Old 08-17-2015, 10:35 AM   #21
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Most of the issues with electronic controls these days seem to come from poor or improper installations.
...never saw hydraulic, pneumatic or any cable controls for the last 50 years on spacecraft..or is the direction for aircraft in general...

do it right long enough..it's fine...

Of course cable is good enough for my lawnmower..and my 2 station Lehman..but in many cases just not practical and electronic done right hasn't been a real issue for tens of thousands of vessels and aircraft for decades.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:49 AM   #22
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Hmmm. I knew there was a reason I bought an old boat. I've got my problems but I'd rather have ones I can understand in favor of the ones inside some black box.
+1

http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:52 AM   #23
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
We do not have multi power source selector, yet. Will look into it. Also I was assured by James Knight and others that these are pretty dang reliable and good controls. Yes stuff happens, but we got to move on.

The Micro Processor ended up being bad. James said it's very rare this happens and has never had to replace on in the 100's of nordhavns he's worked on. He said most of the time it's the control head.

So the mechanic replaced the micro processor, and also the FB control head since he brought one along. We may replace the lower control head too to make them both up to date.

Now if this happens again they're getting torn out and a nice set of Kobelts or Twin Disc put in.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:59 AM   #24
Veteran Member

City: Islamorada, FL
Vessel Name: Panacea
Vessel Model: Marine Builders, Voyager 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
We do not have multi power source selector, yet. Will look into it. Also I was assured by James Knight and others that these are pretty dang reliable and good controls. Yes stuff happens, but we got to move on.

The Micro Processor ended up being bad. James said it's very rare this happens and has never had to replace on in the 100's of nordhavns he's worked on. He said most of the time it's the control head.

So the mechanic replaced the micro processor, and also the FB control head since he brought one along. We may replace the lower control head too to make them both up to date.

Now if this happens again they're getting torn out and a nice set of Kobelts or Twin Disc put in.
Glad you got it resolved! From what I've read, the multi power source selector is very highly recommended. And for what $200 its a no-brainer.

My wife and I are huge Deadliest Catch fans. Over the years we've noticed their controls switching from mostly Kobelt pneumatic to Mathers MicroCommanders. That has to say something since being dead in the water in the Bering Sea is "not so great".
Panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:01 AM   #25

City: Miami
We have them on our boat and knock on wood have had no problems but we do have the automatic power selector or APS installed. The audio error codes actually helped pinpoint a slipping alternator belt when throttling down once below 1250 rpm. One thing Iím not too crazy about are the deutsch connectors. My davit contoller also uses these and they are less than optimum. Periodic cleaning and assembly with dielectric seems to keep them going though. Oliver was the manual I sent of any help?

Via iPhone.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:35 AM   #26
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panacea View Post
Glad you got it resolved! From what I've read, the multi power source selector is very highly recommended. And for what $200 its a no-brainer.

My wife and I are huge Deadliest Catch fans. Over the years we've noticed their controls switching from mostly Kobelt pneumatic to Mathers MicroCommanders. That has to say something since being dead in the water in the Bering Sea is "not so great".

Just looked them up NewMar makes one for 86 bucks, that's definitely a no brainer. Going to order one when we get home and install it.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 03:14 PM   #27

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Shallow Minded
Vessel Model: Shoal Cat
Thanks to all who responded to this thread. MMCs have bugged me for a number of years. I'd prefer to think its because they are less reliable than the older tech controls I grew up on. (In other words, I prefer to think it's not because I'm old-tech)!

My take-away here is that MMCs are really fussy about voltage supply, but that there are ways around that if you spend some extra dough. My sense is also that Kobelt and other brands may be a cut above MMC, though more due diligence would be required before putting any money down on that assertion.

If everything else about a boat was right but it had MMCs already installed, I guess I'd live with them, but warily. At the first provocation, I'd throw 'em overboard and replace - with exactly what, I'm unsure.

It's true that things go wrong with cables, air, or hydraulic controls. But an experienced operator can often sense that something's not right before it fails. And fixing hardware that you can see is less mysterious than changing a component and hoping that does the trick.

There's a reason why boats haven't changed a lot over the centuries, and we mariners tend to be skeptical of anything new. Discovering what works at sea is a process, and we stand on the shoulders of generations of mariners who came before us learning hard lessons. For some reason that's part of what I like about boats and boating.

Blissboat is offline   Reply With Quote