Is the Mendenhall Bar crossable in a small trawler?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DDW

Guru
Looks tidal, chart suggests high tide and local knowledge, buoyed. But it would cut a bit ot travel heading north/west out of Juneau. Is this done? Routinely? We draw 3.5', good sonar, but not anxious to test the bottom structure....

Jetboat maybe at high. Heard folks get stuck on it a lot. Play it safe and go around. Better yet, we skip Juneau and go to Auke Bay or stay in Taku Harbor unless you need ship stores.

Short answer, no.

Haven’t been there for 18yrs or so (when I lived there) and I ran the flats many times w about a 2’ draft 28’ light OB boat. Probably a 2’6” draft. Never had a problem. Don’t think I even polished a prop.
Inquire locally though. Perhaps the Juneau Harbormaster. It has been well marked in the past.

I have been in Juneau transiting North twice, heading for Elfin Cove to jump the Gulf. It seems to me I went back the way I came in (out to the South) since it was a shorter and more direct transit through the islands anyway...

Unless I had a good reason to go North from Juneau, I wouldn't run it. If I did have a good reason, it's a long way around, and I would plan on a high tide transit. My bet is that there is plenty of water at high tide if you have a good reason to want to run that way.

Based on dock talk in SE including local fish boats, I wouldn't do it. Significant risk even at high water.

We did it in our C-Dory 22 in 1996. In more recent years, the harbormaster recommended against in our 26-footer - too much silting, with unknown shallows.

There is a wide range of tides. It could be a 10' high tide or a 21' tide.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom