Marine Trader info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kyle911

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Maurader
Vessel Make
Marine Trader Trawler
So I'm trying to get the complete history of my 1976 trawler. The HIN says it's from Taiwan and than New Jersey. The previous owner had it trailed from NJ. He doesn't remember what river or marina it was at. Any clue? Also how do they get the boats from Taiwan? In pieces or do they just trawl them over?

Thanks

"Also how do they get the boats from Taiwan? In pieces or do they just trawl them "over?

TT were usually deck cargo , on a chained down cradle to the West or East coast.

Much of the gear , stove , reefer,auto pilot , electronics was US dealer installed .

The quality of the install varied greatly.

Greetings,
Mr. 911. Marine Traders were sold through Marine Trading International in Tom's River New Jersey from what I know. Good luck trying to trace your individual vessel to a specific yard in Taiwan. You may be able to actually do it. On the other hand, your boat may have had the hull laid up at one yard, the house and superstructure built at another and the finishing work done in some families back yard or a combination of at least all three. The impression I get is from the late 60's to mid 80's trawler construction in Asia was more or less a free for all whereby anybody with some money to invest could "produce" and market their own brands. Yes, there were established yards that built vessels from start to finish, CHB and Albin come to mind, but even the lineage of some of those vessels is cloudy as well.

Here is a good reference for Marine Traders http://www.baris.net/boats/lf3/pdf/articles/venerable taiwanese_trawlers.pdf

The MTOA has a lot of members with these boats. MTOA - Marine Trawler Owners Association You won't regret joining.

RTF is right about the early days of trawlers being like "A free for all" where a low quality boat with no sealing around windows could be built alongside an Ocean Alexander. We looked at over 50 trawlers in our price range before buying. Some were trainwrecks, some were good picture takers on yacht world. Good luck with yours. HTH

I contacted Marine Trading International a few years back and they were kind enough to email a copy of my vessel's build certificate. Perhaps they can do the same for you? You can find them through Google. Best of luck!

Here is a good reference for Marine Traders http://www.baris.net/boats/lf3/pdf/articles/venerable%20taiwanese_trawlers.pdf

The MTOA has a lot of members with these boats. MTOA - Marine Trawler Owners Association You won't regret joining.

RTF is right about the early days of trawlers being like "A free for all" where a low quality boat with no sealing around windows could be built alongside an Ocean Alexander. We looked at over 50 trawlers in our price range before buying. Some were trainwrecks, some were good picture takers on yacht world. Good luck with yours. HTH

Yeah, I'm so happy that can't happen today.

Don't be dazzled by the glossy photos and the internet.

The ONLY thing that has changed is the calendar.

"The impression I get is from the late 60's to mid 80's trawler construction in Asia was more or less a free for all whereby anybody with some money to invest could "produce" and market their own brands."

And as yachting was illegal there , the various worker had zero concept of what the end result should be. Except to copy what someone else did.

Adler -Barbour was having Vagabonds built , with construction plans from the NA.

After 3 or 4 boats were built , suddenly the yard began to build their own copies to no specks!

Last edited:
Very interesting stuff. Thanks to you all. The search continues.....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom