Old 05-22-2014, 11:01 AM   #161
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
2 things....

1. A boat launched is not necessarily finished and ready for sea (something so many forgot early in the discussion).

2. The video "suggests" that "seemingly" floating boat, and that it doesn't "seem" to be hung up.... is still not trying to right itself . That suggests it should have had some more ballast or the launching "list" from being hung up was exaggerated by some source of flooding (just on deck or even internally). The bubbles pointed out may lead in that direction....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:46 AM   #162

City: Nokomis
-Jacht Junky

Several hours ago, a strange chihuahua lover who has a business relationship with Northern Marine posted an edited video of the launch on YouTube.
You have now, as a previously unknown poster, made a very informative post about the former captain.
I think it would be helpful if you can confirm whether or not you are in any way involved with any of the parties.
harbor950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:47 AM   #163
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
It appears the bow was floating off the front dolly before she took her severe roll. This makes it look like a ballast problem and NOT a launch method problem.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:09 PM   #164
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
The new video is interesting. look at the port stern as the boat goes into the water... at first I thought they had started a genset, but I am not sure that is what I see. Look at all the bubbles at the waterline near the low windows.. one of the windows left open?... nobody is that remiss are they?
Still a sad sight.. the worker that puts his hands on his head says it all
HOLLYWOOD
Perhaps I'm missing something, but it appears to me that the boat is starting to float free and as it does it turns over. That would suggest a major boo-boo in calculation on ballast and not a launch problem, as has been suggested. Who knows, but this reads cluster eff from start to finish.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:21 PM   #165

City: Nokomis
There are recent posts on YachtForums that indicate the transom engine room door was open at launch and at that angle...

Northern Marine 90' Yacht Capsizes Upon Launch...! - Page 10 - YachtForums.Com
harbor950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:37 PM   #166
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
My unified theory: the kid with the bottle set up a destabilizing harmonic which--combined with the absence of ballast, flat-tires on the launch equipment, plethora of windows at the waterline and blinding hard hats worn by the workers--ultimately doomed the Baden. When the CG report is finally issued, remember: you heard it here first.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:42 PM   #167

City: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by harbor950 View Post
-Jacht Junky

Several hours ago, a strange chihuahua lover who has a business relationship with Northern Marine posted an edited video of the launch on YouTube.
You have now, as a previously unknown poster, made a very informative post about the former captain.
I think it would be helpful if you can confirm whether or not you are in any way involved with any of the parties.
PilotHouse

Don't know anything about a strange chihuahua lover but I am not associated with them or NM or any of the parties that built this yacht. When I lived in Seattle I knew some of the guys doing tooling at Northern and they eventually became NEWY/NM after I moved abroad.

The blog was wiped clean I found this interesting. I thought it odd that someone would erase years of blog posts after clearly having so much pride in their work (guess the lawyers told him). A sour situation all around.

I have been a long time reader of this forum but joined specifically today because I have been following this thread and when BanB said the yacht captain deleted his blog I wanted to find out what he deleted and why. Still don't know why.

This accident hits all of us who have worked in the NW industry right in the gut, and a lot of people are having to dust off their resumes once again. I want to know why and like the rest of you I am trying to find everything I can on the web.
-JJ
JachtJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:53 PM   #168
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JachtJunky View Post

I have been a long time reader of this forum but joined specifically today because I have been following this thread and when BanB said the yacht captain deleted his blog I wanted to find out what he deleted and why. Still don't know why.

-JJ
He deleted it and then replaced it removing the references to his Unlimited License and other references to Captains license that one can only assume from removing them might have been exaggerated. Now where that fits further is if he'd exaggerate or lie on that, perhaps his grandiose appraisal of his work and ability throughout his blog could be taken with a grain of salt as well. Obviously someone had a differing opinion in firing him. So, bluntly, while everything he's saying may be true, he also has a definite reason to inflate himself and take shots at others in this.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:57 PM   #169
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbor950 View Post
There are recent posts on YachtForums that indicate the transom engine room door was open at launch and at that angle...

Northern Marine 90' Yacht Capsizes Upon Launch...! - Page 10 - YachtForums.Com
Yes, there are photos showing it open. Did water enter? Was that part of the problem? Many answers to come. But boat tilted, water enters and provides more weight to the lower side, and you now have a roll. What we haven't really heard at this point that I'm sure the Coast Guard has is from the six on board describing what was going on at the time. What we've gotten is mostly very grateful to have been dragged out and to be out alive which is the most important thing.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:10 PM   #170
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
The speculation continues...

I have a friend who works nearby in Anacortes in the boat business. Very close by.

He was there but is not part of the northern team. He was just there, it was a big deal in the small boat community.

He said that boat will never float.

He said yesterday they tried to release the straps and the boat tried to turn turtle again.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:20 PM   #171
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
The speculation continues...

I have a friend who works nearby in Anacortes in the boat business. Very close by.

He was there but is not part of the northern team. He was just there, it was a big deal in the small boat community.

He said that boat will never float.

He said yesterday they tried to release the straps and the boat tried to turn turtle again.
Well, that probably was the Coast Guard and Insurer trying to get a stability test. Now, the doesn't mean it couldn't be made to float with enough properly placed ballast. However, most of the ones I've seen that required so much to make them stable, never got beyond marginally stable.

Good information from your friend. Need some updates from some who dock there.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:23 PM   #172
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Well, that probably was the Coast Guard and Insurer trying to get a stability test. Now, the doesn't mean it couldn't be made to float with enough properly placed ballast. However, most of the ones I've seen that required so much to make them stable, never got beyond marginally stable.

Good information from your friend. Need some updates from some who dock there.
That's why I called him. I figured he would have been there.

I spent a week at that very dock inspecting and signing off on the engines when my boat was getting its refit done a couple years ago.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:37 PM   #173
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
Because I've never read USCG Maritine Incident Investigation Report where it stated. . . ."Ultimately the vessel foundered due to the popular opinion that it was aesthetically ugly!!
I can see where this thread is heading and I must interject that there hasn't been a single case of a KK Manatee capsizing at launch!

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:43 PM   #174
Guru

City: Georgia
You put enough ballast in it and you raise the waterline, bye-bye lower windows. From the pics I saw, there doesn't seem to be enough wet area under that boat to hold it up properly.
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:01 PM   #175
Veteran Member

City: Akureyri
Vessel Name: Ozimo IV
Vessel Model: 18m Gulet
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
I always wonder if boats that tall are more stable upside down. I also suspect in a fair breeze they can sail. The view interior room and luxury must be great.
Sadly it wouldn't be the first time a top heavy ship like that would turn over. I wonder if they placed enough ballast in the right areas?

Ghostrider42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:11 PM   #176
Veteran Member

City: Akureyri
Vessel Name: Ozimo IV
Vessel Model: 18m Gulet
I see they used a trailer for such a large ship. That's the one thing we NEVER used. A marine railway is far more efficient and safer. If there's a problem on the launch, you can bring it back up without turtling!

Ghostrider42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:36 PM   #177
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
What the heck is at the bow just below the water line and in line with the bulbous bow? Some sort of fin arrangement?
Old 05-22-2014, 07:42 PM   #178
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
I can see where this thread is heading and I must interject that there hasn't been a single case of a KK Manatee capsizing at launch!
The manatee is like a pug so ugly its cute. A lot of people own pugs and there it is not even about the interior room.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:45 PM   #179
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
What the heck is at the bow just below the water line and in line with the bulbous bow? Some sort of fin arrangement?
Maybe its all about the wrong anchor and it being placed too high. Yes strange thingy on bow or are we looking at roof line of boat behind and an unpainted area around thrust-er??
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:48 PM   #180
Guru

City: Bayview
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Willard Vega 30
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1400806041.371440.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	30092

There are no fins at the bow.