Mattress

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rwidman

Guru
My V berth mattresses are killing me.* Not literally, but I sleep on my side and have to keep turning from one side to the other all night because of pressure on my hips.* In the morning I'm stiff and sore and sometimes sore for a day or two.

The mattresses are about 5 1/2" thick and I suspect are the same foam used for seating in other parts of the boat.* I have a 2" "topper" on top, but that hasn't solved the problem.

I have a Tempurpedic mattress at home and I love it but it's much thicker and has a foundation under it, not a hard fiberglass shelf.

Would replacing the foam in my existing cushions with something else solve my problem or would I need more thickness?* I know there are companies that make boat mattresses but the websites don't provide a lot of information.* I haven't called any yet.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Old Stone wrote:
Ron -Sleep on your back!
*But what if Ron snores?

We bought a Temperpedic wannabe (much less $$) last year and it is very comfy. Ours is an island queen, but at what we paid I would not hesitate to cut it if I had to to a V berth configuration.

we did the 3" memory foam topper over the multiple cushion thing for a few seasons - and it made for back trouble - just didnt seem to bridge the cushion seams well and/or the density of the cushions was not right.

So I found a medium density 'mattress' foam on ebay - king size was the right size and 4" was the right thickness and now have a one piece 'mattress' and a one piece topper.

Total thickness 7" and is just as comfy as the home mattress.

Incidentally, the use of 'mattress' foam as a bed mattress is a trick we learned from some friends who ran a B & B. We visited them once and raved about the bed, and they explained it.

It is important to spec 'mattress' foam and determine the density that you prefer. Putting a memory foam topper over it makes going to sleep something to look forward to.

good luck

rwidman wrote:
...... I sleep on my side and have to keep turning from one side to the other all night because of pressure on my hips.* In the morning I'm stiff and sore and sometimes sore for a day or two.

Attachments

• mattress.jpg
    mattress.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 100
SeaHorse II wrote:rwidman wrote:
...... I sleep on my side and have to keep turning from one side to the other all night because of pressure on my hips.* In the morning I'm stiff and sore and sometimes sore for a day or two.
*I have to go with Seahorse on this one. *While over-nighting in a PDQ 34 powercat about two years ago, I slept on a too-thin mattress that actually took me nearly a year to get over. *I'm also a side sleeper. *On Bucky, we now have a custom made innerspring mattress with a foam topper, and I'd rather sleep on the boat than anywhere. *If you're going to spend money anywhere on your boat, a priority cost is a good night sleep. *Great electronics and fantastic handling mean nothing when you're tired and sore, not to mention crawling around down in the hold.

Attachments

• dscn4434.jpg
    dscn4434.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 76
  • dscn4435.jpg
    dscn4435.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 91
  • dscn4436.jpg
    dscn4436.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 85
If you have an Ikea nearby, take a look at their "memory foam" selection of mattresses. They have different densities so you might find one that works for you. Adequate quality to last a while, but inexpensive enough to customize the shape with an electric knife.

On Hobo (and our last boat) we have a custom 100% latex mattress.* We replaced a custom intersrping mattress that was warn out.* We do like the*latex better.* The latex comes in degrees of firmness.* We liked the firm the best.

We replaced the old 3 inch foam mattress with a 12 inch foam mattress from Sam's club.* It's 8 inches of firm and 4 inches of memory foam.* It was 400 bucks for queen size.* We have a island/centerline queen, so this works well - just had to round off the corners.

Before we bought it, I had some email conversations with some custom innerspring folks in Florida.* The custom made was going to be minimum of 1500.00.*

The Sam's club mattress has done well for us.* We're on the boat about every weekend.* It was 400 bucks well spent when all we wanted to do was get our own new mattress - before we knew how much time we'd spend on the boat.

For our new galley cushions and flybridge cushions, we bought foam at the Mill Outlet Village in Raleigh NC.* They have several varieties of foam in several thicknesses and firmnesses.

With that being said...since we've now owned the boat for 2 years, I now understand that all boat things must cost at least 1000 boat units.* So in the next year we'll probably get the custom job with the folding seam in the center.* :)

(sorry...Tom just explained 1 boat unit is 1k bucks.* The point still stands though)

-- Edited by Besslb on Wednesday 8th of June 2011 05:27:06 PM

I sprung (pun intended) for a custom Handcraft mattress years ago and still think it was one of the best boat investments ever, especially since I live aboard. http://www.hmcwest.com/index.html

It got soaking wet with rain water once...I just propped it out on the aft deck for 3-4 days to dry, and it's been fine ever since. No mildew or other signs that anything ever happened.

Old Stone wrote:
Ron -Sleep on your back! I have the same problem if I try my sides. Stiff as can be after lying sideways. Is it an age thing?

It's an age thing.* If I try to sleep on my back, my lower back hurts unless I put pillows under my knees.* And I've been told I snore.

I don't think 12" is going to work real well. I was hoping for replacement foam for the existing covers. If not that, I think I have to stop at 3" more so I can get in and still have room to move around. It's not as big and most trawlers.

Forgetting springs, I see laytex foam and I see memory foam. And different densities. I would either have to by a custom set or cut two "double" size mattresses down to size. And I have to deal with a slant on the hull sides so the thicker the mattress, the bigger it is on one side only.

Back
Top Bottom