Old 06-02-2011, 03:37 AM   #1
FF
Guru

NOT a trawler?

Many folks think a "trawler" is the only way to go for inshore cruising.

Since not one in a thousand could actually make an ocean crossing , why folks stick with the "trawler" name is beyond me.

A different* choice , especially as most folks desire maximum room , and are willing to accept less seaworthy vessels to get it is the Euro Canal Boat.

*( http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boa...ers-11316.html)

Is a discussion of modern efforts with many plans and photos of what the Euros are building these days.

Food for thought?

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:18 AM   #2
dvd

City: California Bay Area
Vessel Name: BOOSTER
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
RE: NOT a trawler?

We have chartered canal boats (Penichettes) in both Ireland on the Shannon-Erne waterway and France on the Canal du Midi and have found them very comfortable accommodations. These were, obviously, protected waterways, but people do venture out on to the Mediterranean in the south of France in these boats/barges. I even considered importing one as an "intracoastal" cruiser, but the logistics were more than I wanted to deal with. Seems to me this style would go over well on the East Coast of the US where the boating is primarily on protected waters or under select condition if going into the Atlantic.

DVD
Attached Thumbnails
midi.jpg   ireland.jpg  
dvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:44 AM   #3
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t

Quote:
dvd wrote:
We have chartered canal boats (Penichettes) in both Ireland on the Shannon-Erne waterway and France on the Canal du Midi and have found them very comfortable accommodations. These were, obviously, protected waterways, but people do venture out on to the Mediterranean in the south of France in these boats/barges. I even considered importing one as an "intracoastal" cruiser, but the logistics were more than I wanted to deal with. Seems to me this style would go over well on the East Coast of the US where the boating is primarily on protected waters or under select condition if going into the Atlantic.

DVD
*Your first picture could have been the Dismal Swamp here in NC.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:19 AM   #4
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Except for the boat. I think we ought to breed a trawler w a canal barge. Something like my Willy whereas the bow looked much more like the stern. Very round and full bows and 100% full disp sterns. That's what I would want if I were to be buying a new trawler.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:20 AM   #5
dvd

City: California Bay Area
Vessel Name: BOOSTER
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
NOT a trawler?

That's the Canal du Midi. Where you might notice the difference is in the local wine*

BTW, recently read an entertaining book about a couple (& dog) taking their English Narrowboat down the ICW. It's Narrow Dog to Indian River by Terry Darlington.

DVD

-- Edited by dvd on Thursday 2nd of June 2011 12:12:58 PM
dvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:10 AM   #6
JD
Guru

Quote:
dvd wrote:That's the Canal du Midi. Where you might notice the difference is in the local wine* DVD
*Are you inferring that NC wine isn't good?* I'll have you know that the wine on Stella Di Mare is*nothing but*good.* True it all comes from CA or Italy but when we are in the Swamp we do have good wine on board*as well.* But it didn't come from*with in*walking distance.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:33 PM   #7
Guru

City: Missourah
Vessel Name: M/V Scout
Vessel Model: Sundowner Tug 30'

"Something like my Willy whereas the bow looked much more like the stern. Very round and full bows and 100% full disp sterns. That's what I would want if I were to be buying a new trawler."

I have a hard enough time figuring out whether I'm coming or going..
Anode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:54 AM   #8
FF
Guru

"We didn't name the vessels types, we just enjoy them."

What folks will PAY for decides what gets built, what its called is a marketing decision.

Its more PC to be "Captain " of a trawler than a motor yacht , or sport fish boat.

It also allows the unknowledgable to dream of far off places.

My point is for many folks the "trawler" which for most is just a cabin choice on a hull , not a vessel built for long distance ocean voyaging , might not be the best choice for someone that wants to go cruising.

The canal boats would be a good choice for many as the hull and drive package is better suited to displacement cruising.

And the low design equals little waiting for bridges

Motor yachts are frequently even bigger roomarans than trawlers and can have superior living areas , and at 3 stories tall are cheap to keep in a slip , per sq ft of living area.

Fish killers would make great cruisers for the Bahamas on to south Carib folks as they frequently are good (but very limited range) ocean cruisers. But few are roomarains.

My point is "Trawler" these days is nothing more than a "look".Not a level of performance or a statement of abilities.

And "fast trawler" is the biggest joke on the dock.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:04 AM   #9

City: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Model: I have keys to lots of boats...

FF your are right, it is the "THE LOOK" of the boat. The term trawler has evolved from vessels that were used to commercially catch fish, to commercial looking pleasure boats.
Since no commercial fisherman would use their Nordhavn, Krogen or Mainship to trawl for fish these days, the term does not have to apply to a displacement boat, it can still have the "look" but go fast.
Fred'd real distiction should be "offshore" trawlers which are rare and expensive and coastal trawlers which is all that many boaters will ever need.
yachtbrokerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:39 PM   #10
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36

When I was in Marina Jack in Sarasota last year there was a steel vessel much like the European, canal boats it was built by Amazon Boat company in the USA!

check it out here, really nice looking job!

http://www.amazonboatcompany.com/

Steve W.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:00 PM   #11
JD
Guru

Quote:
Steve wrote:
When I was in Marina Jack in Sarasota last year there was a steel vessel much like the European, canal boats it was built by Amazon Boat company in the USA!

Steve W.
*That's a beautiful boat for sure.* They say she is for sale but don't do much of a job on marketing it.* How many engines, one I'm sure but what size and it seems to be a Cummins.* No price, how do I get my wife to work overtime if she doesn't know how much she needs to make.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:43 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

I like it! If I win the Lottery tomorrow it, and a batch of others, are on my potential "fleet" list.
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:50 PM   #13
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36

"They say she is for sale but don't do much of a job on marketing it."

Right!

I find it strange how often folks have something they would like to sell but rather than "selling" it seems they just expect someone to show up out of the blue to buy it from them.
Steve W
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:30 PM   #14
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34

Having just come off a typical British Canal Boat I would not want to take that design to sea, for sure, but that Amazon design looks much more an all-rounder. Thanks to some helpful tips from Marin, our narrowboat adventure was extremely enjoyable. At 4 kn max one can certainly "focus on the scenery", (as my mother used to say when complaining I was driving too fast). I would not have liked to take her on with just the very brief intro video we were shown before departure as sole training in the use of, so thanks again Marin.
A few pics. Lovely countryside. Going through locks and dark mile plus long tunnels is 'different'.
Attached Thumbnails
image034.jpg   image029.jpg   image022.jpg   image021.jpg  
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:36 PM   #15
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Steve wrote:

Steve W.
*Nice looking boat. *Seems ideal for the canal system in Europe, although perhaps not ideal to get there in the first place. *Very pretty.
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:28 PM   #16
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
Delfin wrote:
*Nice looking boat. *Seems ideal for the canal system in Europe, although perhaps not ideal to get there in the first place. *Very pretty.
How would a following or quatering*sea affect that large overhang on the fantail?
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:54 PM   #17
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
NOT a trawler?

Quote:
Steve wrote:

True. *It reminds my Admiral and I of our loops of NE Germany (the old GDR) in rental Trawlers. *Here's a few shots of the kind of boats common to those areas. *Great for space per ft., but they are pretty flat and when you get hit with a side wind coming out of some of those locks, you'd better be ready with the bow thruster! *There's no time or space to redirect the vessel with the rudder, and many boats, like our rentals, had hydraulic bow thrusters that really made the boat jump, and with no danger of throwing a circuit breaker. *The larger version of our rental, a 47 ft. unit built in Poland, had a Nanni-Peachment Hydraulic main drive as well. *You could pull the throttle from full forward to full reverse without hesitation. *

-- Edited by healhustler on Monday 6th of June 2011 05:20:28 PM
Attached Thumbnails
antaris 26.jpg   boat colage.jpg   beauty on lake.jpg   canal max.jpg   holander diesel.jpg  

low bridge.jpg   colage 2.jpg  
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:09 PM   #18
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

I like the looks of that amazon boat but they sure do need to improve their marketing!!!!
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote