Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-22-2013, 09:14 PM   #161
Senior Member
 
City: USA
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by westwinds View Post
OMGoodness...The boats are getting longer and longer. 85' . You have a more faith in me than I have in me...

There's no way I want to re-build a boat, I have seen a couple of very tempting, serious ocean going trawlers, one in particular, that is almost complete, but I know nothing of boat construction.
__________________
Advertisement

GalaxyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:29 PM   #162
Senior Member
 
City: USA
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 267
This is the boat I was almost thinking of finishing...

View Boat Photos - YachtWorld.com
__________________

GalaxyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:23 PM   #163
123
Member
 
City: ---
Country: ---
Vessel Name: ---
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
OMGoodness...The boats are getting longer and longer. 85' . You have a more faith in me than I have in me...

There's no way I want to re-build a boat, I have seen a couple of very tempting, serious ocean going trawlers, one in particular, that is almost complete, but I know nothing of boat construction.
serious ocean going trawlers

Please give the stability calculations, then we can judge if she is "Ocean Going"

1-Displacement :is the actual total weight
2-light weight :ship's hull, machinery and any fixed equipments.
3-dead weight : fuel,water ballast , fresh water , cargo,passenger and stores.
then
Displacement = Dead Wt + Light Wt
displacement can be calculated from Block coefficients at certain drafts from ship hydrostatic curves

Before these figures are know she is a Coastel vessel.
123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:27 PM   #164
123
Member
 
City: ---
Country: ---
Vessel Name: ---
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 379
GG & Mom,

You know NOTHING about boats, you think on a Forum like this you can find the expertise to help you make your decision. NO Chance.

NO Naval Engineer/Architect will help you without a paycheck. I am a 30 yr experienced Naval Engineer, i just want to warn you. I NEVER want to work for you, because i need a client who know what he wants and have the money to do it.

Pls buy a nice house, it seems you not have the money needs to pay your dreams.

Rich people buying yachts your are looking for, have a team of advisors, a captain, an engineer and staff to run the boat.

Know your limits and find a nice house. This ends in a nightmare.

My 2 centavos.

PS. from now on I not respond anymore and wait how these dreams get on the rocks.
123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:57 PM   #165
Guru
 
Codger2's Avatar
 
City: San Diego
Country: US
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiziger View Post
GG & Mom,

You know NOTHING about boats, you think on a Forum like this you can find the expertise to help you make your decision. NO Chance.

Know your limits and find a nice house. This ends in a nightmare..
Couldn't agree more!

As Clint Eastwood said, "A man's gotta know his limitations." This applies to women too! I think it's great to dream as long as you know your limitations but to plunge head long into something as complicated as crossing an ocean, without experienced experts along for the ride, is foolhardy. Try getting some experience in a much smaller vessel and then, when comfortable with coastal cruising, put a plan together for the trans ocean run. In the meantime, cross the Atlantic, vicariously, through other experienced voyagers.

The video below shows a USCG boat waiting patiently for the right sea condition to make port. This takes time to learn and one hell of a lot of practice!

__________________
Codger2

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:30 AM   #166
Guru
 
City: Hotel, CA
Country: Fried
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 8,328
Nice video Walt! Hits about a 9 1/2 on the pucker factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler
__________________
Craig

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:40 AM   #167
TF Site Team
 
Peter B's Avatar
 
City: Brisbane
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 6,669
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Dear GG and Meatsea, while the above could well be construed as sound advice, and given in good faith, I suspect it was probably a bit like a bucket of cold water over you heads, as I get the feeling you don't give up easily. I am also reminded of the time when back in 2010, right here in Queensland, a 16 year old girl, called Jessica Watson, made public she wanted to sail solo round the world, and all sorts of people tried to talk her out of it..even our own Prime Minister, largely because of her tender age and a real fear for her safety. But she did it anyway.
Jessica Watson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That being the case with you. I do feel that of all the boats you have put up lately, that De Fever 75 you linked earlier in this thread would be hard to beat for affordable ocean-going capability, as long as it passes survey well, and you added mods like handholds throughout large cabins, etc. View Boat Photos - YachtWorld.com
The advice re doing a lot of coastal stuff is good, and you have said you intend to do that. I think the time has come to start getting serious, and start surveying. We will all be interested to hear more when you are in a position to report. For now, I think many more open suggestions are merely going to muddy the water and confuse. You need to look at some of the real prospects in the flesh, so to speak.
Peter B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:12 AM   #168
Senior Member
 
City: USA
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiziger View Post
serious ocean going trawlers

Please give the stability calculations, then we can judge if she is "Ocean Going"

1-Displacement :is the actual total weight
2-light weight :ship's hull, machinery and any fixed equipments.
3-dead weight : fuel,water ballast , fresh water , cargo,passenger and stores.
then
Displacement = Dead Wt + Light Wt
displacement can be calculated from Block coefficients at certain drafts from ship hydrostatic curves

Before these figures are know she is a Coastel vessel.
Ok, great, here is the document. Would love to hear what you think.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Lady Jane Stability survey 1 of 3.pdf (299.9 KB, 82 views)
GalaxyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:25 AM   #169
Senior Member
 
City: USA
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
Couldn't agree more!

As Clint Eastwood said, "A man's gotta know his limitations." This applies to women too! I think it's great to dream as long as you know your limitations but to plunge head long into something as complicated as crossing an ocean, without experienced experts along for the ride, is foolhardy. Try getting some experience in a much smaller vessel and then, when comfortable with coastal cruising, put a plan together for the trans ocean run. In the meantime, cross the Atlantic, vicariously, through other experienced voyagers.

The video below shows a USCG boat waiting patiently for the right sea condition to make port. This takes time to learn and one hell of a lot of practice!

I appreciate the sentiment, but just another friendly reminder to everyone that I am not planning to cross without several years of coastal training FIRST...and... even then it will be with an experienced captian and crew.

I do want a boat that is capable though, so when I am ready one day, I won't have to change boats. This is the way I want to do it.
GalaxyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:31 AM   #170
Senior Member
 
City: USA
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 267
If I am not welcome. I will leave.

I came to this forum because I wanted to talk with trawler owners, because I want a trawler. I have gotten some great advice and love hearing your thoughts as I sort through trying to find my boat. However, if you guys are sick of me posting and want me to leave, then say so, and I will stop posting here.
GalaxyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:54 AM   #171
TF Site Team
 
ksanders's Avatar
 
City: SEWARD ALASKA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
I came to this forum because I wanted to talk with trawler owners, because I want a trawler. I have gotten some great advice and love hearing your thoughts as I sort through trying to find my boat. However, if you guys are sick of me posting and want me to leave, then say so, and I will stop posting here.
No GG do not leave!

There is a certain element here that thinks your method of asking questions is disregarding their advice.

I can see what you are doing. You are learning, and learning well.

You post about a boat and then let people pick it to death, and you learn from our comments.

Then you post about another boat and do the same thing.

Some people here clearly do not like that method, but I do. How can you learn if you do not put out examples and learn from them?

You learned about the plusses and minuses of wooden boats that way. You've learned about Steel boats. You've learned about old boat systems, and what it takes to maintain them.

You just keep learning...You're doing just fine.

If some of the guys don't like that method, put them on your ignore list. It works for me.
__________________
Kevin Sanders
Bayliner 4788
Seward, Alaska
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:30 AM   #172
123
Member
 
City: ---
Country: ---
Vessel Name: ---
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
I came to this forum because I wanted to talk with trawler owners, because I want a trawler. I have gotten some great advice and love hearing your thoughts as I sort through trying to find my boat. However, if you guys are sick of me posting and want me to leave, then say so, and I will stop posting here.
I am the last one who say "please stop posting", I only say I will not respond anymore.

Still think you are better off buying a nice house then a +50 ft trawler.

My 2 centavos
123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:18 AM   #173
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
I came to this forum because I wanted to talk with trawler owners, because I want a trawler. I have gotten some great advice and love hearing your thoughts as I sort through trying to find my boat. However, if you guys are sick of me posting and want me to leave, then say so, and I will stop posting here.

Dear GG and/or Meme – I don’t think there is anyone on TF who actually wants you to leave this thread...

It is obvious you both are adventurers and that you two gals wisely learn by asking questions; then by listening you discern what actions/routs to travel for best results toward realizing your intent(s). Please do understand that most here are old salts in the boating arena (me relatively so too) and much of what we learned was via years/decades of practical experience... “sea-trial” and error if you will - LOL.

I believe the reason you are experiencing some push back on some posts is due to “Old Salts’ Anxiousness”... Wherein many here feel words are just that words... and it’s now time for you two to in person begin to bodily “go forth and conquer”, so to say!

Anyway – After all is said and done in words and photos on this forum, or any other learning venue, there is really only one way for your gals to actually “Get the Feel of the Deal”, and, that is to get some in-dept hands on experience aboard boats... first, personally looking at boats with surveyors in tow... then going for sea trials with a Captain at helm and surveyor(s) aboard... then maybe commissioning a boat for extended cruise to really learn the ins and outs... than biting-the-bullet and chose the craft you actually purchase and want to make love tooooooo. Cause you will have an affair with your boat; it may be a love/hate relationship... and it could become strictly a hate relationship if you make a mistake in purchase... but only by hands on experience before any purchase can you have best chances to make it a love/love relationship.

You’ve got years ahead of you “to learn the ropes” of boating. As always – Best Luck! - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:25 AM   #174
Guru
 
City: Carefree, Arizona
Country: usa
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
I came to this forum because I wanted to talk with trawler owners, because I want a trawler. I have gotten some great advice and love hearing your thoughts as I sort through trying to find my boat. However, if you guys are sick of me posting and want me to leave, then say so, and I will stop posting here.
GG, go to where the action is - join the Nordhavn Dreamers site where similar people such as you get into some interesting give and take on future ocean crossings and desired vessels.

My guess is you have run the course on TF with most not taking you too seriously as you lack experience, money and years behind the wheel. We all started somewhere, so don't feel bad.

Maybe you should buy a real nice small day cruiser boat for $20 k or so that could easily be resold when the "dream to yet be identified" big boat arrives. Take your friends out and enjoy the pride you'll get in showing them your skills and vessel. If you have no desire to get a small day cruiser/runabout, trust me, you are not suited for the bigger boat game.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:41 AM   #175
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
GG, go to where the action is - join the Nordhavn Dreamers site where similar people such as you get into some interesting give and take on future ocean crossings and desired vessels.

My guess is you have run the course on TF with most not taking you too seriously as you lack experience, money and years behind the wheel. We all started somewhere, so don't feel bad.

Maybe you should buy a real nice small day cruiser boat for $20 k or so that could easily be resold when the "dream to yet be identified" big boat arrives. Take your friends out and enjoy the pride you'll get in showing them your skills and vessel. If you have no desire to get a small day cruiser/runabout, trust me, you are not suited for the bigger boat game.
Well put, sun! Might I suggest a Tollycraft for GG's first boat!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:51 AM   #176
Guru
 
Codger2's Avatar
 
City: San Diego
Country: US
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
If you have no desire to get a small day cruiser/runabout, trust me, you are not suited for the bigger boat game.
Although there are some who "support the dream" on this site and their council seems to be "go for it", I wonder if they would take that stand with their own kids. Kids who have absolutely no experience in boats and have announced that are going to jump immediately into a big boat, learn to drive it and then continue across the pond. With no foundation (I know, you say that you are going to do all these things first.) to do so is (looking for a big boat first) is just plain getting the cart before the horse.

If you were to change your plans a little and start looking for an entry level trawler, I'll bet the advice here would be about 99% positive and supportive.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/ByGSMmenPDM?rel=0
__________________
Codger2

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:06 PM   #177
Senior Member
 
City: USA
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
No GG do not leave!

There is a certain element here that thinks your method of asking questions is disregarding their advice.

I can see what you are doing. You are learning, and learning well.

You post about a boat and then let people pick it to death, and you learn from our comments.

Then you post about another boat and do the same thing.

Some people here clearly do not like that method, but I do. How can you learn if you do not put out examples and learn from them?

You learned about the plusses and minuses of wooden boats that way. You've learned about Steel boats. You've learned about old boat systems, and what it takes to maintain them.

You just keep learning...You're doing just fine.

If some of the guys don't like that method, put them on your ignore list. It works for me.
Thanks Kevin for the response.

I just wanted to add that every boat that I post is a boat that initially I believe could be a good fit. I would never just throw random boats out there. Baised on the feedback I get I either continue the research or scratch it off the list. This site is not the be all end all and I realize that I have to have a surveyor etc., but when 5 guys say a boat is crap, then there is a good chance that it might be. With the wooden Malahide, I would have loved to have bought that boat. It seemed almost perfect on paper, but after reading the comments and googling a bunch of stuff I decided that maybe I shouldn't start out with wood. It might be too much for me to handle. In regard to some of the steels, you guys pointed out some things just in photos that I wouldn't have picked up on until I flew out with a surveyor, saved me a trip. I have also heard the warnings about steel care, but I will still go for a steel boat, because I believe the steel care is something that I could learn and be able to stay on top of.
I would love to have a survey done and make an offer on a boat, but I am still trying to figure out what boat. I have seen a few Hats in person, but they weren't right for me.
I could and may fly to Florida and check out a bunch of random boats in April, but until then, I will continue to search for the right boat on the net.

My house will be sold soon, and I would be very happy to have my boat to move into. This is what is motivating me to keep looking every day at price drops and newly posted boats and this is why you will see my posts almost daily asking questions and advice on new finds. I really want to make a decision soon, so I am trying to be very diligent. I can rent an apartment until I find the boat, but I would prefer to have the boat right away, especially where we are just coming into good weather. It would give me the summer to sort out adding heat and whatever else needs sorting out before winter is back. I guess we'll see.

Your very right though. Every boat that you guys tear apart is a learning experience for me in the least, even if it means the boat is no good after all. I appreciate that.
GalaxyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:13 PM   #178
TF Site Team
 
ksanders's Avatar
 
City: SEWARD ALASKA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,952
GG The nay Sayers will tell you to abandon your dreams. They will tell you to give up, buy a house with a white picket fence and take up gardening.

Let me tell you my story, because the naysayers said I couldn't do it.

23 years ago I was a single parent and I had a dream. My dream was moving To Alaska, buying an airplane, buying a cabin in the woods, and living an adventure.

Well I'm here to tell you, I raised my son and nobody died, I owned a floatplane, logged a thousand hours behind the wheel, own a cabin in the woods, and shot a really nice bear on my porch step.

In 2003 the naysayers told me I was going to die bringing a Bayliner all the way from Washington to Seattle. Well I'm here to tell you they were wrong, I brought my first Bayliner to Alaska and I lived, and I've lived through lots of other adventures since then.

What I'm getting at, is the adventures in life are the ones we make, and if you let people tell you you cannot do it, if you believe them, then you will have led less of a life.

So as far as I'm concerned, you just go right ahead asking your questions, continue living your dream, and eventually you will of had a better life than the naysayers
__________________
Kevin Sanders
Bayliner 4788
Seward, Alaska
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:14 PM   #179
Senior Member
 
City: USA
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
Although there are some who "support the dream" on this site and their council seems to be "go for it", I wonder if they would take that stand with their own kids. Kids who have absolutely no experience in boats and have announced that are going to jump immediately into a big boat, learn to drive it and then continue across the pond. With no foundation (I know, you say that you are going to do all these things first.) to do so is (looking for a big boat first) is just plain getting the cart before the horse.

If you were to change your plans a little and start looking for an entry level trawler, I'll bet the advice here would be about 99% positive and supportive.

Incredible video - fishing boats in rough sea - YouTube
Walt,
I can appreciate your point. The reason that I need a big boat is because 85% of the time we will be docked at the marina as liveaboards. I want my family to be comfortable while living aboard at the dock. It won't take much for us, but a 20' boat certainly won't do it.
GalaxyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:58 PM   #180
Guru
 
Codger2's Avatar
 
City: San Diego
Country: US
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
I want my family to be comfortable while living aboard at the dock..
OK! You've sold me....It's a really expensive way to go (A house would be appreciating during this time...) but if you want to live on the water, go for it!

Where's RTF & the Dutchman? I'm out of here.
__________________

__________________
Codger2

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012