Old 04-06-2016, 09:44 PM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
A couple of points. First, Boat US and Sea Tow are not insurance. They are memberships. It's subtle, but sometimes important.

Second, having not read your insurance policy, generally the tow coverage there is much different than the membership coverage provided by Tow Companies. Your Tow membership does not cover towing from accidents, including a hard grounding. Insurance policies do and generally don't cover tows from mechanical failure. Read the policy and coverage before you decide.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:28 AM   #22

City: Kenosha, WI
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Hershine 37
I operate a TBUS port on Lake Michigan. Unlimited Members ($73 Freshwater) get towed for free. I get paid from Boat US so long tows are welcomed. My Non Member rate is $225 from time I leave my home port til I return. Credit Card #before we leave. Most tows are at $450 and up. I have a 25 mile 1 hour response area and need approval from Boat US to bill outside of my area. Always granted so far. There is a $2500 limit. Which will get you to a port from almost anywhere in the lake.

Salvage is billed to an insurance company. Check your policy, some cheapo ones have a $5000 salvage cap. Rest is up to you. Salvage can be very expensive. Make sure your environmental coverage is adequate. The USCG can order an clean up company if you have a spill and bill you thousands. One owner was hit with a $19K bill. The last thing on insurance is to make sure you have an agreed value not market value policy. Cheaper is not better.

Towing is half what it used to be 10 years ago in the Midwest Most marinas are half full. Tell all your friends to buy a boat

http://savingtortuga.blogspot.com/
Greatlaker221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:20 AM   #23
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Oars better be reliable...assistance towers usually don't cover human powered craft....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:58 AM   #24
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatlaker221 View Post
...........The last thing on insurance is to make sure you have an agreed value not market value policy. Cheaper is not better. ..........
That is not always possible. My insurance company changed mine from agreed value to market value after the boat reached ten years old. Agreed value was no longer an option.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:13 AM   #25
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
That is not always possible. My insurance company changed mine from agreed value to market value after the boat reached ten years old. Agreed value was no longer an option.
It is always possible. Perhaps just not with your insurer. It's at that point I would have probably changed insurers.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 11:17 AM   #26
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimL View Post
Most yacht policies include a Towing Provision. Im seeing quotes for limits of $250, $2500 and $5000 per incident. I also have BOATUS towing Insurance at the unlimited level, although there are no BOATUS Towers in the areas BOATUS will refer us to one of their network providers.
Be careful of the fine print -- you will likely find that "unlimited" means "unlimited within the towing area (50 - 100 nm from port)". And even within the towing area, the towing isn't really unlimited. For example, if you breakdown and ask for a tow into the nearest port, hoping for quick repairs only to find that you need to get towed to your home port, that second tow will not be covered.

MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote