Maybe this one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You know what they say about how to make a small fortune fixing up old boats...

Start with a large fortune.

Scott

:thumb::thumb:

That advice applies to all old boats regardless of size. The numbers seem to square by the boat length.

GG, I've wasted more hours than I care to admit looking longingly at old large boats and will only offer that it is a false economy. An old saying goes "you get what you pay for", not always true with boats.

That 4 1/2 year old Bering that George posted pictures of was lauded as the next best thing since sliced bread when it launched according to the reviews I read. It doesn't look to be anymore...

Whether it’s a house, car, RV, or boat there is a lot of trash out there and you have to just keep looking as maybe one in ten is worth considering. For my boat what I had to do was determine how much I wanted to spend and keep looking in the price range. I found what I wanted, but did not have a anyone along to take a dispassionate good look at the boat. I missed a retracting keel that needed fiberglass work, it did not move up and down as it should. Also, I missed where water had frozen and caused some cracks in the fiberglass floor. I fixed both myself but if I had slowed up and put about 30 minutes more into the inspection, I probably would not have bought the boat. My point is you need a surveyor to keep you honest about the boat’s condition and that if you keep looking, you will find one that either needs a little fixing up but is basically sound where the owner lost interest, or one that is just spotless and the owner has to get out for some financial reason, but an any rate the boat is a good one.

There are boats that have been kept up and ones that have been rebuilt, but it takes a lot of looking. Folks are saying there’s a lot of trash out there and that is correct, but with a careful inspection, I think GG will find her boat. She probably will have to spend a bit more for one in good condition but it’s best to have someone else spend all the money it takes to get it right. The boating market did the same thing as the housing market only worse so some people put a lot of money into a boat to fix it up and now there is no way to get that money back. GG has said she wants a boat that is already fixed up so I think she knows what she is doing; she has seen it in the housing market. Right now the stock market is where the money is and some of these folks are looking for that spotless boat, the party dock queen, but that’s not what GG wants. The motor sailor is out of fashion and the trawlers she is looking at are not flashy so she is avoiding that competition.

Last edited:
GG, I really like the lines of that boat in the pacific, maybe not the old equipment. Maybe it's time to talk to someone like Custom Steel Boats in NC. The Flowers have been building in steel for a long time. Maybe show Rodney Flowers a picture of what you want, I'm pretty sure he has a long list of Naval Archetics he works with. What have you got to lose? Could be interesting. I've never met the Flowers, just what I've read about them through boating publications.Larryw

Good thought Larry. Thnx

Whether it’s a house, car, RV, or boat there is a lot of trash out there and you have to just keep looking as maybe one in ten is worth considering. For my boat what I had to do was determine how much I wanted to spend and keep looking in the price range. I found what I wanted, but did not have a anyone along to take a dispassionate good look at the boat. I missed a retracting keel that needed fiberglass work, it did not move up and down as it should. Also, I missed where water had frozen and caused some cracks in the fiberglass floor. I fixed both myself but if I had slowed up and put about 30 minutes more into the inspection, I probably would not have bought the boat. My point is you need a surveyor to keep you honest about the boat’s condition and that if you keep looking, you will find one that either needs a little fixing up but is basically sound where the owner lost interest, or one that is just spotless and the owner has to get out for some financial reason, but an any rate the boat is a good one.

There are boats that have been kept up and ones that have been rebuilt, but it takes a lot of looking. Folks are saying there’s a lot of trash out there and that is correct, but with a careful inspection, I think GG will find her boat. She probably will have to spend a bit more for one in good condition but it’s best to have someone else spend all the money it takes to get it right. The boating market did the same thing as the housing market only worse so some people put a lot of money into a boat to fix it up and now there is no way to get that money back. GG has said she wants a boat that is already fixed up so I think she knows what she is doing; she has seen it in the housing market. Right now the stock market is where the money is and some of these folks are looking for that spotless boat, the party dock queen, but that’s not what GG wants. The motor sailor is out of fashion and the trawlers she is looking at are not flashy so she is avoiding that competition.

I'm sure I'll find the boat. I just have to keep at it. I can always go to Plan B, which I'm not keen on, which would be to grab a cheap coastal Hat for a couple years of learning, then upgrade later. But, for now I'm going to keep looking.

GG, I really like the lines of that boat in the pacific, maybe not the old equipment. Maybe it's time to talk to someone like Custom Steel Boats in NC. The Flowers have been building in steel for a long time. Maybe show Rodney Flowers a picture of what you want, I'm pretty sure he has a long list of Naval Archetics he works with. What have you got to lose? Could be interesting. I've never met the Flowers, just what I've read about them through boating publications.Larryw

Yeah that's a super idea. Gets the budget back up in the 3-4 million range. Or you can buy this used one, a beautiful local boat I am familiar with that has been on the market for awhile:

Planet Yacht - 65' Custom Steel Boats

A mill will probably take it, just guessing.

GG,
once you're a thousand miles from land, the size of you're bow is not going to matter much. I'm going to try to attach this photo I took a loooong time ago of the USS Intrepid just before the flight deck went under water. This ship is now moored in New York harbor if you happen to be in the area; stand on the flight deck and look down. then you will have an idea of what waves really look like. My ship was 150' away from the Intrepid when I took this photo. Our bow was 35' up and we went completely under. This was a nice sunny day; it was not a storm
John

Attachments

• Scan0001.jpg
    Scan0001.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 150
Plan B

I have been watching this boat for a while now. I could potentially buy this as a Plan B and buy something more seaworthy later.
I know that the popular opinion, and for very good reason, is to stay local, but anyhow, I'm still going to ask the question.

Do you guys think there would be any way/chance of getting this boat to the East coast on her own bottom?

View Boat Photos - YachtWorld.com

...at least it's glass :D

Wouldn't the more appropriate question be, if it can make it to the East Coast on its own bottom why buy a more seaworthy one later?

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler

Greetings,
The tank-age listed is somewhat ambiguous...For $175K ship it but keep in mind it will be wired to European electrical...+$$$.

Take a close look at photo #21, enlarge it so you can see everything clearly....keep on lookin gal, it's out there :thumb:

I have been watching this boat for a while now. I could potentially buy this as a Plan B and buy something more seaworthy later.
I know that the popular opinion, and for very good reason, is to stay local, but anyhow, I'm still going to ask the question.

Do you guys think there would be any way/chance of getting this boat to the East coast on her own bottom?

A complete and total shitbox. Run, don't walk, away from this piece of junk.

1989? I don't think so.

Scott

Sea Ranger

ok. I have been watching this one for a very long time also. It is a bit longer than I would like, but it has everything I need. The stabilizers need repair, but I am willing to deal with that if the boat is in good condition otherwise. What do you guys think?

ok. I have been watching this one for a very long time also. It is a bit longer than I would like, but it has everything I need. The stabilizers need repair, but I am willing to deal with that if the boat is in good condition otherwise. What do you guys think?

The owner is desperate to sell. You need to find out why. Also, is US tax paid?

BTW, this is in no way an offshore boat.

Scott

The owner is desperate to sell. You need to find out why. Also, is US tax paid?

BTW, this is in no way an offshore boat.

Scott

Yeah, I realize it's a coastal boat, but I was looking at it as a Plan B boat.

I agree that the owner is desperate, but what makes you think so, the suggestion of trade or financing?

What do you think a good deal offer would be, if I were to make one?

Yeah, I realize it's a coastal boat, but I was looking at it as a Plan B boat.
I agree that the owner is desperate, but what makes you think so, the suggestion of trade or financing?
What do you think a good deal offer would be, if I were to make one?

If by "Plan B" you mean "spend a ton of money on a crappy boat then sell it at a loss when I run out of money", this is a great choice. Otherwise, not so much.

The owner is clearly desperate, because they are selling the boat for very little money, especially considering what they spent in upgrades.

From what I can see, I'd offer around $225K. Not that this is a good boat to buy, there a many better choices for the same amount of money.

Scott

P.S. you'll save yourself a lot of hassle by buying a good boat instead of a crappy boat. Just sayin.

I am thinking this is a semi-displacement hull that will use a lot of fuel with 520 horsepower. If you run it at displacement speed, the engines will probably slobber and the piston rings will have carbon build up freezing the piston rings requiring an overhaul. Rolls Royce sounds expensive to me for parts and hard to get. Also this is a direct drive, no reduction gears for larger slow turning propellers so inefficient. The fuel tank seems quite small for an Atlantic crossing. The fuel tanks have to be small to keep the weight down for a semi-displacement hull to operate successfully. It's a nice looking boat and the price seems low so maybe shipping it across the Atlantic would be a good deal. I am not sure about resale value as it seems to be a make of boat that not everyone is familiar with and a careful assessment of build quality is needed.

Greetings,
Ms, GG. What the hell. Zip over to Ensenada for the weekend and have a look. Nice 2 or 3 days chillin' and lookin' at boats...Questions??

I've idled past this boat several times. I've never been on it but she's beautiful on the outside.

I've actually slept aboard, she's a very fine looking boat. Well equipped and well laid out.

Scott

If by "Plan B" you mean "spend a ton of money on a crappy boat then sell it at a loss when I run out of money", this is a great choice. Otherwise, not so much.

The owner is clearly desperate, because they are selling the boat for very little money, especially considering what they spent in upgrades.

From what I can see, I'd offer around $225K. Not that this is a good boat to buy, there a many better choices for the same amount of money.

Scott

P.S. you'll save yourself a lot of hassle by buying a good boat instead of a crappy boat. Just sayin.

Why is this a crappy boat? As you said, the owner spent a lot on upgrades. Isn't that a good thing?
I really like this boat for the money. It has an abundance of space so my teens won't be on top of eachother. The interior finishes are very nice. I wouldn't have to worry about any changes there. Just have to comb through to see about hull and mechanical condition.
Geez, 5 kids, 5 staterooms I like it...

Does this work for you? Sleeping arraignments might not be enough for your needs but it is a fine boat...IMO

2001 Defever - 63 Flushdeck Motor Yacht - Power Boat For Sale

The boat is gorgeous and like brand new. It is more than I wanted to spend. 3 staterooms, 5 kids, plus adults would be tight. I would have to rip out 2 of the beds and re-configure bunks in, which wouldn't be the worst thing. This would only work for me as a Plan A boat. So, it would have to be an ocean-crosser. It seems like more of a long range coastal boat?

Greetings,
Ms, GG. What the hell. Zip over to Ensenada for the weekend and have a look. Nice 2 or 3 days chillin' and lookin' at boats...Questions??

RTF,
Do you think the Sea Ranger, initially, would be worth the trip?

I am thinking this is a semi-displacement hull that will use a lot of fuel with 520 horsepower. If you run it at displacement speed, the engines will probably slobber and the piston rings will have carbon build up freezing the piston rings requiring an overhaul. Rolls Royce sounds expensive to me for parts and hard to get. Also this is a direct drive, no reduction gears for larger slow turning propellers so inefficient. The fuel tank seems quite small for an Atlantic crossing. The fuel tanks have to be small to keep the weight down for a semi-displacement hull to operate successfully. It's a nice looking boat and the price seems low so maybe shipping it across the Atlantic would be a good deal. I am not sure about resale value as it seems to be a make of boat that not everyone is familiar with and a careful assessment of build quality is needed.

Westwinds,
What to you think of the Sea Ranger that I posted? Do you think it would get about a gallon a mile?

OMG, now a plan B. As suspected months ago, you are just kicking tires. But please don't let up GG, we old pharts need the lighter side from time to time.

Greetings,
Ms. GG. Depending on where you are in the world, I'm looking at 12" of that white crap out my window, a long weekend in Mexico sounds pretty good right now BUT, Mr. IE raises a VERY valid point. Is the US tax paid and how much would it be to import?
VERY, VERY difficult to tell much from photos but you're gonna have to go on SOME boats eventually, so why not this one?
Doesn't appear to be too much S&S hanky panky going on in the ER. Seems to fit plan "B"....Overall (from the pics) seems OK.
Take lots of pictures. I'm expecting a FULL report!
Mr. s. Of course, There's always a plan "B".
wink.gif

Last edited:
While I kind of agree with RT, I think a more valuable, less costly learning experience would be to buy a Jet Blue ticket to Florida for a week and to go look and learn about boats that might come even marginally close to your needs. You will learn so much if you get decent broker to show you around. There are so many vessels available that you will have a much better idea of what you can live with, even if you do not find THE boat. Easy, cheap trip. Better than flying all over the place to see "one-off long shots". Just do a YW search for the general category and stretch price up a bit. For example have you seen the 75 Tarrab (single engine)??

If you are going to California I still look at the 66 Choy Lee as it fits the needs now and has good potential for Blue water. Choy Lee is know for the larger pleasure and commercial boats. No matter what size, make sure the local marinas has moorage and yards can lift it, which might be the limiting factors.

I have always put Plan B ahead to be a live aboard, 100% of the time and coastal cruising, 10% of the time before Plan A blue water /ocean crossing that might/may could happen 5+ years in the future. Heck in 5 years its a very good chance you will not be a lived aboard, 75%.

Also it might be better to finance part of the boat that meets you need now, rather than buy a boat that does not or will need a lot of time and funds. Probable better cash flow wise also as you can finance part of the boat but you can not finance remodel/repairs. If we had to do over again we might have bought a bigger more expensive boat and financed it as the Eagle the first 5 year boat united us, 1 grand, but we had the cash flow and between my wife and I had the skills required. There is nothing wrong with financing especially if it’s going to be your home. The only way we can justify owning the Eagle is that we live on it. :thumb:

The last point is time is slipping by and you will never make up for it. Time with you children is Priceless. Even though we were the white trash of the marina we would not trade the memories.

Back
Top Bottom