Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-17-2016, 07:20 PM   #41
Veteran Member
City: North of Texas
Originally Posted by oldhatt View Post
So I was pleasantly surprised when Janice aboard Seaweed showed in great detail how she solved this problem.

She used a simple $100 Haier air conditioner coupled with a Moby-Cool AC cover. The result is an inexpensive, effective way to keep her boat cool.
Great write up. I didn't catch how Janice mounted the Heier unit to the roof though. Got to be more than double sided foam tape to the Moby-Cool?

HeadedToTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:25 PM   #42
City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
Note to Capt.Bill11: Rust would not normally be an issue for the wall-banger solution I detailed. For several months I was downwind (across the dock) from an 85' steel shrimp boat doing a major overhaul. Between the grinding, chip hammers and more, well, it rained steel dust on my Seaweed. A year later I still am finding more rust spots.
My comment wasn't directed to you and your installation.

It was directed at the split unit installation.

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 04:14 PM   #43
City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Originally Posted by HeadedToTexas View Post
Great write up. I didn't catch how Janice mounted the Heier unit to the roof though. Got to be more than double sided foam tape to the Moby-Cool?

Oops Tex. I missed that part. Thanks so much for catching it. I did update the article. http://janice142.com/Articles/Moby-CoolInstalled.html

For your convenience here is what I said:

First the picture:

On hand I had another piece of teak the width of the Moby-Cool approximately 1" by 1/2". That was used as a backing plate. (blue arrow)

Four screws (green arrows) hold the air conditioner in place. They go through the cover, teak backing plate and then into the air conditioner.

Still I was concerned that in rough seas the a/c might bounce back. Thus I used a piece of aluminum angle iron ("L" bracket) as a brace to prevent the a/c from moving aft. It is wedged in and won't wiggle.

When the Haier finally gives up the ghost I'll simply remove the four screws, lift up and pull aft. Replacement will be easy with another similar unit. Because Edwin wired in an outlet swapping air-conditioners could not be simpler.

Truly I am blessed.

P.S. - Thanks again for pointing out I missed the most obvious thing. That's very helpful.

Janice aboard Seaweed, living the good life afloat...
janice142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:03 AM   #44
Folks that want to install a more perminiant RV thru the roof style unit will need a 14x14 hatch it can work thru.

The RV units will last , as long as salt spray is not a constant with the boat in motion.

Folks that are put off be the price , $500 - $600 can find a $929.95 unit from Flagship Marine (almost a boat buck!) they claim is marinized.

Stuart Fl ,,,,,,,.,flagshipmarine.com

FF is offline   Reply With Quote