Old 01-24-2020, 08:31 AM   #21
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
The Admiral volunteers at the local animal shelter resale shop. The things people throw away or donate is almost beyond belief. In both a good and a bad sense.

Some name brand clothing, never worn. Some old rags which smell so bad of smoke and B.O. you don't even want to touch them.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 09:04 AM   #22
Guru

City: Bethlehem, PA
Vessel Name: Lady Kay V
Vessel Model: 1978 Hatteras 53MY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Meisinger View Post
Some name brand clothing, never worn.
Eventually the stuff addiction with its short term gratification need referred to by the euphemism of: "retail therapy" leads to a pile of stuff that is unmanageable. Either they see the light, or their hand is forced by having to move and downsize, or having to move to the next world and the estate cleaning up the mess.

Based on retail sales figures the problem is widespread, and growing.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:37 AM   #23
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
I work for a lumber company that makes hardwood flooring. I was talking with a customer the other day about some white oak flooring he needed. I asked how soon he needed it and he said “I need it before the weekend because he wanted to let set in the house a while to get articulated.”
What he meant was acclimated.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:07 AM   #24
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. PM. Maybe he DID mean articulated. Did he ask for warped lumber to go around corners?
Old 01-24-2020, 10:21 AM   #25
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
I have been involved in three house clearings: both parents and our own when we moved aboard. We all are familiar with how your stuff expands to fill the space available, it is not so easy to make it go away. It was easier with parents as we were not so invested, but I still remember writing the checks for our own belongings. Step one was to see if friends and family wanted anything which was very little. Step two was to see if Craigslist would thin things down which was also very little. Then it was on to the donation centers who turned out to be surprisingly picky. Then it was time for yard sales where we practicality paid people to haul stuff away. Finally it was time for the big dumpster.
Lessons learned? Nobody wants your antique furniture, “brown” furniture can’t even be given away no matter what you paid for it 30 years ago. The same with room size Persian carpets, plates, silverware, pots and pans and yard and garden tools. The only thing I had any luck selling was power and hand tools and shop furnishings and equipment, drill press, sanders, table saw, hydraulic press, etc.
Bottom line: nobody wants your old stuff and if you have heirs do them a favor and get rid of it yourself, don’t dump it on them.

Apologies for going off topic, but post #22 triggered me.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 10:54 AM   #26

City: St James City/Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: Charlie Noble
Vessel Model: 32 Nordic Tug
We just purchased a used, but less than a year old aluminiun framed, adjustable boat lift cover. For about 1/3 the price of new. They even delivered it.
Thank you craigslist [emoji16]
Old 01-24-2020, 11:18 AM   #27
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
We had a new Coke machine installed last summer at the lumber mill. The guy that delivered it and put in place was very nice. He told me if we have any problems with the machine to just call the 800 number on the machine. He went on to say that I would not get a real person to talk to but I would get an animation instead.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:41 AM   #28
TF Site Team

City: MX, thru Canal to Bahamas
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
But you can also benefit from some of those poorly written ads, the big question is why were they poorly written. Maybe the owner is just and idiot but maybe it is a relative getting rid of granddad's boat after his passing. Or maybe it is the wife writing the ad as the sale of the item is part of divorce proceeding (how I got my bike). And often these third party advertisers don't know the worth of the item.

Yep, like the diesel generator I purchased for a song. The seller had drastically dropped his price because he got NO callers in about 3 weeks. I found his ad by purposely searching for "deisel" generator. I paid his last asking price, and was tickled pink!

My mother used to tell me that the written word was your first contact to many new people, be it in your job, or your private life. If you intent is to come across as an illiterate clod from from the backwoods of say Kentucky . . . wait, that's where I live right now, anyway, you are represented by your diction, and your grammar, so only you can decide how you want to come across!
slowgoesit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 12:23 PM   #29
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
We have a local charity donation retailer much like a Sally Anne in Parksville BC called S.O.S; I have bought a lot of items from them. First used shoes that have barely been worn, look at the heel if its not worn at all, it's a pretty new shoe. I've bought a couple of Florsheims, Mephistos and other well known brand names. The average price is $10 but I had to pay $15 for the Mephistos. My boating shoes - Sperry - is from there, $10. My boating raincoat, two of my life jackets (inspected by the Coast Guard at French Creek), a number of great boating books on GPS, Radar, self teaching Navigation, and others including a second copy of Chapman's that I keep at home, the other one on the boat. I paid $5 for a 2006 edition of that Chapman.

[Short story: The first time I experienced anchor drag off of the bay and marina of Keats Island BC was back in 1976. Not only was it my first anchor drag experience, it was also my first anchoring experience. So I drop the anchor, wind comes up, boats all around me and I notice they all seem to be moving forward. Then I instantly realize they are stationary and I am going backwards. So up the anchor and reset. About 20 minutes later, the same experience - all the boats are going forward, hey wait a minute. So third time my buddy is on the tiller (26 foot Tanzer sailboat) and I am down below speed reading Chapman's chapter on anchoring and that is when I discovered Jesus.. no wait a minute... that is when I discovered "scope." After letting out what felt like a massive amount of rode, the anchor set (Fortress) and there was happiness through out the land, or at least in the bay. This story is why I always keep a copy of Chapman's on board.]

And my wife gave me a hard time after I brought my tenth shoes home from SOS. So I said to her, I paid ten dollars for this pair, how much did you pay for your last pair of shoes?
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 07:37 PM   #30
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
I like “shopping” in pawnshops. I’ve bought a lot of precision measuring tools, micrometers, dial indicators, torque wrenches, snap gages, etc as well as binoculars. That’s where I got my Canon 18x50 stabilized and my Steiners. All for dimes on the dollar!
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 07:43 PM   #31
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. 48. "...how much did you pay for your last pair of shoes?" You ACTUALLY asked your wife that question?

Old 01-24-2020, 07:55 PM   #32
TF Site Team

City: MX, thru Canal to Bahamas
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. 48. "...how much did you pay for your last pair of shoes?" You ACTUALLY asked your wife that question?

WOW! Skating on REALLY thin ice there! You DO realize that the reason many women buy shoes is so that other women can't HAVE them, don't you?
slowgoesit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 11:35 PM   #33
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
WOW! Skating on REALLY thin ice there! You DO realize that the reason many women buy shoes is so that other women can't HAVE them, don't you?

�� I am lucky, my wife doesn't spend a great deal on clothing and I even less as I sit here wearing jeans from SOS and a long sleeve T shirt affair also from SOS. These are my dog walking clothes, complete with muddy paw prints on the jeans, most not my dog. I pay for my stuff, she pays for hers.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 11:46 PM   #34
Guru

City: Southwest MI
Vessel Name: Sobelle
Vessel Model: C-Dory 22 Cruiser
My wife goes to the town thrift shops a minimum of once a week. Gets a lot nice stuff there. Her current winter coat cost $1. It appeared to be brand new.
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 01:11 AM   #35

City: PNW
Vessel Name: Panorama
Vessel Model: Cruise-A-Home Corsair 40 & Fiberform 28'
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
We had a very intelligent Polish woman who had an engineering degree from Poland where I worked.

Did you enjoy working in Poland?
GoGuyGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 01:19 AM   #36

City: PNW
Vessel Name: Panorama
Vessel Model: Cruise-A-Home Corsair 40 & Fiberform 28'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
I have been involved in three house clearings: both parents and our own when we moved aboard. We all are familiar with how your stuff expands to fill the space available...
Bottom line: nobody wants your old stuff and if you have heirs do them a favor and get rid of it yourself, don’t dump it on them.

Apologies for going off topic, but post #22 triggered me.

Post #22 being oscar's, and I am in agreement with both of you.
GoGuyGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 06:39 AM   #37
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Back to checking on one’s work: One of my first jobs was in the sports dept at a daily newspaper. The sports editor—who had a flask he drew from liberally every evening—was scrambling to get a photo into the first edition one night. The photo was a locker room shot showing jubilation after the team won the state championship and the editor didn’t notice that something else was showing . . . actually proudly hanging out the side of one of the larger player’s jock strap. The editor got an unexpected month’s vacation and after that used a magnifying glass on most of the pictures we ran.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 07:00 AM   #38
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Another from a classic wordsmith from work:
"You can't go in there Arch."
"Why not Frank?"
"Endangered species in the hallway."
"What?"
"Pedigreed falcon"
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 07:19 AM   #39

City: Long Valley
Vessel Name: No Worries
Vessel Model: Beneteau ST44
Yesterday a passed a car for a house cleaning company. It had advertising all over it. In the back corner they were proud to show that they accept most "MAYOR " credit cards.
4fun1 is offline   Reply With Quote