Old 03-18-2013, 09:38 PM   #101
Guru

City: Hill Country TX/S.Portland Maine
Vessel Name: Southern Cross III
Vessel Model: 1988 Defever 41
Take a close look at photo #21, enlarge it so you can see everything clearly....keep on lookin gal, it's out there

Old 03-18-2013, 09:56 PM   #102

City: Toronto & Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Island Eagle
Vessel Model: DeFever
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
I have been watching this boat for a while now. I could potentially buy this as a Plan B and buy something more seaworthy later.
I know that the popular opinion, and for very good reason, is to stay local, but anyhow, I'm still going to ask the question.

Do you guys think there would be any way/chance of getting this boat to the East coast on her own bottom?

View Boat Photos - YachtWorld.com

...at least it's glass
A complete and total shitbox. Run, don't walk, away from this piece of junk.

1989? I don't think so.

Scott

IslandEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:18 PM   #103

City: USA
Sea Ranger

ok. I have been watching this one for a very long time also. It is a bit longer than I would like, but it has everything I need. The stabilizers need repair, but I am willing to deal with that if the boat is in good condition otherwise. What do you guys think?

GalaxyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:23 PM   #104

Quote:
ok. I have been watching this one for a very long time also. It is a bit longer than I would like, but it has everything I need. The stabilizers need repair, but I am willing to deal with that if the boat is in good condition otherwise. What do you guys think?

The owner is desperate to sell. You need to find out why. Also, is US tax paid?

BTW, this is in no way an offshore boat.

Scott
Old 03-18-2013, 10:29 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandEagle View Post
The owner is desperate to sell. You need to find out why. Also, is US tax paid?

BTW, this is in no way an offshore boat.

Scott
Yeah, I realize it's a coastal boat, but I was looking at it as a Plan B boat.

I agree that the owner is desperate, but what makes you think so, the suggestion of trade or financing?

What do you think a good deal offer would be, if I were to make one?
Old 03-18-2013, 10:58 PM   #106

Quote:
I agree that the owner is desperate, but what makes you think so, the suggestion of trade or financing?
If by "Plan B" you mean "spend a ton of money on a crappy boat then sell it at a loss when I run out of money", this is a great choice. Otherwise, not so much.

The owner is clearly desperate, because they are selling the boat for very little money, especially considering what they spent in upgrades.

From what I can see, I'd offer around $225K. Not that this is a good boat to buy, there a many better choices for the same amount of money.

Scott

P.S. you'll save yourself a lot of hassle by buying a good boat instead of a crappy boat. Just sayin.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:13 PM   #107
Veteran Member

City: Wisconsin
Quote:
I have been watching this boat for a while now. I could potentially buy this as a Plan B and buy something more seaworthy later.
I know that the popular opinion, and for very good reason, is to stay local, but anyhow, I'm still going to ask the question.

Do you guys think there would be any way/chance of getting this boat to the East coast on her own bottom?

...at least it's glass
I am thinking this is a semi-displacement hull that will use a lot of fuel with 520 horsepower. If you run it at displacement speed, the engines will probably slobber and the piston rings will have carbon build up freezing the piston rings requiring an overhaul. Rolls Royce sounds expensive to me for parts and hard to get. Also this is a direct drive, no reduction gears for larger slow turning propellers so inefficient. The fuel tank seems quite small for an Atlantic crossing. The fuel tanks have to be small to keep the weight down for a semi-displacement hull to operate successfully. It's a nice looking boat and the price seems low so maybe shipping it across the Atlantic would be a good deal. I am not sure about resale value as it seems to be a make of boat that not everyone is familiar with and a careful assessment of build quality is needed.
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:17 PM   #108
Guru

City: Hill Country TX/S.Portland Maine
Vessel Name: Southern Cross III
Vessel Model: 1988 Defever 41
Quote:

Does this work for you? Sleeping arraignments might not be enough for your needs but it is a fine boat...IMO

2001 Defever - 63 Flushdeck Motor Yacht - Power Boat For Sale
Old 03-18-2013, 11:23 PM   #109
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Ms, GG. What the hell. Zip over to Ensenada for the weekend and have a look. Nice 2 or 3 days chillin' and lookin' at boats...Questions??
Old 03-18-2013, 11:29 PM   #110
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguewave View Post
Does this work for you? Sleeping arraignments might not be enough for your needs but it is a fine boat...IMO

I've idled past this boat several times. I've never been on it but she's beautiful on the outside.

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:36 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
I've idled past this boat several times. I've never been on it but she's beautiful on the outside.
I've actually slept aboard, she's a very fine looking boat. Well equipped and well laid out.

Scott
Old 03-18-2013, 11:38 PM   #112
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:

Now THAT is a sweet ride!
Old 03-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandEagle View Post
If by "Plan B" you mean "spend a ton of money on a crappy boat then sell it at a loss when I run out of money", this is a great choice. Otherwise, not so much.

The owner is clearly desperate, because they are selling the boat for very little money, especially considering what they spent in upgrades.

From what I can see, I'd offer around $225K. Not that this is a good boat to buy, there a many better choices for the same amount of money.

Scott

P.S. you'll save yourself a lot of hassle by buying a good boat instead of a crappy boat. Just sayin.
Why is this a crappy boat? As you said, the owner spent a lot on upgrades. Isn't that a good thing?
I really like this boat for the money. It has an abundance of space so my teens won't be on top of eachother. The interior finishes are very nice. I wouldn't have to worry about any changes there. Just have to comb through to see about hull and mechanical condition.
Geez, 5 kids, 5 staterooms I like it...
Old 03-19-2013, 09:57 AM   #114

Quote:

The boat is gorgeous and like brand new. It is more than I wanted to spend. 3 staterooms, 5 kids, plus adults would be tight. I would have to rip out 2 of the beds and re-configure bunks in, which wouldn't be the worst thing. This would only work for me as a Plan A boat. So, it would have to be an ocean-crosser. It seems like more of a long range coastal boat?
Old 03-19-2013, 09:59 AM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Ms, GG. What the hell. Zip over to Ensenada for the weekend and have a look. Nice 2 or 3 days chillin' and lookin' at boats...Questions??
RTF,
Do you think the Sea Ranger, initially, would be worth the trip?
Old 03-19-2013, 10:00 AM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwinds View Post
I am thinking this is a semi-displacement hull that will use a lot of fuel with 520 horsepower. If you run it at displacement speed, the engines will probably slobber and the piston rings will have carbon build up freezing the piston rings requiring an overhaul. Rolls Royce sounds expensive to me for parts and hard to get. Also this is a direct drive, no reduction gears for larger slow turning propellers so inefficient. The fuel tank seems quite small for an Atlantic crossing. The fuel tanks have to be small to keep the weight down for a semi-displacement hull to operate successfully. It's a nice looking boat and the price seems low so maybe shipping it across the Atlantic would be a good deal. I am not sure about resale value as it seems to be a make of boat that not everyone is familiar with and a careful assessment of build quality is needed.
Westwinds,
What to you think of the Sea Ranger that I posted? Do you think it would get about a gallon a mile?
Old 03-19-2013, 10:08 AM   #117
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
OMG, now a plan B. As suspected months ago, you are just kicking tires. But please don't let up GG, we old pharts need the lighter side from time to time.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #118
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Ms. GG. Depending on where you are in the world, I'm looking at 12" of that white crap out my window, a long weekend in Mexico sounds pretty good right now BUT, Mr. IE raises a VERY valid point. Is the US tax paid and how much would it be to import?
VERY, VERY difficult to tell much from photos but you're gonna have to go on SOME boats eventually, so why not this one?
Doesn't appear to be too much S&S hanky panky going on in the ER. Seems to fit plan "B"....Overall (from the pics) seems OK.
Take lots of pictures. I'm expecting a FULL report!
Mr. s. Of course, There's always a plan "B".
Old 03-19-2013, 10:45 AM   #119
Guru

While I kind of agree with RT, I think a more valuable, less costly learning experience would be to buy a Jet Blue ticket to Florida for a week and to go look and learn about boats that might come even marginally close to your needs. You will learn so much if you get decent broker to show you around. There are so many vessels available that you will have a much better idea of what you can live with, even if you do not find THE boat. Easy, cheap trip. Better than flying all over the place to see "one-off long shots". Just do a YW search for the general category and stretch price up a bit. For example have you seen the 75 Tarrab (single engine)??
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #120
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
If you are going to California I still look at the 66 Choy Lee as it fits the needs now and has good potential for Blue water. Choy Lee is know for the larger pleasure and commercial boats. No matter what size, make sure the local marinas has moorage and yards can lift it, which might be the limiting factors.

I have always put Plan B ahead to be a live aboard, 100% of the time and coastal cruising, 10% of the time before Plan A blue water /ocean crossing that might/may could happen 5+ years in the future. Heck in 5 years its a very good chance you will not be a lived aboard, 75%.

Also it might be better to finance part of the boat that meets you need now, rather than buy a boat that does not or will need a lot of time and funds. Probable better cash flow wise also as you can finance part of the boat but you can not finance remodel/repairs. If we had to do over again we might have bought a bigger more expensive boat and financed it as the Eagle the first 5 year boat united us, 1 grand, but we had the cash flow and between my wife and I had the skills required. There is nothing wrong with financing especially if itís going to be your home. The only way we can justify owning the Eagle is that we live on it.

The last point is time is slipping by and you will never make up for it. Time with you children is Priceless. Even though we were the white trash of the marina we would not trade the memories.

Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote