Old 05-27-2011, 06:34 PM   #21
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
RE: Memorial Day weekend boating

Diver,

Me too but the big job is wiring the new windlass. Put in two new Fullriver AGMs and that was easy except getting the right cap screws for the terminals. The #6 battery cable wire is too big for regular crimps and too small for the big crimpers so I'm soldering all the terminal lugs. I've got plenty of batt cable but i'm going to have to splice some 14 gauge for the solenoid wires. Running all the wires opened up some other jobs that needed doing so I'm very busy. The rain came at just the right time! Good luck on yours. Keep an eye out* .....Murphy's around.

Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 06:33 PM   #22
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic

Hey, Mark!

YM Cypress is steaming north. Just passed point conception. Your Coot will be here soon...

Giggitoni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 06:38 PM   #23
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Gee, I hope the Cypress isn't late.* We're supposed to be at Middle Harbor at 7:00 am and the ship's supposed to be docked by then.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:03 PM   #24
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic

She's doing about 22 kts. I'm not sure of the distance between her current position and SF. I'll guess 185 miles. She should be in the bay by 2:00am local time. Her listed ETA is 04:00. Lookin' good!

Mean while I'll just enjoy the unexpected rain while at anchor at the mouth of Steamboat Slough
Giggitoni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:15 PM   #25
Master and Commander

We're/you're having near record-low temperatures.** Supposed to be sunny and a bit warmer tomorrow.* With 20 mph winds, we expect to make spray on the Bay.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:04 PM   #26
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Memorial Day weekend boating

We had a perfect 12-hour steam (our longest to date) from Carolina Beach to Morehead City on Thursday (although a lot of chop in Bouge Sound). Then a good 8-hour day from Morehead to New Bern with a few hour layover in Oriental to pull her out at Sailcraft to get a quick power wash and new zincs because Bess saw a lot of slime on the bottom thru Morehead's clear water. With the added bonus of a lot of chop on the Neuse Friday too. Spent one day at the new marina and today on the hook in Upper Broad Creek getting some sun in places that don't see the sun too often.

-- Edited by GonzoF1 on Sunday 29th of May 2011 06:04:30 PM
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:22 PM   #27
Master and Commander

The Carquinez Coot was placed in Oakland Estuary waters today around 10:00 a.m., haven been off-loaded from the container ship YM Cypress a few minutes earlier.**Jim Dewitt, Bill Kimley, and I boarded that Coot from Dick Horn's chase boat.** We quickly disconnected the four crane cables*and started our trip to the Richmond Yacht Club's marina for commissioning.* Shortly after passing under the Bay Bridge, we saw our first waterbird.* It was swimming about 30 feet*distant and was a Coot!

We made a sidetrip to the Emeryville Marina to purchase fuel at $5 a gallon.* Continuing to Richmond, there was a good deal of bow spray heading into small-craft-warning headwinds, so the windshield wipers got some practice.

Upon arriving at the RYC marina, we began washing the boat.* There was a lot of diesel soot from being near the stern for 6,000 miles or so.* We also assembled the mast and installed the radar radome.* More washing, raising the mast, and hoisting the sails is planned for tomorrow (Memorial Day).

Jim DeWitt and his wife Sally*invited us, as well as Don and his wife*and two other Coot-admiring*couple-friends of Jim and Sally,*for Chinese take-out dinner.* The meal was excellent and hospitality was warm.

Would you believe my Chinese-cookie fortune said "A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships were built"?