Old 09-03-2017, 09:40 AM   #21
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
We used Sunbrella and Sunbrella type upholstery fabrics extensively throughout our Hatteras 56MY. Ann loved it and it answered all of the OP's issues, though admittedly we didn't have to worry about dog destruction, but some places like the salon and aft deck furniture took a lot of heavy use.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 09:40 AM   #22
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
We just got our interior cushions replaced last spring. We went for a very heavy denim, off white, made in USA. The upholsterer who did them helped us a lot with the fabric choice. At first we were looking at something similar online where we got a sample. When the guy show us the difference between the online sample and a true heavy high quality denim we were amazed, no comparison possible. He did the cushion in a way we can remove the fabric to wash them in case of something wrong and on his advice we added 303 to protect them. Very happy of the work done.

L

Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 09:46 AM   #23

City: Watch Hill RI
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
My 2006 Nordic Tug 32+ left the factory with Ultra Leather Brisa settees and pilot seats. Rated at 300,000 "double rubs" (a measurement of durability), the material started to wear after about 6 years. After 9 years, the polyurethane material was worn thin, particularly at seams and high use areas, to the point that the base rayon/nylon material was showing. I replaced the cushions with Naugahyde's Nauga Soft Doeskin, durable to 1,000,000 + double rubs. With my Sailrite sewing machine, and Nauga Soft material from Sailrite, I recovered my cushions for about $250 in materials (my labor was free, a Winter project). I've got about 4 years use on the Nauga Soft, and still looks new. Pictures show worn Ultra Leather, and recovered settee and pilot seat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	old_pilot2.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	196.3 KB
ID:	68261   Click image for larger version

Name:	sette2.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	68262   Click image for larger version

Name:	stbpilot.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	68263  
Puffin_NT32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:06 AM   #24
Veteran Member

City: Cruising Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Vingilot II
Vessel Model: 2004 DeFever 45 RPH
Quote:
Originally Posted by what_barnacles View Post
go to Sailrite - Fabric, Canvas, and Sewing Machines Since 1969

they offer everything you need. knowledge, materials, machines.

Awesome site. Seriously.
Second to this. My wife redid our salon and pilot cushions this past winter. Sunbrella upholstery fabric with 303 protectant lasts a long time. She swears by Sailrite's instructional videos for project ideas.
Regards,
Gary
GGroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:11 AM   #25
Guru

City: Birch bay wa
Vessel Name: Rogue
Vessel Model: North Pacific 42
Ours was redone with Ultraleather from a company called Tapis. Very nice stuff, but it is slick, meaning your butt slides around. Shop that recommended it and installed it, said that he had installed same material on his house couch, 6 years ago and it is still going strong. He also has 3 Labs, and the dogs use it as well.
Rebel112r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:47 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Thanks guys!!

I'll be dong the work myself, using my Sailrite ultrafeed sewing machine. I made my own cockpit canvas, and drapes, and they came out great, so this will be the next project.

The project will be done in either a Sunbrella upholstery fabric, or a vinyl type fabric. Even after all the comments I am still undecided on which.

Wet cleanup, and dog hair vacuming up would probably be easier with a vinyl, and I REALLY like the recomendations of the Naugasoft and ultraleather.

Another thing that is swaying me towards vinyl, vs the fabrics is the elacticity of Vinyl. Something tells me that it might be a bit easier to work with, but since I've not done a project with stretching any material I could be off base with that one.

My big concern is durability, but I'm suspecting that Bayliner did not use the most expensive premium grade of vinyl as a OEM, and it has held up for a long time.
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 11:54 AM   #27
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
I am not here to to tell anyone what to use. I want to get more information out to help other readers make good decisions.

Ultra leather/suede is a urathane product. It is expensive. It has the best stain resistance. It feels like leather and your bare skin won't stick to it like vinyl does. It can be cleaned with aceton if necessary.

Sunbrella last longer than anything else. It's not soft like ultra leather/suede and it stains easier than vinyl but after that it pretty much superior.

Naugahyde is high quality vinyl.

Which of these three materials you choose will depend on your desired out come or budget. In fact I am using all three materials on my current boat.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 03:13 PM   #28
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
................... Another thing that is swaying me towards vinyl, vs the fabrics is the elacticity of Vinyl. Something tells me that it might be a bit easier to work with, but since I've not done a project with stretching any material I could be off base with that one.

My big concern is durability, but I'm suspecting that Bayliner did not use the most expensive premium grade of vinyl as a OEM, and it has held up for a long time.
Here's a reason not to use vinyl if you're doing it yourself: With fabric, if you make a mistake you can pull the stitching out and re-sew the piece. Not so with vinyl. You'll have a row of holes in each piece. Another potential issue with vinyl is that bare skin tends to stick to it. If you wear shorts or go topless, you may end up sitting on a towel.

I have a friend with a Bayliner sport cruiser and his vinyl has not held up, it turned black. He sprayed it with white vinyl paint but it turned black again. Not all black, just spotted like mold bot it won't come off.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:38 AM   #29
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
+1 for Sunbrella upholstery fabric
Sunbrella comes treated so no need to retreat until you wash it.
Caution 303 protectant in NOT meant for fabrics and will actualky remove water repellancy.
Use 303 Fabric Guard...recommended by Sunbrella.
I posted a Sunbrella care & cleaning file in the Library section w tips on using 303 FG
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:44 AM   #30
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Went with Sunbrella fabric in our interior refit. The non porous vinyls, Naugahyde, etc. all look great, but were a non-starter for us. Sticking to the upholstery when it's warm doesn't work.

The Sunbrella fabric has worn like iron and is completely comfortable. Looks great. Gets a lot of hard use from rambunctious, wet, sweaty gkids.

If I was in a more moderate summer climate, I'd probably would have gone with non-porous for appearance.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 11:09 AM   #31
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Sunbrella now has a broader line of fabrics including stuff more suitable for interior furniture. I know a couple of people who are very happy with it.
Yes, we redid the salon a couple of years ago with Sunbrella. The fabric basically looks like what I am told Grand Banks uses - kind of a tweedy tight weave. Expensive, but seems pretty tough.
Old 09-04-2017, 11:20 AM   #32
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbu22 View Post
Went with Sunbrella fabric in our interior refit. The non porous vinyls, Naugahyde, etc. all look great, but were a non-starter for us. Sticking to the upholstery when it's warm doesn't work.

Sunbrella would be great but we never found that the UltraLeather was sticky like vinyl fabrics. It is also easier to clean that fabric.

Not saying that UltraLeather is a better choice than Sunbrella, but just sharing my experience with it. I would assume that Ultrasuede would be the same.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 11:55 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

So my challenge is choice.

My boat has vinyl now. I do not know the brand, or the grade. The stuff in the pilothouse is much thicker, or to me harder than the stuff in the salon, which is very soft.

I do not have a problem with the vinyl feeling sticky in the heat, probably because it doesn't get all that hot here.

Everyone seems to love their Sunbrella upholstery fabric. Everybody seems to love their ultraleather. Everybody seems to love their Naugasoft. All for great reasons.

If vinyl will hold up to the abuse, I'm pretty sure it will be easier to clean spills off of it. It will also not absorb water from a wet dog laying on it.

Sunbrella on the other hand might be easier to sew, and is some pretty tough stuff. Part of the challenge is for me that I have zero upholstery fabrics anywhere in my life. My furniture at home is all leather, or bare wood. Even my truck seats are sheepskin so I have no history with fabric.

What I think I'll do is try the Naugasoft. I'll re-do the helm seat and the pilothouse seating. This will be a fairly simple first upholstery project. The Naugasoft is not a huge investment, and labor is free so if it does not work out I can just choose something different.

Thanks for everyone that provided their input!!!
Old 09-04-2017, 12:50 PM   #34
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Kevin, is it possible that the PH material is harder due to increased aging related to sun exposure?

I think your idea of trying something out on one seat is a great idea. The other thing you could try would be to get some small pieces of the different covering and cover some cushions in the boat with it. Live with those cushions for a bit. Maybe sew up a couple dog beds and let the dog do the testing for you?

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 01:18 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Kevin, is it possible that the PH material is harder due to increased aging related to sun exposure?

I think your idea of trying something out on one seat is a great idea. The other thing you could try would be to get some small pieces of the different covering and cover some cushions in the boat with it. Live with those cushions for a bit. Maybe sew up a couple dog beds and let the dog do the testing for you?
Thats an idea!!

What I might do is to start in the pilothouse as planned, since the seats are worn. My helm seat is really bad, and it is the driver for the project.

In the salon, where the seats are perfect still I might make some removable fabric seat covers. Something fitted nicely with elastic at the bottom to pull it tight. Then I would be able to just throw them in the washer.

The stuff in the pilothouse might just be "sun hard" I'm not sure, you might be right there.
Old 09-04-2017, 06:14 PM   #36
Guru

City: kemah
I havent looked at what type of foam was used, but the foam on my flybridge cushions is as hard as concrete from the sun? Something at least.
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:50 AM   #37

City: Bradenton, FL
Vessel Name: OPTIMYSTIQUE
Vessel Model: Mariner 40
I am looking to replace our lovely dark green settee cushion covers. We only have settees, so we 'lounge' on them much of the time when in the salon. Especially in the evenings when at the dock watching TV or a movie etc. We are looking for some fabric that will hold up well and look good. From the information I've seen, I think Sunbrella is the way we want to go.
Thanks for the discussion.

Wm Mayberry
OPTIMYSTIQUE
Mariner 40
Wmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:51 AM   #38
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Keith

We'll be at the Ganges Marina docks on Monday afternoon. Our Sunbrella interior cushions have held up very well, call and come have a look.
Tom

Thanks for the invitation. We were up in Silva Bay until Monday afternoon, came back so we can go on an excursion with our North Beach neighbours today, so will miss out on the chance to drop by. Another time though......
Old 09-05-2017, 12:36 PM   #39
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Kevin
Test samples would be a good idea... also pay attention to if / how the walking foot deals with the smooth vinyl surface.
I haven't done a lot of sewing w/ vinyls mostly woven fabrics like Sunbrella.

I have seen / read about special feet for leather as the sharp ridges on the std foor have a tendency to leave marks... I'm thinking maybe a piece of masking or duct tape over them would work as well.

Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote