Old 06-18-2019, 04:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Deltaville, Virginia
Vessel Name: Next Chapter
Vessel Model: 34' Marine Trader DC
Marina Surcharge

I would like peoples opinion on the following:

I currently have my trawler on the hard at a local marina. I signed no contract with them and I was not given any kind of rules. Each month they bill my credit card for the storage.

I lost a 32" piece of teak gunnel off of my trawler during a hurricane last year. I asked the marina about cutting a new piece of teak for me. They gave me a ridiculous quote of $3400.00. I went and bought the piece of teak at a local exotic wood shop for $90.00. I found a local craftsman that quoted me $600.00 to cut and shape it to fit.

I told the local craftsman where the boat was and he said it was no problem with him doing the work because he was friends with the marina owner.

He then send me a picture where he installed the new wood and said that was part of the $600.00 price. He now does not want me to pay him but the marina will bill me.

I explained that the two of us had a deal between us. He said he does 50K worth of business there and does not want to piss the owner off so don't pay him and he returned my deposit

I now receive a bill from the marina for the $600.00 plus a 40% surcharge.

What would you do? Pay it or dispute it with the credit card company?

Keep in mind I bought the wood and someone not even associated with the marina fixed it. They have no signs up or issue paperwork stating you can not hire from the outside.
nobles9596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 04:53 PM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Pay it ($600 + $240) and leave the marina. Not worth the fight over $240.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:04 PM   #3

City: Pensacola, FL
Vessel Name: Rain Dog
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
What is the name of the marina?
Rain Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:06 PM   #4
Guru

City: San Diego, CA
Vessel Name: Second Chance
Vessel Model: 42' Uniflite Double Cabin
Pay it and get out of the marina before you squabble over it. With no contract it's a bad situation and they can make getting your boat out of there very difficult if they choose to. If you want your money back, just take them to small claims after you are out, I'm sure you will win since you signed no contract and you have no legal obligation to pay them any surcharges.

I'm in a situation personally where parts of my boat were cut off with a power saw by the boat yard owner, and it was blocked incorrectly which damaged the boat further. It's going to be a big mess but I'm waiting until I can leave the yard to hold them accountable. A lot more than $240 is at stake.
sbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:07 PM   #5
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Sounds like a good ole boy network at work!
Old 06-18-2019, 05:09 PM   #6
JLD
Guru

City: Delaware
+1 on what Ted says.

Especially if you ever want to use either the marina or the craftsman again.

Jim
JLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:14 PM   #7
Guru

City: San Diego, CA
Vessel Name: Second Chance
Vessel Model: 42' Uniflite Double Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLD View Post
+1 on what Ted says.

Especially if you ever want to use either the marina or the craftsman again.

Jim
Doesn't sound like either are doing good business and would not be a loss. So far my experiences with boat yards and marinas and many boat repair 'professionals' has been extremely negative. Maybe it's just my area.
sbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:43 PM   #8
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Sounds VERY familiar....and normal...outside contractors either pay the marina or the marina bills you a surcharge.

Not having a contract with the marina sounds unusual.....maybe a red flag?

Usually one goes to the office and asks about service work, outside contractors, lay days, etc.....usually that's when the talk of contracts come up. All but a rare few don't get that all settled up front.

If not interested in giving the name out, what region of the country are you in may I ask....Deltaville as in your profile? That would be very strange in my mind to not be under any contract in that area.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 06:42 PM   #9
Guru

City: Pahrump, NV
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Sold Selene 47
Take this experience with a grain of salt. Get away from the marina as soon as possible then decide if its worth the effort to fight it.
Too many reputable marinas out there that would love your business.
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:18 PM   #10
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
In the boatyard I use, if I bring in an outside contractor I pay $10/hr to the yard for his/her time. Been that way for years.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:07 PM   #11
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
Dispute the bill. Then ask them to launch your boat.
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:10 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Would ask them nicelyto drop the surarge and if they do, great. If they don’t leave asap.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:20 PM   #13
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
Curious about the name of the marina too. Very near there I was billed an exorbitant price for a some work that involved an outside contractor. I could use only their's, very high price for the service onto which they tacked a surcharge.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:06 AM   #14
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
Everyone says "just leave", like that's so easy. Lol. Why are you the hard? When are you getting in the water again?

I would just pay it.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:26 AM   #15
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
That is pretty typical. Yards here that allow outside contractors generally charge a fee for an outside contractor to come in. I even know one yard that requires you to have a yard employ accompany you if you want to go onto your boat on the hard. Yes, you have to pay the going rate for that employees time. Just pay the bill and next time ask ahead to see if the marina charges a fee for outside contractors.
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:29 AM   #16
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
I doubt/surprised if they will put the boat in the water until everything has been paid.

When you get your car worked on, they add "shop fees". That $240 could be "shop fees and EPA disposal etc fees."
Ask them to explain it to you, pay the bill, launch the boat and leave, if you wish.
In the course of a boat's life, $240 is basically nothing.

Come to think of it, each time I go to the yard, I too pay a 'yard fee'. How they arrive at the amount of the 'yard fee' I have no idea.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:43 AM   #17
Guru

$240 IS something....mostly something that should be understood by all parties BEFORE anything happens.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:48 AM   #18
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
$240 IS something....mostly something that should be understood by all parties BEFORE anything happens.
Well then, when you next go to a marina for a bottom job, make sure you ask for the yard fees before.

I trust the yard I have used..... they aren't out to screw me. They charge what I consider a fair price.... a bit over $360 per for each coat of bottom paint, I had 3 coats applied and a 4th coat to the water line. I instructed them to replace all zincs, they did. They serviced all my hull valves without asking permission.... I have no reason to object.
If you wish, I will hunt up the itemized yard bill, telling you all I had done and the total price. Maybe they separated the yard fees, I would have to look.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:52 AM   #19
Guru

City: Northport
Pay it - you have nothing in writing.
Hopefully your total bill for going back into the water will not contain any additional surprises.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:54 AM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Well then, when you next go to a marina for a bottom job, make sure you ask for the yard fees before.

I trust the yard I have used..... they aren't out to screw me. They charge what I consider a fair price.... a bit over $360 per for each coat of bottom paint, I had 3 coats applied and a 4th coat to the water line. I instructed them to replace all zincs, they did. They serviced all my hull valves without asking permission.... I have no reason to object.
If you wish, I will hunt up the itemized yard bill, telling you all I had done and the total price. Maybe they separated the yard fees, I would have to look.

Really? Not my point at all...if you re willing to pay anything...then sure, don't check prices and policies or get a contract. Using a yard you have done business with before...well that starts the slippery slope but things might go well for awhile.

My point with even marinas I trust....things still go awry and you could be on the hook to pay anything they demand.

Believe me I am the trusting sort...and I have paid dearly for it through life as a handshake is no longer the bond it once was. I am starting to double check everything.