Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 12:45 PM   #1
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Question Mandatory Dye Tablets for Your Black tank??

The Log Newspaper | California Boating & Fishing News - Oceanside-Harbor-weighs-dye-tablet-viability

Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Old 05-27-2014, 12:52 PM   #2
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I think she needs to explain this scientifically or maybe a high school diploma is necessary before speaking to the press...

"Thornton. After staging her business at the harbor for the past four years, she said she hardly sees anyone at the public pump out stations.
“For one 30 gallon tank of concentrated human waste dumped into that harbor, it’s like 10,000 people flush their toilet at home and it went into the water,” she said. "

Old 05-27-2014, 01:01 PM   #3
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
"My solution is a mandatory pump out,” Thornton said. “Every boat in the harbor should be pumped out once a month.”

She is making an inaccurate assumption that every head, in every boat is used once a month. Unless she is only talking liveaboards, then her idea has merit.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:07 PM   #4
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
I concentrate when "delivering" my waste but I don't think the waste itself is participating.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:17 PM   #5

City: Pacific Northwest
Vessel Name: Jacari Maru
Vessel Model: 2014 Ranger Tug R-27
Oceanside Harbor opens directly into the ocean. A three mile trip westward from the harbor puts the boat outside the 'no discharge' zone where holding tanks can be pumped legally.

A map of the harbor shows many restrooms available to the slips.

This looks like an attempt by a private business to generate income.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:20 PM   #6
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
But what does everyone think of the requirement (law) that you WILL put a dye tab in you head? I don't advocate dumping RAW waste within the 3nm zone, it just seems an over reach of government. Boats are the main polluters of a bay? Does the city or town dump sewage into the bay? What about those boaters that have gone and installed a marine sanitation system on their boat?
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Old 05-27-2014, 01:22 PM   #7
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
PS-that statement does not even need a HS diploma to refute. My low flo toilets at home use virtually the same water per flush as the heads on my boat. On the boat, the flush goes to a 100 gal holding tank. The tank is pretty much sealed so no, or very little, evaporation takes place. So how is the waste on the boat concentrated? My heads use about 1.6L per flush. In a 30 gallon tank, that would be about 71 flushes. The most efficient home toilets use about 1.3 Gal/flush. 10,000 flushes would be about 13,000 gallons. That gives a comparative concentration of about 433:1! A bit hard to believe.

I don't disagree with jurisdictions requiring pump outs (already required), or with them finding reasonable ways to enforce it. I don't even mind a jurisdiction finding that the most efficient way to do that is to pay a contractor to do it on a regular basis. Actually, I think that may be one of the cheaper, more efficient alternatives. I just think that a contractor wanting to feed at the public trough should use valid statistics.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:31 PM   #8
Guru

We live in Oceanside, CA and the marina is not the big tourist draw, it is the beach. It is imperative that the beach be kept open and free from fecal pollution. The marina has 95 live-aboards which is a large percentage for such a small marina. Being a city run operation, the dock-keeping standards are low with rusty bicycles, barbeques, torn canvas flapping in the breeze, etc. I prefer to drive 45 miles south to San Diego than drive 6 miles to this marina.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:36 PM   #9
Guru

Bingo...the horse I have in this race is I am installing an electrocsan unit...have purchased a salinity refractometer and salt additive so it will work anytime I'm in the ICW instead of just not worrying about it....a big PIA for boaters yet towns and industry aren't as easily targeted as a boater by a boarding officer or the ridiculous "dye" requirement.

If you want to pollute...it's easy. If you want to try and comply... it's hard....what's wrong with that picture?
Old 05-27-2014, 01:40 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancora View Post
We live in Oceanside, CA and the marina is not the big tourist draw, it is the beach. It is imperative that the beach be kept open and free from fecal pollution. The marina has 95 live-aboards which is a large percentage for such a small marina. Being a city run operation, the dock-keeping standards are low with rusty bicycles, barbeques, torn canvas flapping in the breeze, etc. I prefer to drive 45 miles south to San Diego than drive 6 miles to this marina.
the ridiculous thing is that those liveaboards that spend a grand or so to get a electroscan system would actually be helping to clean up the water by purifying it beyond many standards...

Yet I'll bet the bay is more polluted from other sources and the boaters are the easy target.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:41 PM   #11
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. ASD. I have no problem what-so-ever with mandatory dye additions, close monitoring or strict application of the law. Not really a big deal to add once a month or every pump out. I had a transient boat beside me last year who left his slip before I woke up and his present to me was floating in the empty slip. THOSE are the kind of bastards I'd love to see dinged with a $5K to $10K fine. Responsible boaters I know wouldn't even think of dumping inshore. I know nothing about marine treatment systems so I can't comment.
Just had a thought...How about spitting the fine with the reporter? $5K for me, $5K for the state...
Old 05-27-2014, 01:52 PM   #12
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Mandatory pumpouts made a huge and very visible difference in Boot Key Harbor (Marathon, FL), as well as many harbors on Long Island Sound, and even in Westport Harbor MA, which has a very swift ebb current, being a river, and is not a year around harbor. . The only proven way of accomplishing this that I know of is to have a pump out boat come on a scheduled basis and pump you out whther you are on board or not. Cost of which is included in the mooring fee.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
Old 05-27-2014, 02:04 PM   #13
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Mandatory pumpouts every month? Most/many boats aren't even boarded by their owners even once a month!!

My $30 monthly pumpouts (the pumpout company only services our marina once a month) extract between five to twenty gallons at a time, and I do extra flushes just to put more water in the 35-gallon holding tank.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:10 PM   #14
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
"Thornton. After staging her business at the harbor for the past four years, she said she hardly sees anyone at the public pump out stations.
“For one 30 gallon tank of concentrated human waste dumped into that harbor, it’s like 10,000 people flush their toilet at home and it went into the water,” she said. "
A 30 gallon tank holds about 40 flushes if you are lucky, not 10,000. The waste is not any more concentrated than gal/flush household toilet.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:13 PM   #15
Guru

City: Georgia
But, you guys (and gals) are "yacht owners", and y'all are loaded. So you can afford a few coins a day to help out a poor struggling artist, err, the environment, yeah, help out the environment, that's the ticket.

I suspect the many more smaller day use boats, trailerables, runabouts, jet skis, pontoons, etc are the cause more pollution than all the sailboats, trawlers, and mega yachts on the water.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:19 PM   #16
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Here's the solution.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1401225489.899068.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	30217

No pesky holding tank to harm the environment. Come to think of it this may have been RT's transient neighbor.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
Old 05-28-2014, 05:39 AM   #17
FF
Guru

Here's the solution.

What no magazine rack?
Old 05-28-2014, 11:51 AM   #18
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Craig I see the dinghy has been launched.

North Western Washington State USA
Old 05-28-2014, 12:19 PM   #19
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Mandatory pumpouts made a huge and very visible difference in Boot Key Harbor (Marathon, FL), as well as many harbors on Long Island Sound, and even in Westport Harbor MA, which has a very swift ebb current, being a river, and is not a year around harbor. . The only proven way of accomplishing this that I know of is to have a pump out boat come on a scheduled basis and pump you out whther you are on board or not. Cost of which is included in the mooring fee.

That looks like the solution to me. Include it in the dock fee-

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Lehman 135 Twins
Old 05-28-2014, 12:26 PM   #20
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
But what does everyone think of the requirement (law) that you WILL put a dye tab in you head? I don't advocate dumping RAW waste within the 3nm zone, it just seems an over reach of government. Boats are the main polluters of a bay? Does the city or town dump sewage into the bay? What about those boaters that have gone and installed a marine sanitation system on their boat?
If someone can figure out a not-too-bureaucratic way to administer, I would be all for it. My marina has over 5,000 boats and nothing but the honor system to prevent people from pumping overboard. The problem is, no one has come up with a good way to make sure the dye gets put in the tank, since boats are coming and going all the time.

Mandatory pump outs may be the best approach, but monthly isn't enough for live aboards.

Closed Thread