https://www.passagemaker.com/trawler...MsckCv27Jjrf3g

menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:39 AM   #2
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Caroliner
Vessel Model: 28' Spira San Miguel
Thanks for the heads up.

Note to self, bypass NY on my way north and allow for plenty of shoreline clearance.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:45 AM   #3
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Another way to get more money.
If the state insists, I think it should apply EVERYONE afloat be it a powered water craft, sailboat, paddle board and canoes and anyone using a flotation device.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:45 AM   #4
Guru

City: North Carolina
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Vessel Model: Great Harbour N37
Nice to see an N37 on the cover!!!
m/v SCOUT Projects Page
boathealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 09:10 PM   #5
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Doesn't apply to sailboats but my 8MPH go-fast trawler, yes, even though some saiboats under power go faster. The ignorance of lawmakers can never be underestimated. Oh, I didn't know that New Jersey requires out-of-staters to pass a test. Ignorance is bliss, I guess. Still, when the time comes for me in 2025, if I am still on the water, I will be a scofflaw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
catalinajack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 09:17 PM   #6
Guru

City: Boston Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
... some saiboats under power go faster.....
There's no such thing as a sailboat under power....that's a power boat with a mast.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 11:50 PM   #7
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Wonder what the effect will be on half of the population having less than average intelligence. Lots of people do not do well passing written tests, but are intelligent otherwise.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:59 PM   #8
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
There's no such thing as a sailboat under power....that's a power boat with a mast.
Wonder how the law is drawn. If the legislature had any intelligence, any vessel with an engine would be subject, including auxiliary sailboats, those with
often having outboard engines like skiffs and dinghys, and so on.
Old 08-10-2019, 12:53 AM   #9
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
In WA, the boater education requirement applies for anyone operating a boat with a 15hp motor or more. That, of course, includes sailboats with at least a 15hp motor.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 04:58 AM   #10
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
Oh, I didn't know that New Jersey requires out-of-staters to pass a test. Ignorance is bliss, I guess. Still, when the time comes for me in 2025, if I am still on the water, I will be a scofflaw.
NJ honors other states certificates as long as it is a NASBLA member state. They rarely even look and if so you need to be in state >60 days. Not a big deal for cruisers.
How many are cruising without sitting through an 8+ hour boating safety course of almost any type? Practically zero.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 06:48 AM   #11

City: PNW/Seattle-ish
Vessel Name: M/V Peter Iredale ;)
Vessel Model: rusting hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
In WA, the boater education requirement applies for anyone operating a boat with a 15hp motor or more. That, of course, includes sailboats with at least a 15hp motor.
IDK what the east coast laws are now (moved west 15 years ago), but I have to say the WA law seemed fair. Free course/test on-line, $10 for a lifetime license, grandfathered if born ~'55 or earlier.

The WA law, like you said, covered motor vessels w/o regard to length, mast, etc. and seemed reasonable.
Civilitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 06:49 AM   #12
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Wonder what the effect will be on half of the population having less than average intelligence. Lots of people do not do well passing written tests, but are intelligent otherwise.
If they have instructors like me (I did it for 15 years or so)...they pass...unless they are also clueless about boating.

And no... I never GAVE a certificate out...they all passed the required exam....some maybe they took a little longer than the allowed hour...but I gave some them some slack as I thought the questions were worded poorly.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 06:57 AM   #13
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
How many are cruising without sitting through an 8+ hour boating safety course of almost any type? Practically zero.

Based on the responses, quite a few.

My feeling is that if preventing you from endangering others with your boat is “intrusive and onerous”, oh well, suck it up. You don’t get to run around endangering me and others. If you want to operate a boat, it comes with a set of obligations that you need to live up to, and these laws are requiring you to do that in the most minimal way. They are long over due, in my opinion. And if you already know everything about being a safe boated, demonstrate it by taking any one of the tests and getting the card.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:17 AM   #14
Guru

Ct has had a lisence requirement for many years.
Not sure it has done much good from my observations.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 08:34 AM   #15

City: St James City/Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: Charlie Noble
Vessel Model: 32 Nordic Tug
Would a Captains license exempt you from having to take this course? Does a license exempt a captain in NJ. Or other states requiring training?
I do believe training is long over due especially with the new fade of trying to fit as many high horsepower outboard engines as they can on to a center console boat or pontoon boats. We have seen overload pontoon boats with 800 hp and lots of beer being consumed.

As I'm sure we all have , I have seen to many close calls.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:45 AM   #16
Guru

Yes, in NJ a USCG license counts, but you have to have the document handy...would suspect all states would accept it.

https://www.njsp.org/marine-services...tificate.shtml
Old 08-10-2019, 09:07 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Yes, in NJ a USCG license counts, but you have to have the document handy...would suspect all states would accept it.

https://www.njsp.org/marine-services...tificate.shtml
On our trip we did not know NJ required anything but I did have my license on board. Of course we still have not recieved our Documentation from the CG, so we were dreading the thought of a boarding anywhere. Luckily we had no such event, not even on the Chesapeake.
The new licenses resemble a passport in size, so they are much easier to take along.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:15 AM   #18

City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pelorus
Vessel Model: Californian 42 LRC
In Wa (yes, I know, this thread is about NJ) a license counts. If avoiding state licensing / training requirements were all I wanted a USCG license for I'd go for the six pack.

Do keep in mind that the holder of a USCG credential will be held to a higher standard in the event of collision / casualty etc than a non licensed recreational boater. Even if you are not at the time of the incident operating under your credential. Yes, that's in the CFRs. No I can't cite it, I came across it some time ago when researching the CFRs on another matter.
Portage_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 09:28 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portage_Bay View Post

Do keep in mind that the holder of a USCG credential will be held to a higher standard in the event of collision / casualty etc than a non licensed recreational boater. Even if you are not at the time of the incident operating under your credential. Yes, that's in the CFRs. No I can't cite it, I came across it some time ago when researching the CFRs on another matter.
And rightfully so. The best rule of boating is your first priority is to avoid a collision, whether you are the stand on vessel or not.

So stay as far away from them other boaters as you can.
Old 08-10-2019, 10:07 AM   #20
Guru

I have been through the CFRs quite a bit researching for teaching licensing courses.

I have NEVER seen a reference to whether a captain is held to any standard except which our legal or USCG administrative system normally follows.

Loosely interpreted.... any court or administrative body can sanction you for something you did or didn't do. But I know of no specifics against a captain not actively needing his/her license to be held to any exceptional standard.

You are responsible for the rules of the road whether licensed or not and will be judged accordingly. There are all sorts of stories where the license either helped or hurt...but I have not read any transcripts of actual cases where a captains license or status was canges when on a recreational vessel whether as owner/captain or passenger. Possible?... sure I guess...but I would like to see some hard facts eventually.

I truly would like hard evidence or links as I often am asked about this very topic.