Major renovations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shelli563

Just thinking crazy here.......or maybe not........

Is it possible to take a trawler, like a grand banks, or similar with an aft cabin down and cut off the roof and build a new salon at deck level?* Something like this would likely cost $50kish?* Would the boat be too "top heavy"?

You'd be better off buying a Grand Banks Europa. All the work is done, and all you'll have time for now is varnishing. The Europa would likely keep it's value better than a custom conversion.

But to answer your question, I don't think it would necessarily be top heavy.

Carey wrote:
You'd be better off buying a Grand Banks Europa.
******* Agreed!

** I know of a fellow that did just that to an old wooden Grand Banks, I think it was a 42? It was a hell of a lot work but turned out nice.

Add weight up top, add ballast to counteract. Raise waterline, raise thru-hulls near waterline. More power needed, less speed, more fuel, change prop. JMHO

Everything is possible.

The real question is does it make sense to undertake such a project when there are so many boats for sale that would fit your needs...

I always thought that messing with a boat's design was a bit like messing with mother nature: you're never sure what the end result will be and more ofter than not it bites you in the a**.

Back
Top Bottom