Old 05-15-2019, 11:42 PM   #1
Scraping Paint

City: nowhere
Question Marine Stoves?

Along with a long list of other things, one of the biggest things we want to change on our boat is our stove. We currently only have a two burner electric stove that a.) takes FOREVER to heat up, and b.) has no oven.

We'll have to do some modifications in the galley to accommodate a new stove, but I need to start researching propane plumbing, and stove brands now in order to build a plan.

We do not need a gimbaled stove as I'm fairly certain we wont be doing any cooking on the hook as we aren't cruisers but I am open to them if they are considered better for resale value.

Also, what is the difference between a marine stove and an RV stove? Could I use an RV stove?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!
toocoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 11:55 PM   #2
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Our LPG(?= propane) SMEV brand stove,3 flame out safety burners with oven, no gimballs,has been used on the hook/on a mooring ball many times, no problem. In sheltered areas not immune from wash and wind.

Despite my protests, the Admiral once insisted on using it to cook rice while on the move. Just once. Lesson learned. Spills but no scalds. Anchored you should be fine.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 12:14 AM   #3
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Our LPG(?= propane) SMEV brand stove,3
Interesting. A google search says that SMEV is a Dometic brand, and looks like its an RV stove/oven.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:57 AM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
RV stoves are not manufactured with salt water in mind. Some of the internal parts will rust, just like a cheap BBQ, so they won't last as long as a good marine stove. That being said, my first boat was built in 1977 and had an RV stove. I sold the boat in 1988 with that stove still functional.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:47 AM   #5
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by toocoys View Post
Interesting. A google search says that SMEV is a Dometic brand, and looks like its an RV stove/oven.
Here`s a pic of the SMEV( pls. excuse the reflection). Fitted 9 years ago, no problems. It replaced the "Princess" RV original which was leaking at the control valves but otherwise ok.
I figured the SMEV brand, made in Italy, was to lever off the well known Euro SMEG brand.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0579.jpg  
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 05:30 AM   #6
FF
Guru

To me a proper marine stove should require a push on the burner knob to turn on a burner , so someone walking by does not turn on a burner.

It should light on HI and the low burner flame should be adjustable so the burner wont blow out from an open hatch or port.

It should be on a switched solenoid with a setup that illuminates a light when operation.

A bilge sniffer is part of the install package.

A nice touch is a mechanical timer that also needs to be on to have the stove function.
OOOPS or kids playing is eliminated
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 07:09 AM   #7
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by toocoys View Post
Along with a long list of other things, one of the biggest things we want to change on our boat is our stove. We currently only have a two burner electric stove that a.) takes FOREVER to heat up, and b.) has no oven.

Before you leap through too many hoops... you might consider if the current unit takes forever to heat up, it may just be malfunctioning. (Our cooktop takes about 1 minute 'til lift-off.)

If so, fix... or replace in kind? Or replace with an induction unit, which I (think I) understand heats instantly? Could be easier install...

We've had good luck with a combo microwave/convection oven... including perfect Thanksgiving turkey. Perhaps if you have only a microwave, a swap to a combo could easily solve the oven function?

Is your stove really a stove, or a cooktop? Maybe if a stove, changing to a cooktop somehow could reclaim you some of the lower space...

-Chris
Old 05-16-2019, 07:41 AM   #8
Guru

City: East Coast, Australia
Quote:
Here`s a pic of the SMEV( pls. excuse the reflection). Fitted 9 years ago, no problems. It replaced the "Princess" RV original which was leaking at the control valves but otherwise ok.
I figured the SMEV brand, made in Italy, was to lever off the well known Euro SMEG brand.
Another vote for SMEV and we have what looks like the same 3 burner cooktop as Bruce. Tough glass top covers when not in use. We don't have a gas stove below though....instead an excellent LG convection microwave. (Moderators, pls Photoshop out Bruce's legs from his pic....gotta be a breach of TF rules surely?)
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:01 AM   #9
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
" (Moderators, pls Photoshop out Bruce's legs from his pic....gotta be a breach of TF rules surely?)" +1...

Old 05-16-2019, 08:47 AM   #10
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Twocoys,
We have a 3 burner “Force 10” propane stove and it’s quite perfect.
Fairly good sized oven. Propane lasts a long time.
Not good for a substitute heater as much moisture is released burning propane.
We have that covered w a Wabasto furnace heater running on kerosene/diesel.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:13 AM   #11
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
RV stoves are used all the time in power boats. They can usually be bought for around $600. They usually are gimbless but fixed stove installation is more common in power boats. Suburban and Atwood are the most common. Magic Chef was the stove of choice all through the 90’s but some one bought them. They come in 17” and 21” so know hour size ahead of time. Never heard of anyone replacing their stove because of corrosion. Most common reason for stove replacement is failure of oven door. Safety with propane is a different story in marine. Make sure you follow Marine safety standards with installation and safety equipment.
tiltrider1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:38 AM   #12
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
If you decide to go the propane route, of course all safety measures must be installed. For insurance purposes, you might want to consider having a "gas fitter" make all of the gas connections. If DIY they may deny any future claims that could (remotely) be blamed on the propane system. Just a consideration.
In our experience, we found RV stoves to be of very poor quality and function (especially the oven). In our travel trailer (Suburban stove if I remember correctly) many things we tried to cook in the oven burnt. The burner was in the middle of the oven and very high up in the body of the oven. We tried many "diffusers" to try to correct this (spread out the heat) to no avail. Our good friends recently purchased a brand new Winnibago Class C. Same issue with the stove so they replaced it with a marine stove (Force 10). Now they are happy with it. We have talked to quite a few RVers about this issue and almost all of the people we talked to had similar complaints about the oven. The 2 brands of marine stoves I am familiar with are Force 10 and Dickinson. IMHO both good products. We too have a Force 10 3 burner stove and are very happy with it. It is 16 years old and still works great.

If it were me, after these experiences, I would not try to "save a couple of bucks" by installing an RV stove.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:40 PM   #13
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
You shouldn't need a gimballed stove. Those are for sailboats healed over for lengths of time. I've never needed a gimballed stove on anchor, even when it's rough in the anchorage. We don't' cook underway if we're rolling moderately.

I also prefer gas to electric when cooking.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 01:09 PM   #14
FF
Guru

"You shouldn't need a gimballed stove."

However when a dummy goes buy tossing a 4 ft wale the gymbols may save a scalding.

Ditto with fiddle rails,, useful at times.

My concept is if the range is athwartships (90 deg to the keel)the gymbols and fiddles can be ignored as a flying pot will not usually go fore or aft to scald the cook.

If the range or cook top is parallel to the keel, almost any wave motion could toss every item pots at the cook.

A really good long apron and no barefoot cooking could be wise.

Especially with a galley up ,that suffers more motion.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:29 PM   #15

City: Marina Del Rey
Another variable to consider is where you will put the propane tank, if you don't already have storage for them. You will need a locker to be watertight with a drain at the bottom, leading out to a through hull above the waterline.
FrontBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 04:02 PM   #16
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
" (Moderators, pls Photoshop out Bruce's legs from his pic....gotta be a breach of TF rules surely?)" +1...

I thought those were legs of lamb.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:01 PM   #17
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Here`s a pic of the SMEV( pls. excuse the reflection). Fitted 9 years ago, no problems. .
SNAP
Exact same unit we have

Would love to replace it with something bigger, but would have to do a re-jig of the galley to do it.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:34 PM   #18
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Before you leap through too many hoops... you might consider if the current unit takes forever to heat up, it may just be malfunctioning. (Our cooktop takes about 1 minute 'til lift-off.)

If so, fix... or replace in kind? Or replace with an induction unit, which I (think I) understand heats instantly? Could be easier install...

We really want an oven, and prefer gas cooking. Additionally, if we go gas, that's less battery bank we have to worry about if we wanna cook while out on weekend trips.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:36 PM   #19
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehoser75 View Post
If you decide to go the propane route, of course all safety measures must be installed. For insurance purposes, you might want to consider having a "gas fitter" make all of the gas connections. If DIY they may deny any future claims that could (remotely) be blamed on the propane system. Just a consideration.
Good point! And one I hadn't thought of.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:39 PM   #20
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehoser75 View Post
In our experience, we found RV stoves to be of very poor quality and function (especially the oven). In our travel trailer (Suburban stove if I remember correctly) many things we tried to cook in the oven burnt. The burner was in the middle of the oven and very high up in the body of the oven. .

We lived in our RV for 2.5 years before moving aboard and had the same issue when we first started. We were able to correct the situation by placing terra cotta tiles between the burner and the baking rack. We also usually cooked about 50 degrees less than recipes called for.