Old 05-20-2014, 09:47 PM   #121
Veteran Member

City: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Salish Mistress
Vessel Model: American Tug 485
Right side up

She is now got the right side up. We just came from the marina and she is now sitting on her bottom. They were priming pumps to continue to remove water. She is a very very tall boat. I hope they are able to save her, but it fear it will cost a lot to put her right (assuming that is even possible).
MV Salish Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:50 PM   #122
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV Salish Lady View Post
She is now got the right side up. We just came from the marina and she is now sitting on her bottom. They were priming pumps to continue to remove water. She is a very very tall boat. I hope they are able to save her, but it fear it will cost a lot to put her right (assuming that is even possible).
She can be saved, but by whom. Who owns her now? Who wants her? If you're the buyer do you want her as she sits? But that may be all you can get. And I was glad to see earlier she had been pulled and water removed.

Who finishes her? Someone arranges to on site? Moves to a shipyard nearby? Delta? I say them as they have finished a Northern before.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:58 PM   #123
Veteran Member

City: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Salish Mistress
Vessel Model: American Tug 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
She can be saved, but by whom. Who owns her now? Who wants her? If you're the buyer do you want her as she sits? But that may be all you can get. And I was glad to see earlier she had been pulled and water removed.

Who finishes her? Someone arranges to on site? Moves to a shipyard nearby? Delta? I say them as they have finished a Northern before.
I have no answers but did I mention how tall she is? I know nothing about the design of a ship, but to my eye it just looks wrong. I would be surprised to see her sold to another buyer. It would be hard to make the case to pay the kind of money for a boat that tipped over on launch and filled with sea water. By the way did I mention how tall she is?
MV Salish Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:16 PM   #124
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV Salish Lady View Post
I have no answers but did I mention how tall she is? I know nothing about the design of a ship, but to my eye it just looks wrong. I would be surprised to see her sold to another buyer. It would be hard to make the case to pay the kind of money for a boat that tipped over on launch and filled with sea water. By the way did I mention how tall she is?
Is she tall? Yes, I think you mentioned. And everyone who ever looked at it did. The boat doesn't look normal. She appears to be an 80' lengthened and then just a lot added on up top. And it was done while reducing weight. I'm finding it very strange to see builders who work hard to reduce a boat's weight with lighter materials only to have to add more ballast. Also, the original drawings and depictions done before construction showed her tall but sure didn't appear as tall as she turned out. And I still don't get those five windows right at the waterline, but thank god for them. That's how they got the last guy out, by busting one of them out.

I don't know if she could be salvaged and made something nice. Wouldn't be the only boat out there that requires extreme amounts of ballast for balance. Or what about removing the upper decks? I picture the hull sitting in a shipyard for a long time and people asking why is that there. I laughed at Hatteras's yard not long ago. Very nice facility but they have what I'd label a "mold junk yard" and a "stand junk yard". Even a couple of molds down a drive and by themselves back in the woods. I don't know if any of those are ones they use or will ever use or not. Just funny to see.

Someone may do something with this hull five years from now. But the boat as is may be all the buyer can get. If he had a contract that gave him title, then it's his. If he didn't, then he has nothing.

Oh, I don't think you noticed, but it's very tall.

Here is the pre-construction picture they created to show what was planned. It apparently changed colors and names along the way.

http://www.superyachttimes.com/edito...rticle/id/7363
Old 05-20-2014, 10:27 PM   #125
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
How sad. The whole town could suffer ramifications from this.
It's always sad when companies close and people lose their jobs. But for clarification, Northern Marine had become a very small employer in recent years, building one custom boat at a time over 2 or 3 years. Most people who live in Anacortes didn't even know they were there. There are never more than a dozen cars parked by their building at any given time.

The big employer(s) in Anacortes have always been Dakota Creek ship yard (they're a steel ship fabricator) 160' Ocean going tugs, 115' Crab boats, etc. etc.; The two oil refineries (Tesoro and Shell) who employ thousands, Naval Air Station Whidbey and Boeing to the south. There are also four large marinas and a flourishing yacht size dry storage facility supporting both the pleasure boat and the commercial fishing fleet.

You are most likely correct. . . someone will buy their name and equipment from bankruptcy and they will be up and running under new ownership.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:04 PM   #126

City: Nokomis
time lapse of refloating

harbor950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:05 PM   #127
Guru

Their name is now worthless or nearly so. Who knows how much of the equipment is secured. Molds may be sold. Not for a great deal though.

Here's a video of it being righted:

He beat me to it, so link removed.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:49 AM   #128
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
B&B-you are right about NM being for sale, or at least actively seeking some investment capital. My partner has occasionally invested in some marine related businesses over the years and we were contacted by a business broker from Bellevue about 6 months ago. WE only had very preliminary discussions and he did not name the business, but it was obvious to us both that it was NM. The construction of this boat was a big part of his pitch.
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:15 AM   #129
Guru

City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
The last time I was there- THIS was the boat they were rolling out. THIS is what a Northern should look like, not that "Marquis de Europa Tower" that rolled over.
It's like every time I see a pos Chevy- I ask myself- "why didn't they just keep building the popular pretty designs that people would still buy?".. change for the sake of change is stupid.Click image for larger version

Name:	0033.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	30041
pilothouse king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:22 AM   #130
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilothouse king View Post
The last time I was there- THIS was the boat they were rolling out. THIS is what a Northern should look like, not that "Marquis de Europe" that rolled over.
It's like every time I see a pos Chevy- I ask myself- "why didn't they just keep building the popular pretty designs that people would still buy?".. change for the sake of change is stupid.Attachment 30041
I'm not adventurous when spending big money. Apparently some are. But I'd rather choose a hull that has been built many times. Even better if I've been on a few. May look dated, old fashioned, but floats and doesn't topple over, rides fine. A lot of people yell "do a custom build" and I'm "why? I don't choose to reinvent the wheel." Semi custom to me is the best of both worlds, proven hull and customize interior. The way people like Nordhavn do business and Westport and Hatteras. Or Grand Banks or American Tug. Guess I'm old and conservative except not old. Had I been wanting a Northern, I wouldn't have tried to then turn it into something else. Maybe even picked one they had built before.

They are not the first builder to try lighter and taller and find themselves with a stability issue. Now we don't know for sure they do have a stability issue. Maybe it was something else. But seeing the photo of that boat, I'd have said "no."
Old 05-21-2014, 08:09 AM   #131
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
What's this "New World Yacht Builders" vs "Northern Marine" business?

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...tml#post235517
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:15 AM   #132
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Merged:Northern Yacht/Oops

After reading all this, I figured I'd look'em up. And I must say I LOVE their 58' F/V. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1400681727.476018.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	30049
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:56 AM   #133
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
One thing to keep in mind is our collective impression is that the boat looks tall, but what we are really seeing is height vs length. We really cannot see the beam. It might be pretty wide, don't know.

If boat was stretched 30% longer but kept other dimensions, our eyes would not likely be so offended. But the roll stability would likely be the same.

I think it all comes back to ballasting and that crazy single point lift under the bow when it started floating off the rear cradle. Probably would have been the same if boat was 115' and much sleeker looking.

Probably would have been fine if they launched it bow first.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:02 AM   #134
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
What's this "New World Yacht Builders" vs "Northern Marine" business?

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...tml#post235517
Long Story. Bud Lemieux sold Northern. The buyers booted him out. About the time they brought Andy McDonald back in they declared bankruptcy. Working around that, Andy formed New World and started selling Northern under it's name. Then Bud, Andy and Randy Cowley bought the assets of the bankrupt Northern and so had the trade name under the entity of New World. Now the New World Northern closed. There are those who speculate that there will be another bankruptcy and Bud will buy it again from bankruptcy court. Might happen but not sure he'll be buying anything of value. A lot of time someone decides to pick up the pieces and continue, but it's seldom successful.

But one way or another Northern has been in turmoil for at least 6 or 7 years. They've never been big. To my best knowledge, they launched three boats in 2004 and 2007 and otherwise the most in a year is two. But they don't own the property or land. So you have the facilities, the molds, and the name. And the name wasn't selling many boats and as of the past two days it's value has shrunk dramatically. Two days ago mention Northern and first thought was "nice boat." Now it's "oh they're the ones that the boat rolled and sank and they closed the doors."
Old 05-21-2014, 10:04 AM   #135
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
One thing to keep in mind is our collective impression is that the boat looks tall, but what we are really seeing is height vs length. We really cannot see the beam. It might be pretty wide, don't know.

If boat was stretched 30% longer but kept other dimensions, our eyes would not likely be so offended. But the roll stability would likely be the same.

I think it all comes back to ballasting and that crazy single point lift under the bow when it started floating off the rear cradle. Probably would have been the same if boat was 115' and much sleeker looking.

Probably would have been fine if they launched it bow first.
Well, the Insurer and the Coast Guard were planning stability tests before they use the crane to hoist it out. Maybe if they'd paid for a crane to launch it they wouldn't have had all this. Had to launch in darkness to get high tide.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:10 AM   #136
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
After reading all this, I figured I'd look'em up. And I must say I LOVE their 58' F/V. Attachment 30049
At their best they were a good alternative to Nordhavn in the 57' and up sizes. Some strange interior use of space (as in I think a bit poor), but a lot of boat in their 57-86' boats. Like a lot of builders though they decided let's try bigger. A 151' Tri-Deck and this 90'. You wonder what if they'd built a 52' and a 47'. Maybe get a lift that could handle their boats too.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:24 AM   #137

City: Huntsville, AL
Vessel Name: Sea Note
Vessel Model: Mainship 40
Beautiful color scheme. And WOW it doesn't even look like it should float upright. It is very attractive on the hard. Most boats look odd out of water like the waddling duck, I suppose.
Toolbuddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:40 AM   #138
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolbuddie View Post
Beautiful color scheme. And WOW it doesn't even look like it should float upright. It is very attractive on the hard. Most boats look odd out of water like the waddling duck, I suppose.
Originally it was going to be red. I thought that looked good as well. I like people brightening their boats up a little.

As to floating, last I heard last night it was floating although still in a sling from the crane.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:35 PM   #139
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
When it was commissioned it was also an 85' (Hull #8501), named "Blood Baron" and was schedule for launch in the summer of 2013. Seems like some things changed over time.

The owners rep stated that part of the reason they selected NM was they were willing to fully customize the boat to the owners requirements. So maybe criticism of the boats design and appearance shouldn't all be laid at the feet of NM totally. Would be interesting to know more about the owner.

I've toured and had their previous boats moored near me as they come off the line and they are truly beautiful inside. I can't say I'm overwhelmed by this particular boat. . . . But you know what they say. . . "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!"
Old 05-21-2014, 02:46 PM   #140
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Here's a guy I've taught with and what I know about him admire greatly..not to say it's all that much....his background and choice of boats brings something to the table as he is no "newbie". I'm also not saying that builders don't build a turkey every once and awhile or have a major downturn. I would be careful what I said about this incident before the facts are in (in much greater detail than here)...I learned in aviation safety training making guesses long before the investigation only usually makes you look stupid in the long run.

Devastation is the only way to describe the loss Bruce felt in 1994 when Zopilote was lost on an uncharted seamount 70 miles west of Ketchikan, Alaska.
The circumnavigation had covered about 35,000 miles. In total, Kessler had left about 100,000 miles in Zopilote's wake.
Like Zopilote, Spirit of Zopilote was designed by Steve Seaton, and built by Northern Marine. In the ensuing years, Bud Lemieux had left Delta Marine to start Northern in Anacortes, Washington, with Chuck Worst and Clifford Rome.

Bruce Kessler, Passagemaker of the Year - Trawlers & Trawlering
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote