Old 01-09-2016, 04:54 PM   #21

City: South Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
For those of you bickerinng about where a plane would be over Miami go back and read my original post VERY carefully. Pay particular attention to the letters "CGI."

This scene is from a marketing video for the 787, and just like the use of the word "trawler" to describe toy boats, there is no requirement for reality in marketing.
I would think as long as your doing marketing it would be just as easy to be accurate as not. When I see obvious errors in CGI marketing I tend to discount the product figuring if they can't get their marketing accurate what else have they screwed up.

Keysdisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 05:07 PM   #22
Scraping Paint

City: -
Being as how you have no clue who our audience is, how we are marketing the plane, what we want to illustrate in the video, what this particular scene is demonstrating, and what we are saying about the plane and its capabilities your comment on what the scene portrays is completely meaningless. It's not always a smart idea to try to second guess something one knows nothing about.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 05:45 PM   #23
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Sure looks like a takeoff from Opa-locka Executive Airport to me.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 06:26 PM   #24

City: South Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
It's not always a smart idea to try to second guess something one knows nothing about.
Perhaps not, but there is a certain entertainment value to second guessing marketing "professionals." And there's no one here but us anyway, so why is it not smart?

Keysdisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 06:32 PM   #25
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysdisease View Post
Perhaps not, but there is a certain entertainment value to second guessing marketing "professionals."
Very valid point. The only real value forums like this have is entertainment and I certainly don't want to stand in the way of that as it's the only reason I participate here myself.

So speculate away. I will tell you that every single one of you who've been speculating about the flight path, where it originated, and where it's going have been 100% dead wrong.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 09:03 PM   #26

City: Magothy River, MD
Vessel Name: Sabrina
Vessel Model: '85 KK36 Manatee
River Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:10 PM   #27
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
While the fast boats in the cloak of darkness are still part of the scene, often now the drugs will arrive on larger yachts or on slower boats, even trawler types thinking they will avoid suspicion. However, boats' coming and going is monitored and those suspicious tracked. They also try entry at other Marinas such as West Palm or even further up.

It's much like smuggling in through airports with grandmother types or mothers traveling with babies.
There are lots of ways smuggling happens...then and now....nothing i haven't been following for decades.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 12:22 PM   #28
Guru

City: NC
Back in the 80's I lived in South FLA and the drug scene was all over the place. Go fast boats were all over the place, where was the money coming from to fuel those things, much less buy one? Square groupers washed up on the beach from time to time sometimes in large numbers.

I was working on a horse ranch way out west one summer when I was just a bit younger. The ranch's property lines were bounded by Australian pines as were the internal fields. The pines were around 100 feet tall...

We were out working one morning when we heard a loud ROAR over our heads. A twin engine plane had just flown over us and its engines had to have been fire walled as it headed west. A few seconds later a second twin engine plane flew over right behind the first plane. We figured the first plane was importing and the second plane was the Feds. Course, it could have been two importers...

The planes were flying so low that the wash from the planes blew off 6ish feet or so of some of the tree tops.

Back then the importers were belly landing planes in the Everglades to offload. The only way to take out the drugs was by airboat which is pretty specialized. They would just land the planes, offload and leave the plane behind. Shame seeing a nice old DC3 left out there....

Years later I was working for a Feds and from time to time I got involved in drug related investigations. Twas interesting to know there were businesses that a gazzilion people drove by daily involved in the drug importation business. One of the companies was laundering huge sums of money...

A family member was in law enforcement down there and had to arrest his best friend who had been bought by the drug runners. There was a police captain in one of the local departments living in a house that exceeded the family income.

South FLA in the 80's was a big interesting to say the least.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 01:58 PM   #29
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post

South FLA in the 80's was a big interesting to say the least.

Later,
Dan
Still is....and we love it.

You speak of businesses we drive by. I know there was a luxury import car dealership taken down years ago. A lot of strip clubs involved. Restaurants. Basically they need businesses that handle a lot of cash.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 03:11 PM   #30
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I was there when a USCG Reserve pilot was arrested for cooperating with the drug smugglers...great guy right up to that point...
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 04:44 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I was there when a USCG Reserve pilot was arrested for cooperating with the drug smugglers...great guy right up to that point...
One mistake in choosing who to associate with or trust can lead to nothing but tragedy. My father had a client who went into a hotel purchase with someone he shouldn't have. On a Friday he drove to the airport to fly to discuss the money he was owed. The next time he was seen was about 3 months later when he floated to the surface of a lake as the water warmed for spring. He was wrapped in drapes from a hotel and chain (perhaps this belongs in the rode discussion) but his body wasn't punctured so up he came.

A lot of business people in South Florida have gotten pulled in by a loan for their business or an investor in it.

One of the real quandary's people can face in life is to witness something illegal. Are you comfortable enough law enforcement can protect you to go to them?
Old 01-10-2016, 07:11 PM   #32
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Back in the late seventies and early eighties we sold a lot of bladder tanks and #410 charts together. The 410 chart covers most of the water between Florida and South America. They always paid in twenties.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:41 PM   #33
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Since we're thread drifting, I have a question for the experts among us. Since El Chapo was captured through intelligence gleaned from his interviewing Sean Penn, does Penn have some liability if he didn't report it?
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 09:50 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
Since we're thread drifting, I have a question for the experts among us. Since El Chapo was captured through intelligence gleaned from his interviewing Sean Penn, does Penn have some liability if he didn't report it?
Penn has all sorts of potential exposure. At the very least he is now a witness. Depending on what he witnessed, he could be an accomplice or an accomplice after the fact. There's no direct crime for failure to report, but a lot of other potential charges. See the charges against the mom who ran to Mexico with her son, the Affluenza boy. Could he be guilty in some way of harboring a fugitive?

He may well proclaim freedom of the press protection, but he and the other interviewer have exposed themselves greatly. Now, there's another aspect. That is if Chapo told Sean Penn of any criminal plans endangering the lives of others. One other worry. Chapo isn't powerless in prison. He continued to run his organization last time from prison. If he thinks Sean Penn was responsible for his arrest might he retaliate? I don't know but it's not like Sean Penn could ever go into witness protection. Now, the reason the Mexican government may want to extradite Chapo is to end his control of his organization. As long as he's in Mexico, he retains that control.

I am still amazed at all Chapo told Sean Penn. He confessed to a lot of major crimes which he had never admitted to. This is going to be a long, interesting story, but Sean Penn has the potential of a lot of trouble coming from it.

Sean Penn put himself at great risk with conducting the interview. That risk doesn't end with the capture.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:18 PM   #35
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Thanks for answering my question, it is quite a story unfolding. And now, back to the sandbar.

hmason is offline   Reply With Quote