Old 02-14-2011, 05:31 AM   #1

City: Homosassa River, FL
Vessel Name: Mango Mama
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36
Mango Mama’s maiden voyage?

Well, maybe not a voyage but it was the first time for Victoria and me to operate our Krogen Manatee 36 Mango Mama. We backed her out of the slip, took her across the river, and tied her up at Snead Island Boat Works to be hauled Monday. We learned a few things along the way.

It was a little breezy, blowing across the slip holding us off the finger pier. We spent some time figuring how to release the lines and setting them up to take with us since we were planning to come back to a different slip. The new headsets worked really well to help us communicate between me on the bridge and Victoria handling the lines on the lower aft deck. Friends offered to help but we asked them to stand by while we learned to handle it ourselves.

We removed the spring line and downwind stern line. The bow and port stern lines were looped so we could release one end and haul the lines on board. After I released the bow line, the bow thruster was very handy to keep the bow in position while Victoria released the stern line. I also used it to make the turn against the wind after we pulled out of the slip. I found that she responds well and seemed very maneuverable using the throttle and rudder.

Out in Manatee River, the wind and cool temperatures were a little brisk but the pilothouse was snug and warm. After years of sailing in open cockpits, it seemed a little surreal to be warm and secure and isolated so far above the water below. There was one other boat out, an Out Island 41 which we guessed was a new friend we met on F dock at Twin Dolphin Marina. They may have wondered what we were doing when we realized we had mistaken a marker and were headed for shallow water. A U-turn and a few meanders gave us time to figure it out and get back on course.

The approach to Snead Island Boat Works was unusual with deep water all the way requiring no channel or channel markers. There are a couple of no wake signs which we used as guides with a close eye on the depth sounder. We had been told to tie up to a pier that was perpendicular to our approach. Being overly cautious, I began the turn too early and ended parallel to the pier about 20 feet away. Rather than circle around, I chose to try a maneuver I had read about on line.

I set the rudder hard to port, so a short burst of forward would kick the stern to starboard. Periods of idling in reverse using the prop walk also crabbed the stern to starboard. The bow thruster was handy to push the bow to starboard. I only a few minutes I had maneuvered Mango Mama broadside to the pier so Victoria could throw a stern line around a piling. I did the same at the bow and we were secure. Naturally, there was no one around to applaud our success, but then, if there had been, it probably wouldn't have gone so well.

All in all, this short trip was a boost for our confidence in handling the boat. Im sure we have many more lessons ahead. We have a long list of items to spiff up Mango Mamas tired appearance. She has a lot of life left in her and she deserves a refreshing update. Well keep you posted.
GarryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:59 AM   #2
Doc
Guru

RE: Mango Mama’s maiden voyage?

You need to go over to A Dock at Twin Dolphin and meet my buddy, Cecil... 36' Carver Mariner.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:31 AM   #3
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
GarryP wrote:

They may have wondered what we were doing when we realized we had mistaken a marker and were headed for shallow water. A U-turn and a few meanders gave us time to figure it out and get back on course.
Garry, that is a somewhat tricky little channel coming out of Twin Dolphins Marina.* It looks wide open, but the channel moves almost across the river to Regatta Point.* Then angles back the other way.* Easily confused, especially if you had not brought the boat in.* Sounds like you are doing fine with it.

Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:53 PM   #4
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36

'I set the rudder hard to port, so a short burst of forward would kick the stern to starboard. Periods of idling in reverse using the prop walk also crabbed the stern to starboard."
I believe that maneuver is called back and fill. It is very useful!
Sounds like the first trip was a nice one, congrats! that is a great cruising area we hope to be around there end of March.
Steve W
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:23 AM   #5
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea

Gary: *You're an inspiration. *I think I'm gonna go out on Bucky today, and see-saw my way into the dock from 100 ft. or so. *Great report!
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote