Marine upholstery fabric choices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sunbrella now has a broader line of fabrics including stuff more suitable for interior furniture. I know a couple of people who are very happy with it.

Yes, we redid the salon a couple of years ago with Sunbrella. The fabric basically looks like what I am told Grand Banks uses - kind of a tweedy tight weave. Expensive, but seems pretty tough.

Went with Sunbrella fabric in our interior refit. The non porous vinyls, Naugahyde, etc. all look great, but were a non-starter for us. Sticking to the upholstery when it's warm doesn't work.

Sunbrella would be great but we never found that the UltraLeather was sticky like vinyl fabrics. It is also easier to clean that fabric.

Not saying that UltraLeather is a better choice than Sunbrella, but just sharing my experience with it. I would assume that Ultrasuede would be the same.

So my challenge is choice.

My boat has vinyl now. I do not know the brand, or the grade. The stuff in the pilothouse is much thicker, or to me harder than the stuff in the salon, which is very soft.

I do not have a problem with the vinyl feeling sticky in the heat, probably because it doesn't get all that hot here.

Everyone seems to love their Sunbrella upholstery fabric. Everybody seems to love their ultraleather. Everybody seems to love their Naugasoft. All for great reasons.

If vinyl will hold up to the abuse, I'm pretty sure it will be easier to clean spills off of it. It will also not absorb water from a wet dog laying on it.

Sunbrella on the other hand might be easier to sew, and is some pretty tough stuff. Part of the challenge is for me that I have zero upholstery fabrics anywhere in my life. My furniture at home is all leather, or bare wood. Even my truck seats are sheepskin so I have no history with fabric.

What I think I'll do is try the Naugasoft. I'll re-do the helm seat and the pilothouse seating. This will be a fairly simple first upholstery project. The Naugasoft is not a huge investment, and labor is free so if it does not work out I can just choose something different.

Thanks for everyone that provided their input!!!

Kevin, is it possible that the PH material is harder due to increased aging related to sun exposure?

I think your idea of trying something out on one seat is a great idea. The other thing you could try would be to get some small pieces of the different covering and cover some cushions in the boat with it. Live with those cushions for a bit. Maybe sew up a couple dog beds and let the dog do the testing for you?

Kevin, is it possible that the PH material is harder due to increased aging related to sun exposure?

I think your idea of trying something out on one seat is a great idea. The other thing you could try would be to get some small pieces of the different covering and cover some cushions in the boat with it. Live with those cushions for a bit. Maybe sew up a couple dog beds and let the dog do the testing for you?

Thats an idea!!

What I might do is to start in the pilothouse as planned, since the seats are worn. My helm seat is really bad, and it is the driver for the project.

In the salon, where the seats are perfect still I might make some removable fabric seat covers. Something fitted nicely with elastic at the bottom to pull it tight. Then I would be able to just throw them in the washer.

The stuff in the pilothouse might just be "sun hard" I'm not sure, you might be right there.

I havent looked at what type of foam was used, but the foam on my flybridge cushions is as hard as concrete from the sun? Something at least.

I am looking to replace our lovely dark green settee cushion covers. We only have settees, so we 'lounge' on them much of the time when in the salon. Especially in the evenings when at the dock watching TV or a movie etc. We are looking for some fabric that will hold up well and look good. From the information I've seen, I think Sunbrella is the way we want to go.
Thanks for the discussion.

Wm Mayberry
OPTIMYSTIQUE
Mariner 40

Keith

We'll be at the Ganges Marina docks on Monday afternoon. Our Sunbrella interior cushions have held up very well, call and come have a look.

Tom

Thanks for the invitation. We were up in Silva Bay until Monday afternoon, came back so we can go on an excursion with our North Beach neighbours today, so will miss out on the chance to drop by. Another time though......

Kevin
Test samples would be a good idea... also pay attention to if / how the walking foot deals with the smooth vinyl surface.
I haven't done a lot of sewing w/ vinyls mostly woven fabrics like Sunbrella.

I have seen / read about special feet for leather as the sharp ridges on the std foor have a tendency to leave marks... I'm thinking maybe a piece of masking or duct tape over them would work as well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom