Maritime School Grads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wayfarer

Guru
Vessel Name
Sylphide
Vessel Make
Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
Hello all,

I was reading through Oliver's Navy thread, and noticed a few of you were maritime school grads. I didn't want to hijack the thread, but I am curious as to how many of you went to Maritime schools.

I'm a SUNY / Fort Schuyler guy. Marine Transportation / Deck, class of '06.

You?

Son is a Maine Maritime Academy grad. Tugs and barges now. Earning more than I ever did practicing small town law.

started off Kings Point Class of 2003 and it wasn't the right fit for me so I transferred to Maine Maritime Academy major Marine transportation

USNA class of 74. Left after first year though because it just wasn't right for me.

My son is a graduate of the California Maritime Academy, class of 1995 and made chief engineer before he was thirty.

Calhoon MEBA, class of '83 here. I'm due for license renewal now, I think this will be my sixth or seventh renew as Chief Engineer. :dance:

Most of the rest of my family went to that lessor #2 school, Maine Maritime, LOL :lol:

Not a maritime academy, but: University of Michigan Department of Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering. Class of '87 (1987, not 1887 :socool: )

I went to school with a few guys who transferred from maritime academies and also worked with a few. Good schools, from what I could tell.

My brother went to Maine Maritime. My parents wanted me to go, but I went another route. My brother was recently promoted to Captian on a drilling ship.

Thread Bump -

Hello - We are heading to NY for my high school junior son to visit both SUNY and Webb Institute in Oct. Would love to hear some feedback on either school from the trawler forum folks. Will also go by King's Pt but not sure if will do an official tour yet.

Anything local around the schools we should check out?

We are in TX so Maritime Academy at A&M Galveston is already top of the list too. He plans to do engineering vs.deck, so either way he'll be out earning the old man few years out of the gate :thumb:

Here are the MARAD listed Maritime Academies in the US.

They are:
US Merchant Marine Academy
California Maritime Academy
Great Lakes Maritime Academy
Maine Maritime Academy
Massachusetts Maritime Academy
SUNY Maritime Academy
Texas A&M Maritime Academy

Here's my knowledge of them.

US Merchant Marine-long considered excellent

California Maritime Academy. I employee a young engineer who went there. Very impressed and she loved the school.

Great Lakes-No knowledge

Maine-Know a few who went there. Consider it very good.

Massachusetts Maritime Academy-I employee an engineer who went there and will argue with anyone it's the best.

SUNY-I've talked to captains who went there and were happy with it.

Texas A&M-I asked the above mentioned engineers and they both hold it in high regards. It also has direct commissioning programs for the Coast Guard.

Note that all of these schools have close relationships with the military but none require it. They also run much like military schools to build the skills and discipline.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. The Cal Maritime Grad I mentioned above went to the University of New Orleans School of Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering for graduate school. However, she noted that while it was great that their undergraduate program was less intensive, less hands on and more theoretical. Also because it's not MARAD you don't get an immediate license upon graduation. (3rd Assistant Engineer).

The MARAD schools typically have their own training boats plus require you to train on commercial or military vessels.

Your son should also look at the specific programs and degrees to see which ones fit his interests best. There are programs designed for facility rather than boat preparation, those emphasizing naval architecture over mechanical and electrical skills,

Best of luck to him.

There are those who will attempt to dissuade him and say you learn by hands on, not schools, and he'd be as well off going to a maritime school, not college and working at a yard or something. I will agree some have, but argue strongly if one wants a strong career as a professional engineer, go to one of the Academies mentioned above. I've seen the difference.

Calhoun MEBA '83

But these days it is only refresh and upgrade, cadet program disbanded years ago.

I was the oddball (nothing new there, lol) everybody else in my family went to Maine Maritime.

CMA, 87' - Engineer. Did a short stint on tankers, but shore side the past 30 years in a field that has nothing to do with ships or engines.

A great experience that I will always be thankful for.

BandB - thanks for the detailed response

He's been researching the programs for a quite a while and found similar info from your post.

SUNY is on our list as they are one of the few schools that offer a an electrical engineering degree with the licensure, while all the others offer a marine engineering technology degree. If he goes the MET route will most likely stay closer to home (and in-state tuition!) at Galveston.

Webb is a more unique degree program (engineering and naval architecture) that if he could get into would be fantastic and he could get license after grad if he wanted.

My son started as a DD in the Oil Patch but soon found out the real bucks were out on the briny sea. Months at sea, (the longest, nine months with MSC) but the money is worth it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom