Marina Reservations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In Connecticut!
We just recently made our first reservation using a service.
They are called Dockwa. I e-mailed them with our dates for Martha’s Vineyard, 12 hours later we were confirmed within 12 hours and we received an
e-mail. How easy is that
Paul
Only easy if the slips confirmed can really accommodate you and you are happy with them.

I think that was Ted's (OC Divers) original concern.

I know there are businesses that displace advertising from one medium to another, growing with tech and the net payment increase is probably zero or maybe a decrease in boating related costs. While the old ad medium loses money or jobs...well...what are you ganja do?

It doesn't cost me anything out of pocket (directly)...so why do I care?

On that note, I would love to see the political, economic and social discussion run (not walk) to the OTDE....as real boating issues are argued enough.

Anyone here that thinks AC or the electronic waterway guide or Southern Boating website, etc...etc..is a bad thing...may your next flight be on a reciprocating engine aircraft, with LORAN as a backup nav instrument and a drunk pilot...those are all from the good old days...have at them...In.the OTDE.....

Last edited:
Only easy if the slips confirmed can really accommodate you and you are happy with them.

I think that was Ted's (OC Divers) original concern.

I know there are businesses that displace advertising from one medium to another, growing with tech and the net payment increase is probably zero or maybe a decrease in boating related costs. While the old ad medium loses money or jobs...well...what are you ganja do?

It doesn't cost me anything out of pocket (directly)...so why do I care?

On that note, I would love to see the political, economic and social discussion run (not walk) to the OTDE....as real boating issues are argued enough.

Anyone here that thinks AC or the electronic waterway guide or Southern Boating website, etc...etc..is a bad thing...may your next flight be on a reciprocating engine aircraft, with LORAN as a backup nav instrument and a drunk pilot...those are all from the good old days...have at them...In.the OTDE.....

Two weeks ago I booked a room in Ottawa through one of the on-line services. A few days into our stay we were having a beer with some folks at the bar. Got to discussing room rates. They called the hotel directly and booked a package deal. Rate for equivalent room was far less than what we paid. Never again...I will always call the hotel direct.

You just added to the economic, social and business discussion and then promptly recommended moving it to ODTE. I recommended moving it o the Commercial Market section a long time ago. That is what this is about. This vendor clearly doesn't want it moved there.

If I want a cruising guide I pay for it. So should you.

Last edited:

Down to ridicule and insult, are we? Not nice.

By the way, it's interesting that the big proponents of this "freebee" are mostly cruisers. The mom and pops who hang out at the marina and do local day cruises aren't really represented....and they get to subsidize those who use the product.

Last edited:
Examples of technology improvements that digs deep into consumers pockets.
TV service, telephone service, internet service. The providers now have us and they are having their way with us. I know, I know, I have the choice to go off the grid!:flowers:

So can you provide any example where some type of technology was added at a marina and used by everyone else that resulted in slip prices increasing for you?

(I can't wait to hear this one...)

Must we?

So much rancor is unseemly on this forum. Jeffery and Karen have revolutionized how I cruise. I don't find my anchorages any more crowded, I love access to other cruisers reviews, I have found new anchorages with the help of AC, I've booked and cancelled successfully and seamlessly with Dockwa, I run my online business as a full time cruiser, I have a modern anchor, I pick and choose my websites and I'm glad they are there for me to choose from. If it costs me a bit more, to have access to all these great tools, and I haven't seen that happen, I'm happy to pay for it. If Jeffery and Karen profit handsomely from their endeavors they fully deserve it. If their efforts weren't helpful to us cruisers their business would have failed.

I think the nattering nabobs of negativism should take a break and walk to the corner pharmacy to have their Kodachrome 's developed. Probably 2 good photos in a roll of 36. But then who needs technology? Now I'm heading below to use my cell phone.

Wifey B: On topic. The question is will you use the system. Requires no editorial and only two answers, "Yes" or "No".

My answer is NO

Semi-you might find yourself out of $$ again if you rely only on calling hotels direct. All chain companies (and many independent properties) now use "Load management software" to manage room rate yields. Local property management has little to no ability to override the software. So, if you call and book during a period the software anticipates high need, you will not only not get a lower rate than other sources, you may well get a higher rate. Just another example for you to cite about technology hitting you in the pocketbook! As I recall from Macro Econ 101 many, many years ago, it is called "supply and demand."

Nope. I call the marina to speak with a person. I also call front desks of hotels to speak to a person as well. I do use apps and Internet to price check and negotiate.

I think the nattering nabobs of negativism should take a break and walk to the corner pharmacy to have their Kodachrome 's developed. Probably 2 good photos in a roll of 36. But then who needs technology? Now I'm heading below to use my cell phone.

I think the cruisers who are so much in support of these "free" information aides should belly up and pay for it themselves. I'm sure Jeffrey could look at his books and set a pay-for-play fee that would offset all of his advertising receipts....and he says it's not about the money anyway. Then you wouldn't be taxing the rest of us, and non-users will respect you for stepping up. Maybe you'd like to lead the effort to get Jeffrey to transition the system?

In the mean time, I'll be discussing the downsides of all of this with fellow boaters, marina managers, corporate offices, and State funding offices in Michigan and Wisconsin.

By the way, I sense just a tad bit of unseemliness...maybe just a touch of rancor... in the above paragraph.

Last edited:
I think the cruisers who are so much in support of these "free" information aides should belly up and pay for it themselves. I'm sure Jeffrey could look at his books and set a pay-for-play fee that would offset all of his advertising receipts....and he says it's not about the money anyway. Then you wouldn't be taxing the rest of us, and non-users will respect you for stepping up. Maybe you'd like to lead the effort to get Jeffrey to transition the system?

I'd like to thank you for paying these imaginary increases so that I can continue to use Active Captain for free. :flowers:

Your contribution is greatly appreciated! :rolleyes:

Ted

I'd like to thank you for paying these imaginary increases so that I can continue to use Active Captain for free. :flowers:

Your contribution is greatly appreciated! :rolleyes:

Ted

Keep it up. Adds to my motivation. Plenty of listeners outside the TF cruising segment who will get the flick. Fat cat boaters who have the funds to cruise off into the sunset sucking off of local families who are having trouble paying for the ever increasing price of their slip. No contest. Enjoy the freebee while it lasts. And you are very welcome.

If you don't cruise what difference is the cost of transient dockage? Or the cost of an Anchorage?

I think I smell something, did you write a guidebook or something? I'm stumped by your anger.

Keep it up. Adds to my motivation. Plenty of listeners outside the TF cruising segment who will get the flick. Fat cat boaters who have the funds to cruise off into the sunset sucking off of local families who are having trouble paying for the ever increasing price of their slip. No contest. Enjoy the freebee while it lasts. And you are very welcome.

Wifey B: Are you over or under 100 years old? It's fine either way. Just curious.

Don't get me wrong, I'm on a budget just like everyone else. :blush: I figure the money Jeff has saved me by making anchorage information and free docks widely available is probably worth hundreds of dollars per year to me. Then there is the fuel he's saved me by being able to find and cursory evaluate marinas in my area without going to them. Then there was the time I bent my prop and was able to find an inexpensive boatyard on Active Captain to get it taken care of at. I could go on an on, but I think you get the idea.

With all these savings, I could probably afford to pay an annual fee, but I'm still OK with you picking up the imaginary tab. ;)

Ted

With all these savings, I could probably afford to pay an annual fee, but I'm still OK with you picking up the imaginary tab. ;)

Ted

Wifey B: Wonder if he can tell us how much he's spent on each of us through his imaginary tab? Maybe we should all send him a penny. Would that make us even? :confused:

In the mean time, I'll be discussing the downsides of all of this with fellow boaters, marina managers, corporate offices, and State funding offices in Michigan and Wisconsin.

I think I understand your basic premise. You suggest that any service that is paid for, not by the end users of the service, but in by advertisers, raises the total cost to the general public. I think you are probably correct. I may be able to watch over the air TV for free, but it is paid for by advertisers which raises the cost of the products those advertisers sell even to those who don't watch TV.

If I pay for a meal at a restaurant I am using a service that costs the business money, maybe 2.5% of the transaction cost. This coat has to be recovered from al, patrons of the restaurant even if they pay cash for their meal. The credit card companies profit, the restaurant benefits, the cc patron gets the convenience of being able to use a cc to pay, but the cash customer gets none of the benefit but still has to pay for the increased cost of the meal. Same issue.

If you are consistent, you would be spending a lot more time ranting about credit card companies than you are about services such as AC, dockwa or others. Somehow I doubt that is the case. I also notice that you are doing the ranting on a web forum that you are not paying for. Your ranting here, using your same argument, is somehow, somewhere costing non-TF users money because you are not paying directly for this service.

Maybe it is because I have finished off a lovely 22oz bottle of stout all by myself, but I find myself being rather blunt. I had suggested that maybe this issue should simply lie so that it wouldn't come to this point but that wasn't a suggestion you found acceptable. Instead of conducting myself in a "nice and friendly" manner as I normally endeavor to do, here I am naming your ranting about AC and its like as boorish and ill conceived. In calling your persistent personal diatribe against Jeffrey rude, I am myself putting aside the rules of decorous public discourse to which I normally try to ascribe. My own behavior has now become completely unacceptable, particularly as I am enjoying the lovely Canadian scenery, the country which epitomizes the concepts of nice and polite.

And so, I would like to apologize to you semi-planing, to the TF community, and to the great country of Canada, for my lapse. I should go take a nap.

And so, I would like to apologize to you semi-planing, to the TF community, and to the great country of Canada, for my lapse. I should go take a nap.

Dave

Nah.... Have another 22oz stout

The sad part about this is that I just found out that David likes stout. I had two great award winning stouts and one dark Belgian wheat ale from the local micro brewery that I wanted to bring down to him when we met

My wife said it was presumptuous to take it, ("What if they don't drink?") so I didn't.

D'oh!

Next time.

The sad part about this is that I just found out that David likes stout. I had two great award winning stouts and one dark Belgian wheat ale from the local micro brewery that I wanted to bring down to him when we met

My wife said it was presumptuous to take it, ("What if they don't drink?") so I didn't.

D'oh!

Next time.

Now I feel really bad! I had it buried in the fridge when you came by. I should have dug it out and shared it with you. I kept the boat mostly dry when the kids were on board. My son in law doesn't drink and my son (much to my everlasting disappointment) likes Bud Lite. Good ale is completely wasted on him.

Naps for this group is a good idea. When you awaken, remember the Mark Twain quote: "Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured. "

Naps for this group is a good idea. When you awaken, remember the Mark Twain quote: "Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured. "

Great advice. Thank you. I will definitely take it to heart.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom