marina question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wfleenor

Vessel Name
Double-Wide
Vessel Make
49ft Custom Power Catamaran
Is it common for marinas to forbid exterior boat work, including bottom cleaning? Thanks.

My experience is marinas have a recommended diver for bottom cleAning. You can clean your topsides as much as you want. Unless your in the Bahamas with water restriction.

I take the boat out on the water somewhere and do that scraping. It is perhaps more of a safety issue in a marina for me. Who knows if there is stray current there, or maybe something on the bottom to hurt my foot. And I do not like those pilling covered with barnacles near me.

Is it common for marinas to forbid exterior boat work, including bottom cleaning? Thanks.
Are you talking bottom cleaning in the yard?

Sanding without vacuum recovery?

Not exactly sure what you are asking.

But there are DIY yards with few restrictions all the way to very restrictive marinas.

wf, In my experience, yes it is common here in the PNW.

My marina says I'm only supposed to redo/rework 25% of topside (cough cough, ahem). All sanding with vacuum-sucked tools. No power tools after 6 PM (should be on 2nd drink by then anyways!)

Hey, you're close, maybe we will cross paths before the weather changes this season (I'm in Columbia City, gone starting tomorrow for a while.)

Most marinas do not want you leaving toxic dust from sanding bottom paint. If it's in the water they might want to approve the vendor to make sure they are listed as named insured on insurance policy. They might also take a dim view of you sanding topsides and covering adjacent boats with dust.

Marinas want to limit liability, keep EPA off their backs, and keep tenants happy. Their terms and conditions are usually spelled out in the storage contract.

Last edited:
In my area exist places to go that are smooth and flat on the bottom. i can anchor with the keel even lightly touching the bottom and scrape as much as I can reach, done that 3 years in a row. I do keep on a shoes, and maybe a shirt.
this time of year the water is nice and warm, mid 80. One thing though, fish will nibble on your back.
i need to do that again, I do it once a year. I bought a hoe, and straitened it out, and it works well as a scraper. Doing that attracts a lot of fish.

Last edited:
Many marinas in the PNW are restricting sanding, varnishing and painting. And sawing, drilling etc.

Some will require an approved diver for bottom cleaning.

As for PNW boatyards, there are few remaining that allow DIY but with restriction. No paint spraying, washing or sandblasting. Tenting or ductless sanding required with only approved vacuum cleaners and sanders. Tenting required for any grinding.

wf, In my experience, yes it is common here in the PNW.

My marina says I'm only supposed to redo/rework 25% of topside (cough cough, ahem). All sanding with vacuum-sucked tools. No power tools after 6 PM (should be on 2nd drink by then anyways!)

Hey, you're close, maybe we will cross paths before the weather changes this season (I'm in Columbia City, gone starting tomorrow for a while.)

That is per Washington State Dept of Ecology. And noting outside the rails, just decks and house. I found out the hard way....

I have not been to a marina which prevented me from sanding the bottom myself, or doing my own work, and if they did, I would not go there.

The environmental nazis hate your boat and you too for having one.

Many politicians of the left persuasion have embraced the GND, and that means a big X mark against your boat, you cant deny this, and if you dont recognize it, your inconsistent about the creeping tide going on now.

Last edited:
Our boat yard will not let you sand the bottom. Anything else is ok. I work all winter in the barn, usually by myself doing whatever project I am working on. They gave me a key to the yard so I can work through the winter. In the summer our boat is docked behind our house so I do whatever is needed.

Boat is currently in Scappoose, but I live in California. Will be up around the 16th and dropping in at St Helens before heading back upstream to Portland for the winter.

I have not been to a marina which prevented me from sanding the bottom myself, or doing my own work, and if they did, I would not go there.

The environmental nazis hate your boat and you too for having one.

Many politicians of the left persuasion have embraced the GND, and that means a big X mark against your boat, you cant deny this, and if you dont recognize it, your inconsistent about the creeping tide going on now.

The OP is on the Columbia river in OR. He sits right across the river from WA state. Setting aside your political issues, your experience in VA doesn’t have a lot of relevance for the OPs situation.

I’m in WA, but I’m on Puget Sound so don’t know what the typical standards and practices are on the Columbia in OR. I’m also not sure if he was talking about working on the bottom while on the hard or in the water.

The OP is on the Columbia river in OR. He sits right across the river from WA state. Setting aside your political issues, your experience in VA doesn’t have a lot of relevance for the OPs situation.

I’m in WA, but I’m on Puget Sound so don’t know what the typical standards and practices are on the Columbia in OR. I’m also not sure if he was talking about working on the bottom while on the hard or in the water.

Its possible I could not own a boat over there, if they refuse to let me do anything.
I think they dont want people scraping off barnacles in the water at all on the west coast since some anti foul gets in the water. Now Washington state has outlawed copper paints. And you guys have stricter laws about these things than we do. And I am certain will get stricter than they are now.

If you anchored somewhere away from other boats and scraped off barnacles in the water, would a fellow boater report you as in violation of some pollution laws? I dont know, but I can easily imagine it.

Last edited:
Yes, I though as much, its illegal over there out west to scrape them off in the water...
So what is the penalty if charged with this crime?
https://www.cgaps.org/wp-content/uploads/Hawaii-In-Water-Vessel-Cleaning-Report-Final-123116.pdf

In-water cleaning as it is currently practiced typically involves scraping, brushing, or
blasting off fouling, releasing potentially viable organisms and/or their propagules, as well
as paint components into the water. Thus, while cleaning in-water between drydock
intervals is a major tool for the reduction of biofouling, which helps ships to meet clean hull
requirements, in-water cleaning is also increasingly becoming restricted or banned. In some
locations, such as the state of Washington and certain water bodies in California, concerns
about the release of toxic chemicals, such as copper, from antifouling paints, are the main
reason for bans on in-water cleaning (state regulations reviewed in McClay et al. 2015). In
New Zealand, new guidelines for in-water cleaning currently under review were created to
deal with both chemical contaminants and biosecurity, allowing cleaning only in
circumstances when both issues can be sufficiently addressed (Craft Risk Management
Standard 2014). In Hawaii, in-water cleaning is allowed as long as certain state and federal
discharge standards for water quality are met (Tanimoto, pers. comm 2015). No current
regulation for in-water cleaning addresses biosecurity. Thus, there is a risk that in-water
cleaning requests in Hawaii will increase in the near future because of biofouling and inwater cleaning policy developments elsewhere in the Pacific.

I have a good memory as I knew I had read about this before.

Its possible I could not own a boat over there, if they refuse to let me do anything.
I think they dont want people scraping off barnacles in the water at all on the west coast since some anti foul gets in the water. Now Washington state has outlawed copper paints. And you guys have stricter laws about these things than we do. And I am certain will get stricter than they are now.

If you anchored somewhere away from other boats and scraped off barnacles in the water, would a fellow boater report you as in violation of some pollution laws? I dont know, but I can easily imagine it.

Washington State does not ban copper paint..........yet.

Washington State keep talking about banning copper antifouling.

So far it has not been implemented due to the efforts of RBAW and other boating groups. And because copper free antifouling has not been demonstrated as being as effective as copper.

Yes, I though as much, its illegal over there out west to scrape them off in the water...
So what is the penalty if charged with this crime?

In-water hull cleaning is not a crime of any kind anywhere in the United States. There are a few local and state restrictions about what kind of paint can be cleaned, but for the most part, nothing more. You posted a link to a study done a few years ago in Hawaii. A study is not legislation. It is not a law. What makes you think otherwise?

In-water hull cleaning is not a crime of any kind anywhere in the United States. There are a few local and state restrictions about what kind of paint can be cleaned, but for the most part, nothing more. You posted a link to a study done a few years ago in Hawaii. A study is not legislation. It is not a law. What makes you think otherwise?

That was the point I made about copper paint, even your saying in some places you cant clean it off in the water.
Of course if there is nothing considered toxic on the bottom, then it can be cleaned in the water, thats OBVIOUS.

That was the point I made about copper paint, even your saying in some places you cant clean it off in the water.

There is no state in the U.S. that bans the cleaning of copper-based anti fouling paints. There are some restrictions about the cleaning of ablative paints, but that's it.

Wish you'd tell us what your question really is rather than people going off in a million tangents. Are you talking in the water or on land? "Yard" vs. "Marina". What work specifically are you talking about other than bottom cleaning?

Lots of marinas and yards have restrictions on various things, based on how they're set up and their location.

"Lots of marinas and yards have restrictions on various things, based on how they're set up and their location."

Yes!!! lets isolate marinas from boat yards.

To me boat yards are for repair and maint , and marinas are for storing the boat or using it as a floating cottage.
No one wants to arrive at his marina for a weekend , next to an ongoing boat repair with noise , dust and chemical stinks.

This was part of email we received where Hobo is in Florida:

Quiet enjoyment of your boat and surroundings. This is important to us and we want to remind -- and require -- our DIY boaters that when working on projects to be a good neighbor and restrict noise-producing activities from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday-Friday, and to adhere to our "NO noise" policy on weekends. This means no power sanding, grinding, cutting, etc., unless working inside your vessel. In addition, please remember that we do not allow vendors on property on the weekends unless pre-arranged and approved by the Harbormaster. Obviously we are not a working boatyard, and if DIY projects become a nuisance we will ask boaters to relocate their vessel to a boatyard facility to complete their projects.

I own a marina in Seattle, and the City is very strict about environmental protection. I now forbid all power tools because a few previous tenants didn't think that dust and noise pollution rules applied to them.

I for one am glad that there are restrictions on putting toxic stuff into the water. I do not consider myself a far left leaning person, politically, but I am very much in favor of environmental laws and, unlike our current administration, the enforcement thereof. Small price to pay for a cleaner environment, more and healthier wildlife etc. doesn’t matter if you are red or blue, but everyone ought to get behind green — especially those like us who enjoy the great outdoors!

There is no state in the U.S. that bans the cleaning of copper-based anti fouling paints. There are some restrictions about the cleaning of ablative paints, but that's it.

Exactly. Here in WA you can't do any in-water hull cleaning of ablative paint. Hard paint is not a problem and most folks up here pay a diver to clean the hulls periodically. The max penalty for scrubbing ablative paint can reach 10 boat bucks.

My marina in Vancouver, BC, does not allow bottom cleaning in the water.

My marina in Vancouver, BC, does not allow bottom cleaning in the water.

A knee-jerk reaction (as is Washington's ban on the cleaning of ablative paints) made by ignorant people who base these decisions on assumptions, not fact.

Back
Top Bottom