Marina fire on Lake Union next to our old dock!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Boat and marina fires are always sad to see. Thankfully Seattle's fire boats are just around the corner.

Photos of the carnage....

Attachments

• IMG_2970.jpg
    IMG_2970.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_2971.jpg
    IMG_2971.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_2972.jpg
    IMG_2972.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_2973.jpg
    IMG_2973.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_2974.jpg
    IMG_2974.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 100
It seems as if there are a lot of marina fires in Seattle? If I remember correctly wasn't there a couple of fires in Lake Union over the past several years?

In my case...a liveaboard is much less likely to be the cause and more likely to be the savior in saving a bunch of nearby boats from a fire.

Yet liveaboards are frowned upon by many marinas, not understood by many governmental organizations and can be hit or miss for being on the good side of insurance policies.

Too bad there isn't a better yardstick for those who help the bating community versus those that hurt.

Not easy to do but it would be sweet.

It seems as if there are a lot of marina fires in Seattle? If I remember correctly wasn't there a couple of fires in Lake Union over the past several years?

There are lot of marinas that have boat houses or roofs over the docks in the PNW. There was a big fire in 2002 at the Seattle Yacht Club where 13 boats sank and 10 heavily damaged that included some classics. If I remember, the Yacht Club did some extensive upgrades with sprinkler systems after.

Unattended cadle?

Really?

Probably the latest 100 candles or more I have used burned low and went out on their own. Often before I wanted them to.

Gotta wait for the final and read how they managed to start fire on this one.

In my case...a liveaboard is much less likely to be the cause and more likely to be the savior in saving a bunch of nearby boats from a fire.

Yet liveaboards are frowned upon by many marinas, not understood by many governmental organizations and can be hit or miss for being on the good side of insurance policies.

Too bad there isn't a better yardstick for those who help the bating community versus those that hurt.

Not easy to do but it would be sweet.

The week before we left the Marina we had a close call with the boat next to ours. I woke up early as I usually do and was walking to the office and I could smell smoke, as I was looking for the source I discovered smoke Rollin out of the vents on the boat next door. I went and banged on the window to make sure the fella was not in there, I could not see more than 6 inches inside the boat, filled with smoke. I called the marina and things got real busy. I got my boat out of there real quick. Fire department was able to put out the smoldering clothes that were laying against a lamp. They got it under control before it flamed up.

Friction

Could it possibly have been a friction fire - you know, when the insurance policy rubs up against the mortgage?:angel: Still, a sad sight to see.

Marina Fire

When my daughter was in college a girl in her dorm, on another floor, lit a candle on her bookshelf and went to take a shower. Started the next shelf up on fire then swept the entire building. Fortunately nobody was injured but sure destroyed/damaged a lot of personal belongings. You think maybe a 14" candle on an 18" shelf?:facepalm:

I've concluded that berthing a boat under a roof raises the danger from fire.

I've concluded that berthing a boat under a roof raises the danger from fire.

I've concluded that candles in inappropriate locations are a bad idea. Then again, I already knew that..... a long time ago.

A condo boathouse burned in Bellngham Harbor three (I think) years ago. All 20 boats in the boathouse burned and sank and a liveaboard couple burned to death while calling for help on their mobile phone because they could not get out of their boat. Cause was an old and severely overloaded electrical system in the boathouse.

One result was the Port of Bellngham instituting a sprinkler requirement for all boathouses in the harbor.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom