new bridge over the cut.

Okay, thanks much for the info. I'll pass it on to the designers on Monday.

MIA is many miles to the South of Haulover, a jet would not normally climb out over that area

:socool:

I've seen many sandbars like this and know people who go to them regularly. They are just party places where people go to swim or wade in the water and party.

MIA is many miles to the South of Haulover, a jet would not normally climb out over that area
A crow tells me it's 12 miles and he's dodging European flights over Bal Harbour all the time.;)

POV of Marin's shot doesn't seem right though. Too low maybe and where is the supposed camera? But then, it's Hollywood, right?

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
Haulover is more in line with the airways coming out of Opa Locka than MIA. Might even be a conflict with the Opa Locka take off and landing paths.

Most MIA flights that take off to the East (prevailing wind direction) make their turn after getting over the Ocean.

For those of you bickerinng about where a plane would be over Miami go back and read my original post VERY carefully. Pay particular attention to the letters "CGI.":)

This scene is from a marketing video for the 787, and just like the use of the word "trawler" to describe toy boats, there is no requirement for reality in marketing.:)

Marin said:
For those of you bickering...Pay particular attention to the letters "CGI."...there is no requirement for reality in marketing.:)
I don't know how any self respecting, get it right, be honest, perfectionist can sleep at night.:rolleyes:

Bickering?
Rof!
CGI is why I commented on POV and also the fact it was Hollywood (CA not FL).

The masses don't grasp the smoke and mirror created imaging errors any better than they grasp that a trawler is not a trawler.

BTW, Princess Leila AND Carrie Fisher really are still 20 something. Old age was created in the pretties trailer. Wasn't it?

:confused: What is it they say baffles brains?

Last edited:
As far as drugs go, I'm not sure much in the way of drugs gets moved on the sand bar. But tons came through that inlet back in the day. And some even now at times I would guess. :D

Back in the early 80s...when MJ smuggling hit its peak....

A USCG Warrant Officer friend of mine was having dinner at the restaurant right at the inlet.

The next day at work he related...." suddenly a black go fast went zooming by with no lights....closely followed by a DEA go fast...followed by a USCG patrol boat...followed by a local police boat...followed by a USCG and Miami Dade helicopters at almost eye level....all in just a handful of seconds"....he said everyone looked up...then went back to eating like it was an everyday occurrence.

A bit later, coming in on a training mission I saw a black go fast sitting idleing right off Baker's Haulover. Knowing they only go 60mph or are broken down...I returned to base and requested another helo to investigate. Granted permisssion, we went searching and overheard a USCG patrol boat in pursuit of this vessel down near Government cut in Miami.

No way the patrol boat could keep up...but we could. We chased that boat for miles, picking up bales of MJ as they tossed them overboard. We were in the old amphibious helos back then. We probably picked up 10-15 bales and started to worry about weight as some we soggy at that point. The boat rammed itself into Elliot Key and the crew disappeared into the mangroves and were never caught.

We used to laugh when the TV show Miami Vice came out as some of the plots weren't as good as what was really going on all around the sets. We joked....come out to the Air Station...we got stories to curl your toes...:D

Last edited:
Wifey B: The "clothing optional" beach (yes, they accept any level of dress or undress vs a true nude beach which would disallow clothing) is actually a very nice beach with well behaved beach-goer's. It is never as crowded as South Beach, for instance. Far less wild than the partiers on the sandbar and islands. A beautiful beach with all the top amenities of any Miami beach. That's what really sets it apart as in many places those who want to sun bathe nude are sent to the beach around on the other side of the rocks where there is no food cart, no umbrellas, no lounges, and no restrooms. The rules on behavior are actually followed much better here than on most beaches. The "nude" section is only a small portion of the total beach there but it's the part at least 70% of those who go there use. Haulover has up to 7,000 people on it's busiest days.

People from other areas are shocked at the beach attire on even the tamest South Florida beach and then the toplessness of South Beach, then Haulover. To those of us who live here, it's just a part of every day life.

Of course I'm only posting based on hearsay as I'm much too shy to visit such places. ;)

We used to laugh when the TV show Miami Vice came out as some of the plots weren't as good as what was really going on all around the sets. We joked....come out to the Air Station...we got stories to curl your toes...:D

While the fast boats in the cloak of darkness are still part of the scene, often now the drugs will arrive on larger yachts or on slower boats, even trawler types thinking they will avoid suspicion. However, boats' coming and going is monitored and those suspicious tracked. They also try entry at other Marinas such as West Palm or even further up.

It's much like smuggling in through airports with grandmother types or mothers traveling with babies.

For those of you bickerinng about where a plane would be over Miami go back and read my original post VERY carefully. Pay particular attention to the letters "CGI.":)

This scene is from a marketing video for the 787, and just like the use of the word "trawler" to describe toy boats, there is no requirement for reality in marketing.:)

I would think as long as your doing marketing it would be just as easy to be accurate as not. When I see obvious errors in CGI marketing I tend to discount the product figuring if they can't get their marketing accurate what else have they screwed up.

Being as how you have no clue who our audience is, how we are marketing the plane, what we want to illustrate in the video, what this particular scene is demonstrating, and what we are saying about the plane and its capabilities your comment on what the scene portrays is completely meaningless. It's not always a smart idea to try to second guess something one knows nothing about.:)

Last edited:
Sure looks like a takeoff from Opa-locka Executive Airport to me.

It's not always a smart idea to try to second guess something one knows nothing about.:)

Perhaps not, but there is a certain entertainment value to second guessing marketing "professionals." And there's no one here but us anyway, so why is it not smart?

Perhaps not, but there is a certain entertainment value to second guessing marketing "professionals."

Very valid point. The only real value forums like this have is entertainment and I certainly don't want to stand in the way of that as it's the only reason I participate here myself.:)

So speculate away. I will tell you that every single one of you who've been speculating about the flight path, where it originated, and where it's going have been 100% dead wrong.:)

Last edited:
While the fast boats in the cloak of darkness are still part of the scene, often now the drugs will arrive on larger yachts or on slower boats, even trawler types thinking they will avoid suspicion. However, boats' coming and going is monitored and those suspicious tracked. They also try entry at other Marinas such as West Palm or even further up.

It's much like smuggling in through airports with grandmother types or mothers traveling with babies.

There are lots of ways smuggling happens...then and now....nothing i haven't been following for decades.

Back in the 80's I lived in South FLA and the drug scene was all over the place. Go fast boats were all over the place, where was the money coming from to fuel those things, much less buy one? :whistling: Square groupers washed up on the beach from time to time sometimes in large numbers. :eek:

I was working on a horse ranch way out west one summer when I was just a bit younger. :) The ranch's property lines were bounded by Australian pines as were the internal fields. The pines were around 100 feet tall...

We were out working one morning when we heard a loud ROAR over our heads. A twin engine plane had just flown over us and its engines had to have been fire walled as it headed west. :eek: A few seconds later a second twin engine plane flew over right behind the first plane. We figured the first plane was importing and the second plane was the Feds. Course, it could have been two importers...

The planes were flying so low that the wash from the planes blew off 6ish feet or so of some of the tree tops. :eek:

Back then the importers were belly landing planes in the Everglades to offload. The only way to take out the drugs was by airboat which is pretty specialized. They would just land the planes, offload and leave the plane behind. Shame seeing a nice old DC3 left out there....

Years later I was working for a Feds and from time to time I got involved in drug related investigations. Twas interesting to know there were businesses that a gazzilion people drove by daily involved in the drug importation business. One of the companies was laundering huge sums of money...

A family member was in law enforcement down there and had to arrest his best friend who had been bought by the drug runners. :rolleyes: There was a police captain in one of the local departments living in a house that exceeded the family income. :rolleyes:

South FLA in the 80's was a big interesting to say the least. :rofl:

Later,
Dan

South FLA in the 80's was a big interesting to say the least. :rofl:

Later,
Dan

Still is....and we love it.

You speak of businesses we drive by. I know there was a luxury import car dealership taken down years ago. A lot of strip clubs involved. Restaurants. Basically they need businesses that handle a lot of cash.

I was there when a USCG Reserve pilot was arrested for cooperating with the drug smugglers...great guy right up to that point...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom