Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 06:19 PM   #61
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
If this is such a good idea, I have a better one - Record every person's fingerprints and DNA at birth. That way, if they break the law they can be identified and caught.

It's funny (not really) that we elect people to "represent us" and once they assume office they suddenly are smarter than the rest of us and know what's good for us.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:30 PM   #62

City: Riverside
The dye tablet is a proposal for Oceanside harbor and a few more, and it is intended for in the harbor to the 3 mile limit. I do not personally know of a dumping problem in the harbor only hearsay. BUT, there must be some complaints if people are pushing for this unless it is only the other pump out service trying to get more revenue generated as to that I strongly disagree to that approach and hope for the best outcome for all involved.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:36 PM   #63
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpbug View Post
The dye tablet is a proposal for Oceanside harbor and a few more, and it is intended for in the harbor to the 3 mile limit. I do not personally know of a dumping problem in the harbor only hearsay. BUT, there must be some complaints if people are pushing for this unless it is only the other pump out service trying to get more revenue generated as to that I strongly disagree to that approach and hope for the best outcome for all involved.
Yes, but once something like that gets hold one place it will spread all over. People shouldn't be discharging sewage in the harbor but treating everyone like criminals is a bad solution.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:26 PM   #64

I will agree with that but how do you catch the bad ones ? Think about the divers who clean the bottom of your boats, the people who swim off the back of their boats in dock, the paddle boards, kayaks, and others in the harbor who may come into contact with that water.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:27 PM   #65
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
Quote:
I will agree with that but how do you catch the bad ones ? Think about the divers who clean the bottom of your boats, the people who swim off the back of their boats in dock, the paddle boards, kayaks, and others in the harbor who may come into contact with that water.
What it's how many millionth's to one or parts per million are you kidding? You catch the bad ones in the act with camera phones there are many ways to report and record illegal waste discharge.
Bill
Old 05-29-2014, 07:49 PM   #66
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. lll. "What it's how many millionth's..." Seems that was the attitude 100 years ago and how did that work out?
Old 05-29-2014, 08:39 PM   #67
Guru

Lectrosans are illegal here in "pristine water" California. I had one, but got rid of it due to the enormous maintenance costs.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:56 PM   #68
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancora View Post
Lectrosans are illegal here in "pristine water" California. I had one, but got rid of it due to the enormous maintenance costs.
They are not "illegal" they just can not discharge directly overboard in NDZs

which are. in Calif...(not the entire state)..

• <LI abp="230">Avalon Bay Harbor (Los Angeles County) <LI abp="231">Dana Point Harbor (Orange County) <LI abp="232">Lake Tahoe (Placer & El Dorado Counties) <LI abp="233">Oceanside Harbor (San Diego County) <LI abp="234">San Diego Bay (San Diego County) <LI abp="235">Upper and Lower Newport Bay (Orange County) <LI abp="236">Channel island Harbor (Ventura County) <LI abp="237">Huntington Harbor (Orange County) <LI abp="238">Mission Bay (San Diego County) <LI abp="239">Richardson Bay (Marin County)
  • Sunset Bay (Orange County)
http://www.coastal.ca.gov/ccbn/sewage.html
Old 05-29-2014, 09:13 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billylll View Post
What it's how many millionth's to one or parts per million are you kidding? You catch the bad ones in the act with camera phones there are many ways to report and record illegal waste discharge.
Bill
I can't imagine that someone is dumb enough to discharge during broad daylight when people are around to take pictures and video tape. Might be a few but if they dump in the middle of the night it has time to move around to other areas and maybe bunch up in other areas of the harbor near someone else's boat or dock, how much is ok next to your boat? . . . . Geeee thank's for the present.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:39 PM   #70
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
If any Captain/family/crew feels it is proper to dump un treated fecal matter from a boat into the water rather than use a pump-out... then why waste cost of head and holding tank? Stick ya arses over the gunnels and let it fly!

I'm surely not the oldest here and by no means the youngest - but - 1950's / 60's NY Bay, LI South Shore inland harbors, Boston Harbor, Flushing Bay, and many other east coast waters were putrid from land and boat raw discharge. In bays where boats were anchored in close proximity and BIG rafts of many boats (15 to 40 crafts) became established the water looked like a sewer with floating turds and TP as it too often stayed on the surface. We’d shoot at em with BB and pellet guns! Kids will be kids.

That was yester year (mid 20th Century)! This is 2014 (Q1 of 21st Century)!! Let's get serious about keeping all our waters clean. Boat holding tanks, proper sewage treatments, and pump-outs in lieu of flushing untreated solid fecal effluents into our waters is just part of the answer... but... a thoughtful and correct part it is!

Don’t Dump It – Pump IT!!

Happy Clean Water Daze! - Art
Old 05-29-2014, 10:02 PM   #71
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
I can't imagine that someone is dumb enough to discharge during broad daylight when people are around to take pictures and video tape. Might be a few but if they dump in the middle of the night it has time to move around to other areas and maybe bunch up in other areas of the harbor near someone else's boat or dock, how much is ok next to your boat? . . . . Geeee thank's for the present.
There are some pretty dumb people around.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:35 AM   #72
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
+1 That's what we use in our current boat and the Gulfstar is getting them same system only a larger type III.
Bill

We have a hold n treat as well.
Excellent product!
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
Old 05-30-2014, 04:59 AM   #73
FF
Guru

RV in the past had 2 discharge systems and tanks.Grey and Black

The grey water was discharged out a pipe so items like a house could be run plugged in at the campsite to water and sewer and power.

Boondocking the grey (sink shower waste) was frequently just drained to the ground , however the reality of the number of pathogens in grey water soon demanded grey tanks..

The black water (toilet waste) is only drained when 3/4 full or better to assure the semi solids would be carried out with the rush of water.

Even then, sometimes the black would solidify and stay stuck in the black tank.

RV toilets have about a 2 1/2 in opening straight down to the tank so 20 lbs of ice in a just emptied tank and a drive would restore liquification.

Holding tanks on boats is all good fun , but with locations in the NE like New Rochelle , having >emergencies< every year for 40 years in a row , where millions of gallons a day are dumped for a month or more make the concept a big joke.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:34 AM   #74
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. lll. "What it's how many millionth's..." Seems that was the attitude 100 years ago and how did that work out?
Dolphins poop in the water. Whales poop in the water. Fish poop in the water. Birds poop in the water. Various other wild and domestic animals poop near the water and rain or flooding brings it into the water. What about that poop?

Diluted by enough water, poop is harmless.

You know, the government allows X parts per million rat poop in grain. X parts per million of chemicals or pharmaceuticals in city water. 100% pure in anything is pretty much unattainable or at least very expensive.

I'm not advocating folks dumping their sewage in enclosed harbors or swimming areas, but a little ground up human poop mixed in in millions of gallons of flowing water is just a drop in the bucket compared to what nature has already put there.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:40 AM   #75
Guru

But harbors are really what we're talking about as the primary issue. Which brings to question this, if you saw a boat in the harbor, maybe the slip or mooring beside you even, discharging illegally, what would you say or do?
Old 05-30-2014, 06:50 AM   #76
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
But harbors are really what we're talking about as the primary issue. Which brings to question this, if you saw a boat in the harbor, maybe the slip or mooring beside you even, discharging illegally, what would you say or do?
It starts with harbors then next thing you have NDZ's all over the place. I have no issue with NDZ's if they were modified to allow discharge in boats outfitted with type I & II treatment systems. It's the lack of logic and science (the miss-use of) that politicians use that troubles me.
Ron you are 100% correct your actually talking about trillions of gallons of water what part of that number do illegal discharges really contribute to the high numbers stated by politicians? You are 100% correct I don't see politicians attacking farmers (a big contributor) and shooting animals that sh&t all over marinas. There are times my wife doesn't even want to walk down our marinas docks because of the Seagull crap. Where does that crap go? It gets hosed off the docks right into the water.
Bill
Old 05-30-2014, 06:57 AM   #77
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
A great example of how the system is broke is look at North Carolina.

The NDZ stretches from below Moorhead City to Wilmington and down to S. Carolina. The vast majority of the area is well flushed 2X a day by tides. But there are large concentrations of bathers at densely populated tourist beaches. It will be interesting to see if the bacteria levels will decrease if/when strict enforcement happens.

Yet in the poorly flushed waters behind Hatteras (Alb & Pam sounds)...no NDZ.

Go figure.....

I'm all for the no raw sewage stuff..but the NDZ stuff baffles me other than it falling into the general category of politics driven legislation.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:04 AM   #78
Guru

Quote:
It starts with harbors then next thing you have NDZ's all over the place. I have no issue with NDZ's if they were modified to allow discharge in boats outfitted with type I & II treatment systems. It's the lack of logic and science (the miss-use of) that politicians use that troubles me.
Ron you are 100% correct your actually talking about trillions of gallons of water what part of that number do illegal discharges really contribute to the high numbers stated by politicians? You are 100% correct I don't see politicians attacking farmers (a big contributor) and shooting animals that sh&t all over marinas. There are times my wife doesn't even want to walk down our marinas docks because of the Seagull crap. Where does that crap go? It gets hosed off the docks right into the water.
Bill
I just don't subscribe to the thought that because there is lots of waste going into the water, we don't need to reduce any we easily can. Cleaning air, water or any resource doesn't happen with just one action. It's the cumulative effect of everything done over many years. If you lived on land and your neighbor pumped their sewage into your yard or even the street in front of the houses, you'd not be happy at all. And just because "they do it" doesn't mean "we should."

I personally choose not to dump, even treated in marinas and harbors. And to make it clear I'm not an environmentalist who really does much for the environment so I'm making no overall claims. This is just one we find easy.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:18 AM   #79
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I would (and do) say "Hi *****, how was your trip?" Yep, he comes back, docks his boat and empties his holding tank. You would think he would do it on the way back up the river but what do I know? He's a friend so I'm not going to turn him in. He has been boating in this area all his life and has been at the marina longer than I have.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:45 AM   #80
Guru

Define "lots of waste" it's a subjective number. Ron I wouldn't turn in anyone because I subscribe to the theory that a beach full of young children has more fecal waste discharged into the beach area than any boats illegally dumping. Like you I'm no narc I personally wouldn't turn anyone in that was a recreational/ non commercial boater.
Bill
Closed Thread