Old 08-22-2012, 10:25 AM   #21
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
Sometimes drying takes as long as it takes.

Time, temperature and humidity.

There are drying agents.

Dark colors dry faster. White takes the longest.

SD

Old 08-22-2012, 10:59 AM   #22

City: Spring Lake
I have worked as a shipwright for many years, painted, sanded and build a great many boat molds. So sanding and painting a simple trawler mast and boom is and should not be rocket science. Although I have been away from boat chemicals for many years and thus have to rely on the suggestion of supposed informed sale personnel which turning out to be a mistake.
I should have stuck with my old methods and formulas for painting.
The gel coat on the mast and boom was chalking pretty badly and I was going to just simply sand it down and refinish. That turned out not to be simple.
Sorry to vent, there won't be any more.

sunvale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:04 AM   #23
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Was it two part paint? If not mixed correctly 2 parts can take a long time and not get the results. I will never use two part paint if there is a one part just as good. The only two part I use is Epoxy which is sanded and painted over. I paint/varnish is late July, August and early September when the times are 70+ and the boat is bone dry. No use painting in cold temps and/or the boat is wet/moist.

The Eagle boom, aluminum, has been pained for 12+ years with one part Bright Side and it has not bubbled. 95% of the result is the prep work, not the top gloss pretty coat. If you watch a professional boat painter itís the prep and primer that covers/protects, not the final gloss coat. Most newbee, dirt paint thinking ONE coat covers all.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:23 AM   #24

[QUOTE=Phil Fill;99901]Was it two part paint? If not mixed correctly 2 parts can take a long time and not get the results. I will never use two part paint if there is a one part just as good.

I used Interlux one part paint. My original intend was to use an automotive paint process. paint holds up on cars for years and I suspect a mast made of fiber glass is not much different.
I painted an entire hull on a 32 Erikson with Imron paint and it is still in good shape after 11 years.
I should have stay'd with my first intention.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:20 PM   #25
Guru

Re the discussion on repainting aluminum (I`m aware Sunvale`s mast is f/g), guys at the boatyard told me to prime immediately after sanding back bare, before the surface starts to oxidise again. I thought I got that right with my windlass cover,seems I didn`t,corrosion is evident under the 2 pack, it has to be stripped and redone.BruceK
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:03 PM   #26
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Re the discussion on repainting aluminum (I`m aware Sunvale`s mast is f/g), guys at the boatyard told me to prime immediately after sanding back bare, before the surface starts to oxidise again. I thought I got that right with my windlass cover,seems I didn`t,corrosion is evident under the 2 pack, it has to be stripped and redone.BruceK

It certainly is in the first step of corrosion...oxidation....which forms it's own protective barrier so it actually arrests corrosion...so other than the ugly paint job now...it has probably stopped any further corrosion.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:26 AM   #27

2 days of drying and I can leave finger prints on the primer. looks like this stuff is going back to the dealer as well.
Going to let it cure one more day and than strip it as well. Going to go Gel Coat and do the sanding.
Although I might just take some advise from a previous post and not use the mast at all. Just don't know what to do with the radar can.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:38 PM   #28
FF
Guru

"Leaving exposed aluminum on a mast if the boat is going anywhere near salt water is a very bad idea. That's why mast manufacturers anodize them."

Visited a number of mast MFG when a builder, and darn few have the ability to anodize a spreader , never mind a mast.

An interesting concept is that many mast MFG that leave the aluminum , and not sucker a paint job , will coat the mast with the oil that is used on cement forms to assure seperation.

This forma a seal , but does not capture moisture below the paint surface if scratched.

Clear and cheap.

Stock cookie sail boats became popular in the 1970's, most with bare spars , most still exist today.

FF
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:22 PM   #29

Automotive paint is next. Featherlight primer, a sealer and Imron paint. I'll post a report when done. Thanks for all your suggestions
Old 08-24-2012, 06:49 PM   #30
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunvale View Post
Went to West Marine and purchased upon recommendation some paint and primer for the mast. After reading the cans label I returned the stuff cause it was not intended to be used on a Mast, (bright work).
Received some new stuff and coated the mast and boom with a coat of primer.
20 hours later the stuff will still stick to my fingers. According to the label it should be dry after 15 hours.
Something tells me that if a person wants some advise on boat paint, don't ask any self designated experts in the field.
Last time I shop at West Marine....
If the label says it should be dry after 15 hours and it's not dry after 20 hours, how is that the fault of the person at West Marine? Seriously?

Either the paint is defective or you didn't apply it according to the manufacturer's instructions. I'm betting on the latter, but why not call the manufacturer and ask for their help and advice?
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:54 PM   #31
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunvale;99906[SIZE=3
. My original intend was to use an automotive paint process. paint holds up on cars for years and I suspect a mast made of fiber glass is not much different.[/SIZE]
Most cars don't get the exposure to salt spray that a boat mast gets. Many cars don't get the sunlight exposure either as they are shaded by garages buildings, trees, etc. much of the time.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:42 PM   #32
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Most cars don't get the exposure to salt spray that a boat mast gets. Many cars don't get the sunlight exposure either as they are shaded by garages buildings, trees, etc. much of the time.
In the Northeast...there's plenty of salt derivatives applied to snowy/icy roads that makes a season of saltwater boating look like freshwater cruisin' for what my truck sees.

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast, paint