Marriage Savers...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had a set of Eartec Simultalk 24g headsets. Recently, lost the Master unit, it went kerplunk and straight to the bottom. Anybody need a great deal on a case, charger, a remote unit with headset and a spare headset. Spare parts? We have since purchased the new Eartec units, a little more bulky but no wires and they work well.

What is wrong with just calling each other within the us? We are both sporting $800 smart phones which Bluetooth to nice headsets $30 which seems like a cost effective plan. I can’t pry my wife’s iPhone out of her hand so why not use it.

Never even thought about it! However, it took us 25 months to pay off our smart phones through AT&T and now that we own them, I wouldn't want them to end up at the bottom of the bay. We try to keep them locked in compartments when we are out on the boat.

Sena SPH10s - love them. Often use them for phone calls and listening to music while working in engine room.

Never even thought about it! However, it took us 25 months to pay off our smart phones through AT&T and now that we own them, I wouldn't want them to end up at the bottom of the bay. We try to keep them locked in compartments when we are out on the boat.

If you use a Bluetooth ear bud or headset paired to each phone... no need to put the phones themselves at risk.

But you're still at the mercy of cellphone coverage; if you've got it, good, if you don't, not so good.

-Chris

Good point that your cell phones can just stay inside once the call is started so you are really just risking $30 headsets.

If using your smartphone for this purpose, I would do as Tobyyost (see post #20). He uses an app that connects phones via wifi/hotspot eliminating the need for any signal.

That said, my wife and I are very impressed with our Sena's. We bought them for the boat, and what great improvement they are over shouting back and fourth. We also use them for cycling which makes our rides more enjoyable and faster. Our average speed has increased by close to 1MPH since the Sena's. Don't know how, but it has.

Last edited:
Marriage Savers

The only thing I can add here is that 'marriage savers' are, I believe, a generic name for a communication device which allows 2, or more, individuals to converse at normal tones and volume with each other while being in different parts of the boat.

We purchased ours at the Annapolis Boat Show, forget which 1, but I wish we had gotten them sooner, they are quite a great addition to the safety items we have onboard.

These items allow us to converse while driving the boat, we do so exclusively from the bridge, when 1 of us leaves for any reason.

I have used them from the engine room while dealing with a problem when underway, while my wife drove up the coast of NJ.

I have not experienced any lag time in communications, nor any extraneous noise while using them. I also wear hearing aids and they do not interfere with their use.

We have the SENA Bluetooth which are light, no additional items other than the headset itself and easy to use.

Also, and an import issue, support is a phone call away. I have called a few times and the phone was answered immediately and answers were provided immediately.

Additionally, there is a company called Cruising Solutions which sells the product and provides great support.

I also believe, IF you are a member of the AGLCA (American Great Loop Cruisers Association) there is a discount available.

For those with the UltraLites.

We had the older EarTecs with the receive box on the waistband. But the receiver kept falling off as my wife walked the dock untying and tying, so eventually stopped working.

We went with the EarTec Ultralites and love them. Just the headset with everything integrated.

Still she is concerned about the headset falling off and hitting the dock or, worse, the water. So just today I called Scott Freely over at EarTeac and asked if they had a solution. And they do, but they don't have the product on their web site yet. He told me that they have lanyards made especially for the UltraLites. I ordered two lanyards, $24 shipped today as well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom