Managing Type 2 Diabetes aboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was recently diagnosed (75 yo male) with Type 2 diabetes, that as of now can be regulated with diet and exercise, so no meds at this time. I'd be interested in any suggestions or personal experiences as to how you managed this ailment while aboard. Also, how did you stock your galley and what food choices worked best for you. We have a small pneumatic stair stepper and exercise bands aboard our 42' flybridge cruiser. We'll be traveling down the ICW from the Chesapeake to Florida in a few months, so won't be far from land and groceries. Thanks.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/J7dn2m9TTVCHkEWcQ4kshg.Pg5Bf77brdOWaxOrZRTVcV

Hi Truant,

Don't know what your lifestyle entails however, many of our more affluent patients that have reached retirement age tend to settle into a more sedentary lifestyle that often includes a "couple" daily cocktails and rich foods. While I admit to enjoying my rums I do offset this with regular exercise and activities. Biking, hiking, walking, peddle kayaking are all options for the cruiser and 75 is hardly over the hill these days.
Many processed foods are quite sugar heavy so I avoid, also soda and other sweetened beverages are verboten. I drink natural juices and lots of coconut water but those are some of the perks of my country of residence.
Long and short of it, drop some girth, eliminate excess sugars, develop a regular exercise routine and closely monitor your blood sugar, diabetes is nothing to play with.

As someone who has worked with Diabetic patients for over 25 years and have studied the disease for that long, I can tell you the following:
1) Diet and exercise (with significant weight loss) will lower your blood sugar and can sometimes potentially eliminate the need for medicine.
2) You sometimes cannot out exercise your genes. Some type 2 diabetics will have diabetes no matter how much exercise or diet they put into it. Genetically, your predisposition can be very strong. If you need meds to control your blood sugar, take them!! The complications of long term high blood sugar are devastating (dialysis, blindness, nerve damage, heart attacks, leg amputations, etc., etc..).
3). Low carb diets work and can become a lifestyle. Beneficial for blood sugar and weight.
4). Newer meds for type 2 diabetes are better than old meds for diabetes in that there are other benefits they bring besides lower A1c levels. The new meds can help with weight loss, blood pressure and lower your risk for heart disease.

As someone who has worked with Diabetic patients for over 25 years and have studied the disease for that long, I can tell you the following:
The new meds can help with weight loss, blood pressure and lower your risk for heart disease.

I am surprised you did not. Pray tell, would you list the "new meds" of which you are aware? I do have skin in the game.

Thanks, Friz

If you ask you doctor about the newer medications out there for type 2 diabetes, he or she should be well aware of these options for you and if they’re appropriate for you. In medicine, we look for “consensus guidelines” in treating patients. There is now strong evidence and consensus on SGLT2 (oral pills) as well as GLP1’s (once weekly injections). Both of these classes of drugs are very effective at lowering your A1c, reducing your weight, lowering your blood pressure as well as reducing your risk of heart attack or death. Also, they don’t cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). Because the standard of care is rapidly evolving in treating Type 2 diabetes, most insurance companies now have these drugs listed as options for patients (covered by insurance). Metfotmin is still the drug of first choice, but if you need additional help in lowering your blood sugar and diet and exercise isn’t getting you there, then one of these newer drugs will be the preferred 2nd line step.
I hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom