Old 08-01-2016, 10:56 PM   #21
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
We had two stints of living in Key Biscayne....3 years each. We enjoyed the Bay, got married on our boat in the middle of Stiltsville, cruised the coast and harbor often, but on holidays we stayed home. If you like figure eight racing, you'll love Miami on holidays.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 05:13 AM   #22
FF
Guru

Even on week days the ride inside along the Stuart - Miami area is going to be very slow going.

Best is to consider you are touring (not making a delivery run) and plan on a very slow , but interesting day.

The distance between bridges ,and wake restrictions mean its hard to not wait for most bridges to open.

So plan on it , a tiny anchor will make a 20 min wait far less stressing than milling about smarty.

Hoist your black ball as the anchor goes over, few will understand what it means ,
but because it must mean "something" fewer will come close enough & drive over the anchor line

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:50 AM   #23
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
It's very easy to set your speed to match the bridge opening schedules. The irritants are all the folks who don't and the wide variety of general clulessness and other bad behaviors.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 01:06 PM   #24
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
It's very easy to set your speed to match the bridge opening schedules. The irritants are all the folks who don't and the wide variety of general clulessness and other bad behaviors.
I've found the bridges in South Florida to be extremely easy. Yes, it forces some of us to slow down a bit, but it's all on a schedule. And, if that's too slow for us, we go outside.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 01:37 PM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Islamorada, FL
Vessel Name: Panacea
Vessel Model: Marine Builders, Voyager 70
Miamians are a "special" form of stupid. Lived there for 8 years. Fun place to visit. The place would be great if it wasn't for the people. We call it "Me am Me" (think latino accent) since Miamians are self centered egotistical pricks. Their boat handling skills are about equal to their level of humility. If you want to know more... just me how I *really* feel.

Now I only have to deal with the @$$holes every weekend. They come... take a crap on my island home... and leave. The them leaving part is the good part.

With that said, the locals in the keys are awesome, caring, friendly people.
Panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 01:38 PM   #26
FF
Guru

Many of the bridges are 2 miles apart and open 3 times an hour.

Its really hard to go 2 miles when after the opening a slow procession of boats wanders thru , and there is a no wake zone after the bridge.

For a displacement boat going 2 miles in 10-12 min remaining is not easy.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:52 PM   #27
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Nope not so. Look at the actual schedules in sequence. I don't think we ever had to exceed 8 knots from PB County south. That means a 6 knot boat would gear down to 4 and make the next bridge on its opening an hour later rather than the one a half hour later for example.

The parade takes the same time to complete at the next opening too.

http://www.cruiserswiki.org/wiki/Flo...nd_Regulations

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:49 PM   #28

City: Orlando, FL
Vessel Name: Barefoot Key
Vessel Model: Marine trader laBelle 40
Bridges were not a problem for me. My marine trader needs 17 foot clearance, so most of the bridges were ok, and once I got into the routine,most of the ones I did need open were almost ready for me when I got there. 15 minutes in Boca was my worst wait.
rmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 03:50 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panacea View Post
Miamians are a "special" form of stupid. Lived there for 8 years. Fun place to visit. The place would be great if it wasn't for the people. We call it "Me am Me" (think latino accent) since Miamians are self centered egotistical pricks. Their boat handling skills are about equal to their level of humility. If you want to know more... just me how I *really* feel.

Now I only have to deal with the @$$holes every weekend. They come... take a crap on my island home... and leave. The them leaving part is the good part.

With that said, the locals in the keys are awesome, caring, friendly people.
I'm sure with you having that attitude, they're all very happy to get away from you. I know many fine people who live in Miami. I resent that attack. I will not judge all of Islamorado based on you.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:02 PM   #30
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
When I was working I use to travel to Miami often, I always enjoyed it and made quite a few friends there. I have only been there once in my boat, for several days on the way north from the Keys. We did stay in a marina during the weekend and had no problem at all cruising during the week. There are lots of good international and American restaurants, hotels and bars there. Lots of nice boats to look at too.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:48 PM   #31
Guru

I thought everybody knew to avoid those areas on the weekends. If you wait until Monday you would have hardly seen a boat
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:03 AM   #32
FF
Guru

The folks in the Miami area are at least honest.

I was passed by a boat called "BRAIN DEAD" and it was true!
Old 08-05-2016, 08:31 PM   #33
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
With our Nordic Tug we only need 13' air draft to pass under the bridges. In other words, to us there are no bridges.
That said, we do not travel on the weekends and NEVER on a three day holiday.
It's called being retired. 👍😎👍
Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 03:20 PM   #34
Veteran Member

City: Islamorada, FL
Vessel Name: Panacea
Vessel Model: Marine Builders, Voyager 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I'm sure with you having that attitude, they're all very happy to get away from you. I know many fine people who live in Miami. I resent that attack. I will not judge all of Islamorado based on you.
LOL Okee Dokee.

I'll just put this here: Miami was named Rudest City in America, but also ranks No. 1 for Most Attractive People | Miami Herald
Panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 03:44 PM   #35
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:

Shocker!!
Old 08-06-2016, 04:16 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
I know their rating and it was NYC before. I've not encountered it. I just don't like stereotyping. I'm sure you'll agree that, even if you didn't meet them, there are many people there who are not rude. Now, I think some rudeness is perceived through cultural differences and language. In NY I see it perceived by the manner of speech.

I've also seen these articles on best places to live in America and wondered what drug they were on in the selection. The truth though is it's different for everyone. The Street says it's Rochester, MN. It might be if you could get beyond the climate, but the climate is a pretty big thing. Business Insider says Denver. If you like a coast, perhaps it isn't.

I would encourage anyone to next time they go to Miami, if they've had issues in the past, don't assume the worst and make an extra effort to be friendly. A nice comment helps. I had to learn NYC years ago. It was fast and loud talk to me. Well, I got to know people there and found out they're just delightful to know. What others saw as rudeness, was just how they talked. Meanwhile, I issued orders with please and "if you don't mind" and "would you."
Old 08-09-2016, 01:08 PM   #37
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I would just like to interject that the Puget Sound area, particularly anything South of Seattle is definitely NOT one of the best places to live. It rains 24/7 except for parts of August. The people are rude, ill educated, and have poor personal hygiene. The taxes are cripplingly high and the wages (for those few that can find a job) are horrendously low. And worst of all, it is a terrible place for boaters. This region should be avoided at all costs.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 02:14 PM   #38
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I would just like to interject that the Puget Sound area, particularly anything South of Seattle is definitely NOT one of the best places to live. It rains 24/7 except for parts of August. The people are rude, ill educated, and have poor personal hygiene. The taxes are cripplingly high and the wages (for those few that can find a job) are horrendously low. And worst of all, it is a terrible place for boaters. This region should be avoided at all costs.
Nice try!!!!!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 08:37 AM   #39
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by go-planing View Post
Tests showed very high levels of ammonia and feces in that pristine water. Wouldn't be surprised if that gathering is banned in the future. Gross.

Oh yes lets ban something that people enjoy, sounds good until they hit you with the ban hammer. I bet you enjoy things that others think should be banned. Freedom for the win.

I think the word "Banned" should be banned.

As far as Ammonia, please cite sources.

Urine takes several days to develop the ammonia compounds, that's why fresh urine does not smell of ammonia (if yours does you may have a UTI and should be checked) With the proximity of the ocean the dilution rate is sufficient to dilute the wastes, if not what city beach would you think should also be closed due to even greater numbers of people?

rant off
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 09:10 AM   #40
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Haulover Beach

Attachment 54788
Just don't go to the north end unless you are gay...

Some things the signs don't tell you

stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote