Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 09:07 AM   #81
Guru

City: Georgia
I saw a pontoon boat a while back that a seat in the back corner opened up and you extended a shower curtain type system (to hide the white fannies) and there was a porta-potty there. Easy to lift out and dump - legally at a facility, usually that meant in a toilet somewhere - or illegally in the water sometime before heading to the dock or trailer.

How do you mandate that boaters not have a discharge port? How many of you installed a through-hull since buying your boat? DIY. It's more than a monogram. DIY turns ordinary humans into monsters with power tools. How long before teh factory built, non-discharge boat had an owner installed through-hull discharge system?

Old 05-30-2014, 10:53 AM   #82
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
With our Tolly having two fully equipped master and forward cabin heads the following was simple (I had much of this accomplished by a certified Raritan installation expert):

Forward head got a brand new top o’ the line 30 gal holding tank. That toilet’s off boat drain is capped closed. The holding tank can only be emptied via pump-out evacuation. With my own set up of instantly adjustable incoming raw-water flow I have the usual raw-water amount utilized per fecal matter flush at approx 1 quart. Urine flush at approx 1/2 pint raw-water + volume of urine. That gives us many flushes between pump outs.

Master head’s toilet has Raritan LectraSan with my same set up for low volume raw-water usage.

Needless to say: #2 “solid excrements” are ONLY allowed to occur in forward head. Vast majority of #1 “fluid releases” are forward head too. We pump-out forward head’s holding tank at dock side during fueling and/or we call one of the area pump-out boats to stop by while we are on the hook for complete evacuation of the holding tank. Fuel docks are free but require my effort... traveling pump-out boat costs $40. Pump out boat is much appreciated as they take just minutes, do a great job including extra flush of inside the tank, and I don’t have to lift a finger! Also, they always give us ample bio degradable packets to keep the tanks contents in check until next evacuation becomes needed.

This set up of head capabilities allows us to be substantially proactive toward best ways for helping to keep our waters clean. It also means that if in worst circumstances the holding tank became toooo full or either head’s toilet became compromised that there is still a “clean” option on board for “daily doings” that may be required by Captain, crew, or passengers.

I’m no saint, and I don’t mean to request other boaters to try and be too saintly either. Of my posts on this thread I simply mean to ask all boaters to do what they feel is best for helping to keep our waters as clean as possible from receiving raw, untreated human excrement! Every little bit helps...

Happy Boating (swimming in our clean delta water) Daze! - Art

Old 05-30-2014, 11:56 AM   #83
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Good conversation on a boat related subject!
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Old 05-30-2014, 12:06 PM   #84
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
Only putting Urine in a holding tank will result in a major odor issue. Fecal matter and it's Microbes are what makes a holding tank not stink. I'm not trying to embarrass anyone but the science of a properly working holding tank (type III) requires poo or poop to virtually eliminate odors.
Bill
Old 05-30-2014, 12:22 PM   #85
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billylll View Post
Only putting Urine in a holding tank will result in a major odor issue. Fecal matter and it's Microbes are what makes a holding tank not stink. I'm not trying to embarrass anyone but the science of a properly working holding tank (type III) requires poo or poop to virtually eliminate odors.
Bill
Agreed, Billy!

Also, implanting really good microbe enhancers into tanks after every pump-out is important... and, if time lingers on, don't be afraid to add more enhancers between evacuations for good measure. Additionally - it is well worth the extra bucks to get tanks and feed lines made of the very best materials and installed having best clamps and in the best types of interactive elevations. There can be nothing much worse than a holding tank arangement that begins to fail - or God Forbid! - fails completely into bilge - - YUCKKKK!
Old 05-30-2014, 12:50 PM   #86
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Also, my pumpout vendor recommends flushing a load of vinegar and vegetable oil periodically.

https://www.baygreen.net/holding-tan...ce-monthly.php
Old 05-30-2014, 01:28 PM   #87
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Also, my pumpout vendor recommends flushing a load of vinegar and vegetable oil periodically.

https://www.baygreen.net/holding-tan...ce-monthly.php
Interesting...
Old 05-30-2014, 02:00 PM   #88
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Agreed, Billy!

Also, implanting really good microbe enhancers into tanks after every pump-out is important... and, if time lingers on, don't be afraid to add more enhancers between evacuations for good measure. Additionally - it is well worth the extra bucks to get tanks and feed lines made of the very best materials and installed having best clamps and in the best types of interactive elevations. There can be nothing much worse than a holding tank arangement that begins to fail - or God Forbid! - fails completely into bilge - - YUCKKKK!
I had a total failure of a 30 gallon Aluminum holding tank in my Mainship 40SB shortly after purchasing her. I still remember the day we removed the tank to find a 2" yellow slick of crust in the forward bilge under her. 2 of the helpers had to leave the boat and puke. I replaced the Aluminum fresh water tanks and the holding tank with the highest quality Todd Poly tanks. The waste hoses are SeaLands best. The bilge had to be scraped clean, disinfected and then finally given a couple of coats of gray bilge coat after it was dried out and given numerous bleach baths. I'm a huge fan or OdorLOS.
Bill
Old 05-30-2014, 02:49 PM   #89

Quote:
I wonder if I could recycle leftover steak marinade for this...

Dave
Old 05-30-2014, 02:55 PM   #90
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbus View Post
I wonder if I could recycle leftover steak marinade for this...

Dave
Just use Wishbone Italian dressing on your salads it'll hit the head eventually.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:29 PM   #91
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
That sounds like a recipe for salad dressing.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:57 PM   #92
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
The idea of putting oil in a marine toilet is a hold over from the days of leather cups in the pumps. The idea was to keep the leather from hardening. It really has no relevance today. If you have a manual piston type toilet, a little silicone grease on the rubber parts once a year should keep it working fine.
Old 05-31-2014, 12:35 AM   #93
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
Here in Santa Cruz, the highest bacteria counts are where the municipal sewer plant is (but allegedly discharges a mile out. ha ha), and the beaches where the birds hang out during the summer. The harbor is small, and has a pumpout, and has a safe level of toxins.
Water Quality Site
I wish I could figure out how to find earlier data, because I know when it starts raining, the rivers pump out all sorts of nastiness and it reflects in the sampling during those periods.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:06 AM   #94
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Art, here is our solution to the problem. Moonstruck cruises in different areas. In the Bahamas there are few pump out facilities. I think they depend on the tides sweeping across the Banks to flush out pollutant. From Biscayne Bay to Key West (and probably Garden Key} there is a zero discharge zone.

Here is what we installed.

Raritan Engineering | Waste Treatment | Hold n' Treat

We did not do the installation as shown with Raritan's dinky holding tank. We have a 70 gal. holding tank, and use it. This gives us the flexibility to pump over treated sewage, or turn off and lock the system for holding tank use. We looked at it several different ways, and this seemed best for us.

Key West has mandatory pump outs.
Don, that looks like a good system, but the only problem I see is that I would rather not discharge anything, including treated waste in a harbor although I am probably being overly picky. It looks like your installation avoids that. Do you know the maximum size tank you can use if installed like you have?

So much depends on location. In my opinion, those who discharge sewage in harbors, fresh water, shallow water or close into shore should be put in stocks. In the PNW north to Alaska the situation is rather different than it is in the shallow waters of Florida, SF Bay, etc. because 1. there aren't any pumpouts up north, 2. the water is DEEP and 3. the currents are significant.

Though many object to the idea, Puget Sound is actually nitrogen starved and the deposition of sewage randomly off shore underway is likely highly beneficial. This is very different from point sources of pollution from leaking septic tanks or the old practice of municipalities simply dumping raw sewage a couple hundred feet offshore. The City of Victoria used to do exactly that with a line that ran out to Race Rocks and although because of the swift currents and deep water I don't think there was ever any measurement of pollution made, the City was shamed into ceasing the practice, or at least I think that is the case. That was probably a triumph of politics over reason, but the point is that what is a rational solution in one place is completely crazy and a waste of everyone's money and time elsewhere.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:41 AM   #95
Guru

I have the same system on both of my boats. The H-N-T controls a Raritan PuraSan on each vessel. There is no upper limit to the holding tank size. The unit treats about 1.5 gallons per cycle. It has a cool down period, the controller is fairly complex. I am using it with a 36 gallon tank on my Mainship and a 45 gallon holding tank on the Gulfstar.
Bill
Old 05-31-2014, 10:51 AM   #96
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
There is no limit on the size of holding tank the system will work with. However there is a "pressure sensing" tube that inserts to the top of the tank that activates the system when on automatic. I think Raritan could make a tube to what ever length would be required. After measuring, we cut the tube at 3/4" off the bottom.

With our 70 gal. holding tank we can hold for about two weeks of steady use while in the harbor. I have two ways of locking the system off. The control panel in the head has a keyed switch. and I can lock the macerator breaker in the off position. Nobody else knows where I keep that key. A tank gauge in the head keeps me abreast of the level.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Old 05-31-2014, 11:01 AM   #97
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
The City of Victoria used to do exactly that with a line that ran out to Race Rocks and although because of the swift currents and deep water I don't think there was ever any measurement of pollution made, the City was shamed into ceasing the practice, or at least I think that is the case. That was probably a triumph of politics over reason, but the point is that what is a rational solution in one place is completely crazy and a waste of everyone's money and time elsewhere.
Nope. They still dump. Very contentious plan.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:13 AM   #98
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Nope. They still dump. Very contentious plan.

Yet govt. Canada wanted us to keep accurate records of holding tank pumping to prove we boaters didn't dump.. while the entire city of Victoria dumps direct... anybody see the joke here?

I have always dumped when 3m+ offshore and will continue to do so.

HOLLYWOOD
Old 05-31-2014, 11:22 AM   #99
Guru

City: NC
When I lived in Broward county FLA decades ago, the county was dumping treated waste water in the Gulf Stream. This was bad somehow and the dumping had to stop but where to put the treated waste water?

The county decided to pump the treated waste water thousands of feet down into an aquifer....

The aquifer was not used for drinking water, and if my memory is correct, the aquifer water was not drinkable, but pumping millions of gallons of treated waste water into an aquifer just does not seem to be the right thing to do.

Later,
Dan
Old 05-31-2014, 11:31 AM   #100
Guru

Even when I'm 3 miles off shore I dump treated waste from the Raritan H-N-T and the PuraSan. I can only remove waste using 2 methods, the deck pump out and through the treatment system.
Bill

Closed Thread