Masts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
May be a stupid question, but why do trawlers have masts?

There can be several reasons. Commonly a mast and boom are used as a dinghy hoist, a mounting for radar or antennas, and rarely as a place to rig a steadying sail.

On a previous boat we added a mast to mount the radar and various antennas. We didn’t use it for a hoist but it was great for antennas. We bought a damaged spinnaker pole and had brackets made to mount it.

Mine is mainly for the paravane stabilizers. Also has the radar dome near the top, and the white anchor light on top. The boom is used to lift the dinghy to its cradle.

There can be several reasons. Commonly a mast and boom are used as a dinghy hoist, a mounting for radar or antennas, and rarely as a place to rig a steadying sail.

Or sails.

Attachments

• DSC02700-1.jpg
    DSC02700-1.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 58
For mounting:

Radar.

Anchor light.

Burgees and flags

Appearance. Took mine off when I bought a boathouse along with the paravane poles for height reduction.

After one year without the mast, hollowed the mast for weight reduction, hinged it and put it back on because the boat just didn't look right without it.

Sailing a trawler? Now that's new to me! But it all seems new to me.

More for steadying, as in anti-roll (or at least slightly less roll)... not usually all that much for propulsion.

-Chris

My mast is used for (in order of priority)

1. Roll reduction when sails are raised
2. Engine speed reduction when motor sailing
3. Noise reduction when sailing without engine
4. Lifting boom for dinghy
4. Emergency propulsion when engine fails

And yours is an actual motor sailer, yes? Not just a trawler with a mast?

The first new boat we almost bought was a 37' motor sailer... Northeast 37 by Mark (Ellis?) if I remember right... very attractive...

-Chris

Attachments

• DSC01225.jpg
    DSC01225.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 51
THIS is one of the better reasons to have a mast.

Yep, I agree. Those landing lights for that UFO are definitely a must. :lol:

Seriously though, I assume you're referring to the flag staff.

That there is phunny, I don't care who you are.:)

Betcha can't find many boats out there with a true seaman-like gaff at the truck for flying the national flag.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom