Old 08-28-2015, 04:10 PM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Factory specifications and even deck plans are available on some models on their site. Now they did many variations so may not apply to a specific boat.

Grand Banks Yachts - Retired Models
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 05:31 PM   #22
Guru

It might be worth knowing that the 42 classic is known to have 50% more interior volume than the 36. These boats might look similar from afar but when moored next to each other, the 42 looks huge.

It would have been nice if GB had put bigger saloon doors on the 42C, but they look the same as the 36's. I actually had a guest that was wider than the door and he didn't even try to squeeze in.

So to those that are generously proportioned, I suggest a Europa.
mahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:00 PM   #23
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahal View Post
It might be worth knowing that the 42 classic is known to have 50% more interior volume than the 36.
Do you know if that same ratio in turn applies to the 46 to 42?

The reason for the original question is, with a keen interest in seeing and talking to as many 42s as possible, I often scoot down to the marina when I see one heading in only to discover it is really a 36.

At one point in the thread, we touched on the 46 and until one showed up a couple days ago I had not seen one in person. Even though the owner was more than happy to talk about his boat, I still didn't get to see inside.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:06 PM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Do you know if that same ratio in turn applies to the 46 to 42?
Sorry, I don't. But I doubt the difference is as great.
mahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:15 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahal View Post
I doubt the difference is as great.
Yeah, the 46 is only a few inches beamier as well.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:53 PM   #26

City: Port Moody
Vessel Name: Twilight1
Vessel Model: Permaglass Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
There have been a number of interior variations in the GB36 over the years, some of them very clever. One of our favorites is a port-side settee in the main cabin that has an insert that fits across the port doorway and a removeable panel in the aft main cabin bulkhead that creates a full-length berth on the port side using the settee and the top of the port hanging closet in the aft cabin.
Truly great minds think alike. One of the things I crave is a second stateroom without turning the aft end of Mokum into our bedroom. Ergo I am a sedan man looking for a five hole amidships to stash some bodies behind a door. Marin's description fits my plan almost praeternaturally. So there, a $2 word for boat miracle.

Anyway, in a Canoe Cove 37 I have a hanging closet about four feet deep, and behind it in the copious basement there is a miscellaneous space wherein I only have to remount some wiring conduit and - voila!

What clinches the deal for me is seeing the V berth insert and cushion, which I have no use for, stowed aboard as a bunk, and I can hang my Sunday suits in the interim as always - I have to think of my public...

Now I'm assuming that the bulkhead I have targeted is not a bearing wall...listen for my curses and prayers.
djones44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:16 PM   #27
Scraping Paint

City: -
Hawg--- I've crawled all over a GB46 Classic (tri-cabin) when my wife and I were seriously thinking of getting one a year or so after we got our GB36. I can tell you there is pretty much no comparison. The GB46 is much larger feeling (and IS much larger) then the GB36 and the GB42. You wouldn't think another four feet over the GB42 would make that much difference, but it makes a TON of difference. More difference, in my and my wife's opinion, than the six feet of difference between the GB36 and GB42.

Of all the GBs, the GB46 Classic galley down is our absolute favorite. If we were to decide to move up in the GB line from what we have now we would not even consider the GB42. We would go straight to the GB46.

The fellow who owned our boat before us did just that. He went from this first-generation fiberglass GB36 to a nearly-brand-new GB46. He didn't want to own two boats so as he was driving his new GB46 down the coast from Vancouver, BC to Alameda he radio-called a broker in Alameda and told him to unload the GB36.

That was the same day we walked into the GB dealer up here and why we got the boat for damn near free. Well, not quite but it was such a good deal we would have been nuts to pass it up even though GBs are not our favorite type of boat.

But in the GB lineup, in our opinion the GB46 is the one where the folks in Singapore got everything right.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:35 PM   #28
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
For a clear identifying difference that can be seen from a distance .... the break in the sheer line on the 36 is a tad bit aft of amidships whereas the break on the 42 is well ahead of midships.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:41 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
.... the break in the sheer line on the 36 is a tad bit aft of amidships...on the 42 is well ahead of midships.
Yes, thanks.
Marins pictures clearly show that.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:16 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
The GB46 is much larger feeling (and IS much larger) then the GB36 and the GB42. You wouldn't think another four feet over the GB42 would make that much difference, but it makes a TON of difference. More difference, in my and my wife's opinion, than the six feet of difference between the GB36 and GB42.
As usual, many thanks.
I guess the engine room would be a treat as well, even with big Cats in it?
Old 08-28-2015, 10:06 PM   #31
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
As usual, many thanks.
I guess the engine room would be a treat as well, even with big Cats in it?
I only went into the engine room of a GB46 Classic once. While you could go down through the main cabin sole as in our GB36, the primary way to enter it was through a small door behind or beside the steps going from the main cabin into the forecabin. It was not a standup engine room by any means, but it was a lot roomier than ours. I don't remember what that particular boat has for engines.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote