City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
May they rest in peace!
Old 05-28-2017, 08:25 AM   #3

City: PNW
Vessel Name: Lady A
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Heroes and heroines that gave the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom and the freedom of many peoples around the globe.
God bless each and every one of them.
Tuttouomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 09:10 AM   #4
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Amen
Old 05-28-2017, 09:19 AM   #5
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Since someone started this...

Here is a link to some information about my Uncle, Lt. David Sage Hays. KIA in Europe during WWII. Any of you would do me a great honor to take a look. Forgive the formatting, it was put together back in the days of HTML 2.0.

https://tinyurl.com/ya2k9lr6

Here also is a link that author John Lowden wrote to my Uncle, Col. James Hays regarding my Uncle David.

https://tinyurl.com/yag9m3u5

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 09:33 AM   #6
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Got into flying helos because of my uncle, my son 3rd generation helos with the Navy.

He was one of the last to die of polio....way too young. One of the last to fly evacuees out of zchina before communism. Died just before I was born.

Marine Gets Silver Star
The Silver Star has been won by Marine First Lieutenant Gustave Lueddeke, Jr., who is back in the United States after almost a year in Korea. The son of Mr. and Mrs. Lueddeke of 112 Oakview Avenue, Maplewood, New Jersey, the Marine officer was cited for heroic action with the First Marine Division. He also holds the Distinguished Flying Cross and gold stars in lieu of third and fourth Air Medals for other actions in Korea. His wife is the former Gertrude Marsh of Maplewood. The couple, who have two children, a son, and an infant daughter, make their home in Quantico, Virginia. The citation for his awards reads:
"For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action against the enemy while serving with a Marine Observation Squadron in Korea on 27 and 28 September 1950. As the pilot of an unarmed helicopter, First Lieutenant Lueddeke made seven flights over enemy held territory to evacuate fourteen United States Army personnel that were isolated from friendly forces by an enemy ambush. Upon learning that a unit of the First Army Cavalry Division had been ambushed and sustained several serious casualties, he volunteered to fly to the area and aid in their evacuation. Although the area was forty-five air miles from his base, and regardless of his own personal safety, he successfully completed his voluntary mission, thereby saving the lives of the wounded United States Army personnel. His actions and devotion to duty were an inspiration to all members of his squadron. First Lieutenant Lueddeke's heroic actions were in keeping with the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service."
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 09:59 AM   #7

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Cool Water
Vessel Model: C&L Puget Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Since someone started this...

Here is a link to some information about my Uncle, Lt. David Sage Hays. KIA in Europe during WWII. Any of you would do me a great honor to take a look. Forgive the formatting, it was put together back in the days of HTML 2.0.

https://tinyurl.com/ya2k9lr6

Here also is a link that author John Lowden wrote to my Uncle, Col. James Hays regarding my Uncle David.

https://tinyurl.com/yag9m3u5
Great story Amigo. I spent many years in the Airborne. Finished with the Special Forces. Those Glider Guy's were legend. As were those men who rode to combat in them. Not something I would want to experience. I, after reading these posts, sit here re-visiting the faces of the men that I knew who died while we were in combat. Those long-ago days were yesterday.
TONTOROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 10:04 AM   #8
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by TONTOROSS View Post
I, after reading these posts, sit here re-visiting the faces of the men that I knew who died while we were in combat. Those long-ago days were yesterday.

I can't imagine. It is one thing to lose friends, family, and acquaintances to war. It must be quite another thing altogether to lose your fellow soldiers, airmen, or sailors in combat. Just know that I (and most others) are both deeply sorry, and deeply grateful.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 10:37 AM   #9
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Here is a picture that motivated me for the final years flying....the tragic loss of fellow pilots

The helo was called out in very low visibility, rough conditions near Humbolt Bay, Ca.

What is left of the helo is the barely visible orange wreckage in the trees.

The 2 sailors, one active duty Navy if I am not mixing up old mishaps, we rescued the next day I believe, here is their boat the next morning...still at anchor.

From then on, risk management for me was an obsession gone wild.
Attached Thumbnails
helo.jpg  
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote