Old 03-25-2013, 07:51 PM   #221

City: Toronto & Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Island Eagle
Vessel Model: DeFever
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
Art, How about if I just sit back and you can tell me which boat is good for my family (that you have never met). When you are done picking the boat, because you know us best, I will go buy it and then we will be forever delighted with it
I think that the point that Art is making is that the other boats you have suggested would be unremitting pits of despair and would quickly soak up every penny you have and then some. These ones, while not perfect, would at least be vessels that will have a hope in hell of getting away from the dock without major expenditures.

As always, my standard caveat: make the broker send 100 high-quality pictures taken within the past 30 days. At least 20 have to be from the engine room.

Scott Welch
Island Eagle
IslandEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:01 PM   #222
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Art,
How about if I just sit back and you can tell me which boat is good for my family (that you have never met). When you are done picking the boat, because you know us best, I will go buy it and then we will be forever delighted with it because you said that this is the way it should be
Im so glad to hear that GG...
Simply makes me feel good all over... !!
As always, good luck with your choice

Mine are just IMHO suggestions... for you to dwell upon
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:01 PM   #223
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Do you guys think the Florida Bay Coaster will be okay to make Carribean runs?

Also, the shallow draft 4' 6" should put me back on the ICW?
GG, look at the name. It even has Bay and Coaster in it. It was never designed for passage making. I'm sure I will be corrected if I'm wrong here, but I think one was lost near the Patapsco River on the Chesapeake Bay. No, I would not take it to the Caribbean although some may have.

In my opinion the Defever would be a much better choice for you.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:20 PM   #224
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandEagle View Post
I think that the point that Art is making is that the other boats you have suggested would be unremitting pits of despair and would quickly soak up every penny you have and then some. These ones, while not perfect, would at least be vessels that will have a hope in hell of getting away from the dock without major expenditures.

As always, my standard caveat: make the broker send 100 high-quality pictures taken within the past 30 days. At least 20 have to be from the engine room.

Scott Welch
Island Eagle
Thanks, Scott - you hit the nail on the head!

GG, I mean no offence to you... just hope you can see the picture as it really is; as those with decades marine experience know it is! Like Scott implies... the wrong choice of boat can eat up enough $$$$$ and time/effort to bother even those with more money than God! Maybe you have that much time and money??
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:35 PM   #225
Veteran Member

City: Wisconsin
Quote:
They are representing a 1500 nm range. They are also representing 1500rpm = 10/gallons hr @ 8.5knots with generators on.

I'm uncertain how a gallon a mile, with a 800 gallon tank could equate to 1500nm range. So, to get the 1500nm would you have to run the boat at 5 knots?
I have not made any calculations yet on getting a 1500 nm range for a particular speed, but looking at some of my earlier calculations, I cannot see how this distance adds up. In post 209, Northern Spy says that Jay Benfort, the designer of the 60 Florida Bay Cruiser, is easy to approach. Here is his web site: Benford Design Group so maybe call him and see what he says the range is for this boat. That information could then be used to perhaps get a lower price for the boat. Come to think of it, he might have an idea about what the boat is worth. He could also advise on the statility of this boat and what kind of adverse weather the boat can handle. He also has a book that I think covers this boat: http://www.amazon.com/Cruising-Desig...ds=jay+benford
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:43 AM   #226
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
GG you might check out the write up from the designed on the florida Bay Coasters.

Benford Design Group

I was VERY amazed at the stability of these craft. Like many others that look at their boxiness I thought they might be a tad top heavy, but that seems not to be the case.

The link below is an article spicifically adressing the stability of the Florida Bay Coasters.

http://www.benford.us/pdf/WhatAboutStability.pdf

Pretty impressive!
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:28 AM   #227
Veteran Member

The Benford Design Group web site also has a link to an owners group web site that has a lot of information. The home page has a picture with a broken link so ignore that as the site is still a good one. Florida Bay Coasters
Old 03-26-2013, 08:10 AM   #228
Guru

So much experience. So much good advice. So little learning going on!!! Blah Blah Blah!!!h
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:26 AM   #229
Veteran Member

City: On dry land in NE
I inquired to the cruising capability of the Irony, to the architect Jay and this was his reply.....

Yes. Irony was built in Guatemala and came 1,000 miles across the Caribbean to Florida on her first voyage. The captain who did the trip is a friend of mine and he told me about the horrific gale the went through on the way. He said that the boat did well and no one feared that they would not complete the trip safely. Which they did.
“Nature loves courage. You make the commitment and nature will respond to that commitment by removing impossible obstacles. Dream the impossible dream and the world will not grind you under, it will lift you up"
-Terence McKenna
meatsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:14 AM   #230
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatsea View Post
I inquired to the cruising capability of the Irony, to the architect Jay and this was his reply.....

Yes. Irony was built in Guatemala and came 1,000 miles across the Caribbean to Florida on her first voyage. The captain who did the trip is a friend of mine and he told me about the horrific gale the went through on the way. He said that the boat did well and no one feared that they would not complete the trip safely. Which they did.
The Coaster would make a great dock queen condo, but they sure are ugly. Uglier than the Eagle!

For what its worth, I would buy the Choy Lee over the Defever and the Defever over the Coaster. All three would make a great live aboard, you can get financing if needed, but the Choy Lee has the best potential to cross an ocean and a recognize name for world class yachts.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:51 AM   #231
Veteran Member

Jeez Phil, I think the Eagle is a beautiful vessel, hope you don't let her hear you, you might hurt her feelings.
And for what it is, the Irony is beautiful too, specially as a liveaboard,
now that is comfort, and just for the record, no one is talking bout crossing oceans in her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post
The Coaster would make a great dock queen condo, but they sure are ugly. Uglier than the Eagle!

For what its worth, I would buy the Choy Lee over the Defever and the Defever over the Coaster. All three would make a great live aboard, you can get financing if needed, but the Choy Lee has the best potential to cross an ocean and a recognize name for world class yachts.
“Nature loves courage. You make the commitment and nature will respond to that commitment by removing impossible obstacles. Dream the impossible dream and the world will not grind you under, it will lift you up"
-Terence McKenna
Old 03-26-2013, 11:07 AM   #232
Veteran Member

Now that we have quite a few different brands earmarked in one place,
with the help of many here, we have mucho info...
the proof will be in the pudding as far as what feels right in the gut, upon boarding and sea trials!!!
And as far as Europe goes, I like the idea of shipping it over, less complicated,
less wear & tear, less unknowns.
Feels good to have options.
Let the games begin! Now for the really fun bit,
can't wait to go-see!
-Terence McKenna
Old 03-26-2013, 11:28 AM   #233
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Quote:
Jeez Phil, I think the Eagle is a beautiful vessel, hope you don't let her hear you, you might hurt her feelings.
And for what it is, the Irony is beautiful too, specially as a liveaboard,
now that is comfort, and just for the record, no one is talking bout crossing oceans in her.

The first time I saw her, my wife want to go on her, I said, "Why would you want to go in that old ugly trawler? So to me its will be always my wife's old ugly trawler. Not what I/we had in mind when we first start look for a bigger boat. Bayliner, Searay, Ocean, Tolly anything that had some speed and nice sweeping lines! She knows deep down I love her as she is high maintence and pampered. My wife bought/wanted her as she just felt comfortable and right. Good Female intuition and total changed our life.

I realize you know the Coaster is a live aboard, protect coastal boat, but still ugly. If you go on enough boats, you will know what boat fells right for you.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:33 PM   #234
Guru

City: Szczecin
Vessel Name: Dryade
Vessel Model: Trawler 72
We saw one Florida Bay Coaster 60

In Clearwater Bay HK , clealy she could be a good live aboard boat ...in Marina, river or lake .
But clearly I never want go at sea with this boat.
If someone know the stability curve of this boat or her avs , I am affraid it was not a very hight stabilty.
long-cours.62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:01 PM   #235
Guru

City: Szczecin
Vessel Name: Dryade
Vessel Model: Trawler 72
The maximum stability

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
GG you might check out the write up from the designed on the florida Bay Coasters.

Benford Design Group

I was VERY amazed at the stability of these craft. Like many others that look at their boxiness I thought they might be a tad top heavy, but that seems not to be the case.

The link below is an article spicifically adressing the stability of the Florida Bay Coasters.

http://www.benford.us/pdf/WhatAboutStability.pdf

Pretty impressive!

Of the hull is reached at 25 °... after that the big curve it is the work of the udge volume of superstucture ... if nothing will be floaded before

On this scale arm is in feet ?
How many sqm vindage on the side ?
long-cours.62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:25 PM   #236
Veteran Member

Quote:
They are representing a 1500 nm range. They are also representing 1500rpm = 10/gallons hr @ 8.5knots with generators on.

I'm uncertain how a gallon a mile, with a 800 gallon tank could equate to 1500nm range. So, to get the 1500nm would you have to run the boat at 5 knots?

Sixty foot Florida Bay Coaster with two John Deere 6048TFM50 engines without generators:

No way can I come close to their calculations. If you want me to crunch more numbers I can but I think the following shows someone is way off. Other boats this size get approximately the same fuel consumpiton so I think I am right.

Here are the numbers from my 205 and 217 postings:

I tried to put spaces or tabs in the following table but no luck. Maybe you can cut and paste to word and put tabs in to line it up.

Knots RPM Gallons/Hour Miles/Gallon

9.14 2000 10.4 .88
8.12 1830* 7.6 1.07
7.62 1666** 6.2 1.23
5.0 1100 2.2 2.27

* 45% power
** 38% power

This boat could get even less than the miles per gallon I calculated because it has such a wide beam. Real measurements are what count as my equations assume an average boat, so contact Jay Benford or someone at the users group web site.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:27 PM   #237
Veteran Member

I guess beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I like shippy old boats, not
plastic sleek lines though anyway.
Course I'd cruise on the FBC and island hop with good weather watching.
That said I wouldn't step foot on a big cruiseline ship ever across any body of water, just not my cup a tea those monsters scare me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post

I realize you know the Coaster is a live aboard, protect coastal boat, but still ugly. If you go on enough boats, you will know what boat fells right for you.
-Terence McKenna
Old 03-26-2013, 01:41 PM   #238
Veteran Member

Quote:
... I wouldn't step foot on a big cruiseline ship ever across any body of water, just not my cup a tea those monsters scare me.
Cruise lines have had their problems the last few months what with engine room fires, generators quitting, running aground with loss of life, and intestinal virus problems
Old 03-26-2013, 02:09 PM   #239
Veteran Member

We have been going on about fuel consumption and miles per gallon; however, these calculations do not take into consideration a dirty bottom and propeller that takes more fuel, and current and wind which can increase or decrease fuel use. What's the true miles per gallon? Is there going to be enough fuel? If this device Maretron : Marine Electronic Instruments is used with GPS that shows speed over ground, then a person knows what their true miles per gallon is and whether they can make their chosen port.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:52 PM   #240
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Yes. Irony was built in Guatemala
There is a warning sign, look beyond the curtains GG.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote