Old 02-13-2014, 10:57 PM   #21
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
I worked the show today. I think it'll be a good one. Here is a picture of our boat show booth in 1950. My birthday always falls during the Miami International Boat show. It occurs to me that I might have been born during that one. I wonder if my father left the show to take Mom to the hospital?

HopCar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:26 AM   #22
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
I worked the show today. I think it'll be a good one. Here is a picture of our boat show booth in 1950. My birthday always falls during the Miami International Boat show. It occurs to me that I might have been born during that one. I wonder if my father left the show to take Mom to the hospital?
WOW - V-COOL TY, Art

Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:46 PM   #23
Guru

City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
Took the boat out today, and hit all 4 outdoor venues and was disheartened by lack of exhibitors at the Marriott. Other than 4 Marlows, there really were no big boats. The outer dock/seawall had zero boats on the outside, and few inside. In past years not only would both be packed with boats moored Med style, but there were floating docks extending out on the north side. Not this year!
The Sail Only at Bayside seemed to have more boats than before, but 90% were French catamarans. If you were shopping for a cat and had multi-million dollar budget, you had a wonderful selection. Also saw a gorgeous totally restored world cruiser mono hull.
Zipped over to Miami Beach Marina which had lots of empty slips. Contender had the entire floating dock for the restaurant, and seemed to be giving a robust amount of boatr rides to people they were shuttling in, but the groups I saw looked more like tourists (Chinese) than fishing boat guys that buy Contenders. My experience as years of beingl3 the Lien Hwa dealer here tells me, that if those guys break out notebooks and cameras, then next year Contender will be seeing suspiciously similar boats built in China. On the "big" yachts -brokers like Dennison were advertising at that venue looked empty. Didn't see anybody on or near them.
Not unusual though, as people just don't go there even for special invitation events with hot women and free drinks. Lack of parking doesn't help. Lack of finger piers makes watching people trying to board boats a spectator event there, especially if ships going by are causing surges. But saw none today. There were a couple of big yachts we couldn't figure out how to board at low tide (which it was) as the swim platforms were a good 8' down, and side decks had no entrances.
Then on to Indian Creek for the brokerage show. There we saw many of the dealers that used to exhibit at the Marriott. BUT ONLY saw a couple of SeaRays and Meridians together at the Brunswick display. Viking had a good selection and display. Saw Fairlines, a couple of Rivieras, less Sunseekers than last year, but made up by having larger ones. The trawler section was much smaller than last year. NOT as many large yachts as last year. But what really got me was lack of traffic on Collins (usually insanely thick) and lack of people! Afriend of mine working Sunseeker from NY blamed it on the weather up north, and the airport delays. Ok, but supposedly BUYERs are all from South America, and there's no weather delays from down South, easr or West. BTW the weather was picture book perfect. Clear skys, low70s, light breeze. OTHER than us, maybe saw only 7 other boats on the water in that whole expanse. Saw more stand up paddle boarders than anybody else. One young buck had a 10 in a bikini lying on his board as he paddled past mega million boats as if to rub in the fact that it's NOT the size of your boat.
I'll post some photos asap.

Yacht Broker/Owner since 1984, Florida License #32
pilothouse king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:04 PM   #24
Guru

Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
Man typing on a tablet is difficult! I'll be going back to thr brokerage show by land, so hope to see all the boats I couldn't see via water. I haven't been IN the Convention center for the boat show in decades, so have no clue what's there.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:18 AM   #25
Guru

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG791-1.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	27388
this is the Marriott. Remember how the dock/seawall would be totally surrounded by boats moored Med style? The inside of the marina along the dock also was empty.

Name:	IMG792-1.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	27389
The Marlow display

Lot's of Catamarans

Name:	IMG794.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	27391
Really nice monohull at the far left
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG796.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	27390  

Old 02-15-2014, 12:23 AM   #26
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
I hung out at the Lehr Outboard booth today. I really like the new 15.
With it being a beautiful sunny day, we sold a bunch of hats at the Gill booth in Strictly Sail. Fishing tackle and Columbia shirts were moving out of our booth at the convention center.
HopCar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:22 AM   #27
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilothouse king View Post
One young buck had a 10 in a bikini lying on his board as he paddled past mega million boats as if to rub in the fact that it's NOT the size of your boat.
What that young buck doesn't understand is that she was shopping for someone who could afford more than a paddle board.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:22 AM   #28
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Maybe a megayacht owner on a paddle board looking at the "small" boats?