Markel American Marine Insurance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Al W

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Kindred Spirit
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 39
Just got a reasonable quote on my trawler by Markel Marine. This is the marine division of Markel American Insurance Company.
I will be going to the Bahamas this winter and they are including that cruising area.
My question is has anyone done business with this Co and are they any good? A+ rating but that is what they say.
Thanks
Al
Kindred Spirit
Mariner 38

Yes, top rate in my book. Paid a claim quickly and 100% when a very stupid captain ran Bay Pelican aground.

I used them for 10 years with no problems, but no claims either. They always took my money right on time.

I used them for a long time on multiple boats. I switched to a different insurer after Markel began requiring "professional winterization" of all systems on the boat.

I used them for about 10 years . Never had any claims but found better rate at ACE.

Had a grounding incident last year. Grounding was on a Wed, boat was hauled on Thurs, estimates were prepared and submitted on Fri, check was cut on Mon and in my hands on Tues. Outstanding company with exception service.

To the two of you with claims, Bay Pelican and Tomas, how did those claims impact your rates afterwards, if at all?

To the two of you with claims, Bay Pelican and Tomas, how did those claims impact your rates afterwards, if at all?

It was my first and only claim. Did not seem to impact my rates. Now of course 8 years later it is not even reported.

Good to know from both of you that rates weren't materially impacted. On auto insurance it's become so common for just one claim to increase the rate significantly.

We had a claim and it did not affect our insurance with that carrier. We changed navigation limits and applied with other underwriters. One of the questions on the applications, "have you had any claims in the last 5 years"?. That was when we felt the impact.

We had a claim and it did not affect our insurance with that carrier. We changed navigation limits and applied with other underwriters. One of the questions on the applications, "have you had any claims in the last 5 years"?. That was when we felt the impact.

Oh yes...how ugly and how common.

Back
Top Bottom