Many thanks to all who served...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roguewave

Guru
Vessel Name
bout’ time
Vessel Make
Grady White 282 Sailfish
thankvetsnow.jpg

USAF 4 years

Second that! No way that we can thank you enough.

Thank you Vets

Us vets appreciate those kind words. Even better, it got me a free piece of chocolate cake at Cracker Barrel today! :)

What I like best about veterans day is that the vast majority of us are silent about it. We dont need thanks for doing something we believe in.

Yeah, and thanks for putting it on the line for the protection of what so many take for granted.

As I sit here after another year and just poured myself a nice 3 fingers on a couple of rocks I say, To my fellow brothers and sisters who served and came back, thank you! To those that didn't, may you rest in peace. Your brothers in arm are still on watch.
I for one am grateful for the recognition that the American people are giving to those that have served, it wasent always like that.

And to our Allies that served, this may be America's day to pay respect to our veterans, but I thank you for serving by our sides and covering our butts.

Retired CPO USN 1972-1992

I'm awed every time I'm thanked for my service to this great country. I like many others came home from Viey Nam years ago to a very different reception. Today I'm often humbled by the thanks, the best so far was a youngster who thanked me for my service and stuck out his small hand to shake mine.
MCPO USN Retired

What I like best about veterans day is that the vast majority of us are silent about it. We dont need thanks for doing something we believe in.

Very true my friend.:thumb::thumb:

As I was getting out of my car this morning heading into the gym, a lady in a car in front of me said "thank you."
Frankly, I had no idea what she was talking about until she pointed at my contractors cap with the flag, that I wear all the time. I thanked her for her thoughts and went on about my business. Never much occurred to me.

Went into the local nutrition shop after working out.
They apparently had some sort of discounts on supplements and gear for vets going on.

There were two former Marines, both combat vets, a former Army guy and myself standing there talking, when one of the customers, another vet, asked if anyone was going to Applebees for the freebies?

The one younger Marine made me very proud with his response:
"No thanks. That's not why I signed up."
That young man made my day, and I told him so.

I'm awed every time I'm thanked for my service to this great country....the best so far was a youngster who thanked me for my service and stuck out his small hand to shake mine.
MCPO USN Retired

Well said Master Chief.
The small kids are the best:thumb::thumb:.
They're all heart.

Every year since my granddaughter has been in school, until this year, I've attended her schools Veteran's Day celebration at her request. Each year, they pick a different branch to represent, based upon their grade. Last year was the USMC, in which her biological father presently serves.

This year was the USCG (my service), and wouldn't you know it?
My daughter decides a week before (end of last semester) to start home schooling!:rolleyes: Needless to say, she missed the service (which is always moving):(

And she was so proud that she knew our hymn from start to finish!:thumb: She was humming it around the house all day today. That makes me proud...of her:D

All that crap said, thanks to everyone for their service.

OD

I'm not one who wears any kind of garb that shows I served my time, nor do I talk much about my time in the service. I also am not one who runs around on Veteran's Day scooping up freebies that companies offer as a "thanks" to vets.

Yesterday my wife and I took another couple and ventured out along the "Apache Trail" after lunch at Tortilla Flat. (Google both of them) After dropping off the other couple we decided to head to a Hurricane restaurant because they have great Grouper tacos.

When we got there we realized they were having some free entree's for Vets so I opted for the fish & chips. The waitress, a cute little lady in her 20's asked me if I had a military ID card. I said no, those were only issued to people who retired from the service and said I had left the USAF after my second enlistment was up. She said that was fine and placed our order.

At the end of what turned out to be a great fish dinner I tipped her generously and on the way out thanked her for the dinner. I told her I had two surprises that night--the first was the no-charge dinner, explaining to her that's not why we had come in, and the second that the dinner was so good.

She gave me a big hug and a kiss on the cheek and said "I'm glad you enjoyed the dinner. Thank you for your service."

What a great way to end a memorable day.

asked me if I had a military ID card. I said no, those were only issued to people who retired from the service and

FYI If you register with the VA you'll get a veteran's ID card. I keep mine in my wallet because it's good for 10% discount at Home Depot & Lowes.;)

I always get thanked for my service at Lowes when I present the card. I sometimes do at HD.

US Army 1971 - 1978

Last edited:
Guess I like the big deal made.....not so much for the attention personally...but other non-vets see it so when some clown decides to mouth off something negative, or how some GI/retiree benefit should be pared down or compared to some social handout...

I usually don't have to get involved, some good hearted citizen will jump In and tell Mr. Negative to go "F" him/herself.

Last edited:
Actually, I always feel a bit sheepish when someone "thanks me for my service." I feel that I do not deserve any special thanks. Growing up in my neck of the woods, joining the service was something young men did, or at least the ones in my socioeconomic group did anyway. Poor southern boys were born to serve.

I joined the day after my 17th birthday, and enjoyed every moment of it until I was discharged three years later. Got three good meals a day, had fun, good companionship, got to see the Frozen Chosen and Japan, and on top of all that they gave me some money each month!

And then the GI Bill helped me get a college education, and a good life.

So my reaction has always been: "Well, thanks, but really nothing to thank me for."

Lest anyone take this the wrong way, let me assure you that I am the first in line to thank those who paid a price for their service. It is just that I was lucky enough not to have to.

Late musings post Veteran's Day.

I have often pondered on the definition of who is a Veteran?

I served a 4 year Navy hitch, mostly in cushy postings, but did end up being just once in the wrong place at the wrong time and at the wrong end of a torpedo: Purple Heart.

Does this make me a Veteran?

In my mind, emphatically NO!

My personal experience does not even begin to hold a candle to those who have been under fire, day in and day out, during a protracted deployment in dangerous, hostile and too often fatal environments. (Not to mention those who did come home, but came home not whole, mentally or physically). My hat's off to them all.

Name your conflict: WWI, WWII, Vietnam, prior, post, ad infinitum.

But too many, too many.

Dewhatty, your a Veteran Purple Heart and all so when it's time to honor our flag you earned the right to salute the colors and accept the thanks of fellow Americans if for no other reason than for those who didn't make it back.
As far as too many conflicts they where wars politicians who never served call them conflicts.
Bill
MCPO USN Retired

I'm in GFC's camp. Unless you know me well or see the base tag in my windshield, I'm pretty well camoflaged for the civilian world - with one notable exception: I do roll out the grey ID card at Lowes and Home Depot. As to the occasional "Thank you for your service" - I politely respond, while thinking "Hell, I'd ship over tomorrow if they'd take me." Some folks regard the "Thanks ..." phrase as trite - you should have seen how that went during Viet Nam.

I guess 26 years was my allotted time. One of about 5,000 drafted into the USN in 1965 about 90 days after I dropped out of high school. Best thing that ever happened to this farm boy. But - I wasn't a grunt, only got shot at or rocketed a little bit for a little while on a few occassions, and saw the world.

The grunts have my everlasting respect and admiration. I don't know that I would have had what it takes. My hat's off (belatedly) to all the guys who did the heavy lifting.

Bill
Former ETCS(SS)
LCDR USN (Ret)

I'm sitting here at my comfortable and secure bedroom desk with my laptop on and watching the developments in Paris. Being relatively secure (surely compared to the rest of the world) in the past and present, I find myself more thankful to our vets than ever. Who knows about the future, but I sure am thankful for the now that so many vets have provided. For what they have faced, are facing now, thanks. For the future, ...thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Thanks to all. combat, peacetime, peacekeepers,all of you. If you were issued a uniform, you served to make sure everybody had a shot at the American dream.

I'm not one who wears any kind of garb that shows I served my time, nor do I talk much about my time in the service. I also am not one who runs around on Veteran's Day scooping up freebies that companies offer as a "thanks" to vets...

:thumb::thumb:
Hey, I've got a couple of USCG T's that I bought some years ago.
They make great workout gear:D

No freebies for this guy either. Well ok, I did take the discount on the supplements, but I was going to buy them anyway regardless.

The owner's father is former military and the shop supports both law enforcement and the military daily, not just on Veterans day or some LE appreciation day! :thumb:

When we got there we realized they were having some free entree's for Vets so I opted for the fish & chips. The waitress, a cute little lady in her 20's asked me if I had a military ID card. I said no, those were only issued to people who retired from the service and said I had left the USAF after my second enlistment was up. She said that was fine and placed our order.

That was nice of them, and brings up an interesting point.
I know I'm not the only one out there that doesn't have an ID, and hasn't bothered to register with the VA. While I do have a service related injury, I never felt it serious enough to warrant that. Without that, you have no way (without carrying around pay slips, orders, or a DD214), to prove your service. It was cool of them to honor your service :thumb:

My Navy son participated in the typhoon relief operations in the Phillipines a coupe years ago.

He was awarded a medal for his individual participattion and was confused about how and why medals are often awarded. He knew my background which included sitting on awards boards for years.

Bottom line I told him....take the award and smile.. I learned the process well enough to know...take them when you get them as you probably won't get one when you really deserve one.

Same with the veterans day thanks. Take it with a smile and if a freebie comes along, take it with pride and appreciation. People's feelings are hurt if they feel you are indifferent and they are serious. There was probably no one around thanking you when you most deserved it.

It was totally foreign to me to accept tips for towing people when I first got into assistance towing. At first I turned them down almost all the time till I realized that for many, I was insulting their appreciation. So now I just insist if I can tell I am probably better off in life than they are or if discussion reveals they too wore some kind of public service type uniform.

Heck, it's pretty wierd accepting praise and tips for a job done easily, on a sunny summer day on the water, doing something I love doing compared to my last career.....but I just take it and smile back with an equally or even more so "thank you"... :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom