Old 03-15-2013, 06:24 PM   #41
Veteran Member

City: Wisconsin
Sewage Disposal

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwinds View Post
...Marine vacuum-flush toilets use about 1.5 pints per flush or about 3 times less so the tank would be good for 12 days.
Some marinas have boats that go around and pump holding tanks. Moving a 66 foot boat to a pump out every week or so could be a problem. Not sure how many marinas have sewers out to the boats. Need to check on where the boat will be kept to see what is available for sewage disposal.

westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:59 PM   #42
Guru

She should let her kids pee off the side. It is all natural stuff. Keep the volume down!!! The oceans are rising, a little more will not make much difference. Plus what about all those Chinese pigs???

Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:37 PM   #43

City: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Ms. GG. Mr. westwinds raises valid concerns to which I will add one other. A steel hull is in need of regular zinc maintenance. More so than wood or FRP. You could be looking at a hefty expense to haul and re-zinc on a regular basis. I don't think this is a diver job. The boat has to be hauled. To my understanding the old zincs have to be ground off and new ones welded on. Just one more thing to add to the equation...
RTF,
I was budgeting for a once a year haul-out for bottom paint. Do you think the zincs would have to be done more than once a year?
GalaxyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:40 PM   #44

Quote:

Are you going to look at it?
I have e-mailed the broker for more photos, more info and a few questions. I am waiting for a response.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:53 PM   #45

City: Toronto & Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Island Eagle
Vessel Model: DeFever
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
I was budgeting for a once a year haul-out for bottom paint. Do you think the zincs would have to be done more than once a year?
Just out of curiosity, what are you budgeting for that?

And btw you can probably get away with hauling every three years if you are in colder waters.

Scott Welch
Island Eagle
IslandEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:58 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisjs View Post
That was an interesting post. He suggested that steel boats have a shelf live of 15 years. Well, this boat is waaaayyyy past that. So, would this make her a rust bucket? There are so many older steel boats still out there. Maybe it all depends on their level of care through the years? One guy says 15 years and the next guy says it will outlast you...hmmm
Old 03-15-2013, 09:01 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by portager View Post
My main concern is that the listing does not mention stabilizers or thrusters, both of which would be on my must have list. I had complete a trip and dock single handed in an emergency once and I vowed I'd by boat would be configured for single hand operation. I think I could single hand Tigress if she had hydraulic bow and stern thrusters.
This was one of the questions I asked the broker.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:08 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post
I think its worse than the boats she been looking at. Does not fit her basic requirement of being a live aboard for 6, the salon and staterooms are small, shippy stark. The boat is a AC electric power hog, and probable being built in Europe has the 240 European wiring again. The engine hours were not listed, old gardener engines, and parts/service might be hard to find. The helms access/location/visiblity is a concern. It will be a real bitch to dock the boat. Still does not have the range, water and holding tanks and no heat. Being steel has also been mentioned but the fuel tanks would be a big concern. The tanks are my biggest concern about the Eagle.

UNLESS GG has 500 grand cash/funds to drop in the boat. She might be able to get financing for the boat, but they do not finance for moving the boat, up grade/remodel that requires cash and time. Plus the total turn around cost and cash flow will be far more than buying a million plus boat.

If she is interested in steel, she should go back and look at the un finish steel in organ and finish/pimp out the interior for 200+ grand. I still like the 66 Choy Lee as it will make a great live aboard and has the basic/potential to cross oceans as windows, doors, hand holds, stabilization can be added later when/if needed.

You should already have liability insurance, weather you insure the boat or not.
I will have full coverage for sure and maximum liability. Insurance shouldn't be a problem. I have already spoken to several insurance companies.

I agree it is shippy. I can make some fairly minor adjustements to the cabins and heads and they will be fine. I do think there is enough space for everyone to have their own nook. The saloon is much smaller than I would have prefered, but I can be fine with it. The galley I would probably have to gut.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:11 PM   #49

Quote:
That was an interesting post. He suggested that steel boats have a shelf live of 15 years. Well, this boat is waaaayyyy past that. So, would this make her a rust bucket? There are so many older steel boats still out there. Maybe it all depends on their level of care through the years? One guy says 15 years and the next guy says it will outlast you...hmmm
I've said it before, I'll say it again. If your heart is set on a steel boat, get this one:
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1967.../United-States

It's been a few years since I was on it, but the condition then was truly flawless. Plus, it has a layout that can't be beat. 5 real, good sized cabins. And to top it off the owner is meticulous. It was originally build for Harry See of See's Candies.

Scott Welch
Island Eagle
Old 03-15-2013, 09:13 PM   #50

Quote:
Some marinas have boats that go around and pump holding tanks. Moving a 66 foot boat to a pump out every week or so could be a problem. Not sure how many marinas have sewers out to the boats. Need to check on where the boat will be kept to see what is available for sewage disposal.
Pumping isn't a problem at the marina. They are installing a pump at every slip. Even if they don't do it, there is a pump at every dock that reaches.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:36 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandEagle View Post
Just out of curiosity, what are you budgeting for that?

And btw you can probably get away with hauling every three years if you are in colder waters.

Scott Welch
Island Eagle
New England waters are pretty cold most of the year. Even with steel can you get away with 3 years or would that be for glass?

I was figuring around 6-8k for a haul out and paint.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:37 PM   #52
Veteran Member

City: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Ms. GG. Mr. westwinds raises valid concerns to which I will add one other. A steel hull is in need of regular zinc maintenance. More so than wood or FRP. You could be looking at a hefty expense to haul and re-zinc on a regular basis. I don't think this is a diver job. The boat has to be hauled. To my understanding the old zincs have to be ground off and new ones welded on. Just one more thing to add to the equation...
If the zincs are going that fast, this might be caused by a hot marina (electrically hot). I would put in an isolation transformer. GG is probably going to convert 60 hertz 115 volt to 50 hertz 230 volts. The converter has a built in isolation transformer so we shall see if zinc replacement is a problem.
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:46 PM   #53

Quote:
If the zincs are going that fast, this might be caused by a hot marina (electrically hot). I would put in an isolation transformer. GG is probably going to convert 60 hertz 115 volt to 50 hertz 230 volts. The converter has a built in isolation transformer so we shall see if zinc replacement is a problem.
How often do zincs normally get replaced?
Old 03-15-2013, 09:48 PM   #54

Quote:
I was figuring around 6-8k for a haul out and paint.
Double that and you're getting a bit more realistic.

Scott Welch
Island Eagle
Old 03-15-2013, 09:50 PM   #55

Quote:
I've said it before, I'll say it again. If your heart is set on a steel boat, get this one:
1967 Sutton / DeFever Pilothouse Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

It's been a few years since I was on it, but the condition then was truly flawless. Plus, it has a layout that can't be beat. 5 real, good sized cabins. And to top it off the owner is meticulous. It was originally build for Harry See of See's Candies.

Scott Welch
Island Eagle
This is the boat that my mom loves. She has been watching it for a while now.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:55 PM   #56

Quote:
You won't find a better boat. This is a sister ship to mine, but this one is steel and mine is wood. It is in incredible condition, literally spotless. I'm sure the owner has spent several million on her. I'd be completely comfortable flying in, filling the tanks, and taking off in her.

Scott Welch
Island Eagle
Old 03-15-2013, 10:02 PM   #57

Quote:
You won't find a better boat. This is a sister ship to mine, but this one is steel and mine is wood. It is in incredible condition, literally spotless. I'm sure the owner has spent several million on her. I'd be completely comfortable flying in, filling the tanks, and taking off in her.

Scott Welch
Island Eagle
Clearly it is a gorgeous boat. Only thing, it is more than I wanted to spend and it looks more like a coastal boat. I feel like the bow isn't high enough and the sides of the hull seem to close to the water for ocean crossing. I feel like it is more like a fishing boat. Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:05 PM   #58

Quote:
Double that and you're getting a bit more realistic.

Scott Welch
Island Eagle
Maybe your right, but I had spoken to a couple boat yards here in NE and that was the price they gave me.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:05 PM   #59
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
This is the first boat on this thread that I really like! it sure meets your requirements!

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:28 PM   #60

Quote:
Maybe your right, but I had spoken to a couple boat yards here in NE and that was the price they gave me.
Here's a little tip: yards ALWAYS underbid. But once the boat is up on the ways, well, they have a little saying: "no cash, no splash".

Scott