Old 08-14-2015, 08:41 PM   #21
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
While the tidal range in these waters and on up north make them viable the downside is that you have to do your work in "spurts" during low water. A lot of tasks can be accomplished in this time, of course, and usually the tidal grids allowed for two or three days of use at a time per boat.

They do require some understanding and experience to use, however, because if the boat is not balanced properly it can fall over on its side when the tide goes out. So the boats are always positioned to lean into the pier a bit and they are tied to the pier to make sure they don't get tipped outboard.

However..... most if not all the tidal grids in Puget Sound have been closed for environmental reasons. Our harbor had a nice big one, but even back in 1998 when we became tenants of the marina the grid had been closed for environmental reasons even though it was physically in great shape. It was finally torn out a few years ago.

The reasoning is that scraping boat bottoms and doing other jobs puts stuff on the bottom under the boat that more and more harbors, cities, counties, and states don't want there. I believe that grids are still being used in BC and SE Alaska but if so I suspect they are living on borrowed time.
Name one thing that isn't!

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:44 PM   #22
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Name one thing that isn't!
Ladies of the evening...

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:51 PM   #23
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
Ladies of the evening...
Walt - You Arrrr Bad!

Them at very least a bit intriguing and at times relatively delightful topics of persuasion/conversation might be liven on their "johns' Borrowed Money though!!

Therefore in some way they are liven on borrowed time... till dumb john's credit go belly up - that is!

Shush - don't tell his wife!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:59 PM   #24
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
It's a shame that a compromise couldn't be reached. Possibly containment of sanded bottom debris?? Just to be available for checking running gear, installing a through hull.
Obviously we don't have the tidal ranges necessary here in the Gulf to have ever used such a method. But I always love a simple mechanical solution for a complicated mechanical problem.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 08-14-2015, 11:11 PM   #25
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
Ladies of the evening...

Thank god!.. some day when I am too old to lift a leg over the rail I will at least have that to spend all the excess money I will have laying around from not messing about in boats!
HOLLYWOOD

hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 11:18 PM   #26
Guru

City: Somewhere
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'
There are tidal grids and railways here and still in use. There are ways to arrange them so bottom paint does not escape into the sea. It does take a willingness though of either the management or the gvmt. to set it up and ensure it is used properly.

I have been told of similar setups at other locations so they are not dead. Travelifts are not always viable in some places. Either because grids and railways already exist and just need some mods. or the land is too expensive or not available.

Our old Y.C. still has one, grid, but there are strict rules to ensure it is used properly. Unfortunately there are always a few who think rules don;t apply and were abusing the priviledge so now NO ONe CAN POWER WASH except the club employees. Without that change they would have lost it.

The grid, drydock, is a huge benefit to the members.

Tarkanen Shipyard, Sointula, B.C. has done something similar although with a railway.

Both use a containment ditch which catches all the wash water from power washing, sanding, etc. and then pumps it into tanks where the debris is allowed to settle at which point the water can be removed. The sediment then is dealt with as hazardous waste. Don't know what that procedure is though.

I agree that unless a concerted effort is made to setup properly and keep it that way the railways and grids will disappear.

C lectric is online now   Reply With Quote