Old 02-21-2017, 10:03 PM   #21
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane Nauti View Post
Headed to Trawler Fest next week in Stuart. I like the Mainships but still a few years away from buying. Is there any significant difference or issues with the V-Drive vs the Direct drive? The 43 aft cabins seem to have the direct drive and the ones without the aft cabin have a V drive.
Plane,

Cant help you much there, but friends with both kinds had very little differences in problems that I could tell over the years, however, standing by to hear more details.

Wish I could do Trawlerfest next week... just came at the wrong time for me.

Old 11-20-2017, 10:12 AM   #22

City: danvers ma
Mainship 400 engine

I am in the market for a Mainship 400 and have been lurking on this site for several months.I have read the posts on single vs twin and found it very informative. I have not seen a discussion on the single 440 Yanmar. I looked at a boat last week in Florida and the broker said that it will easily do 16 kts. Does anyone have experience with this engine? Also considering a freshwater 400. It is two to three years older than a Florida boat but at the same price. Does it seem right that a fresh water boat that is covered in the winter and three years older will be in better shape than a boat that has been in the south all year round?

Thanks
Peter

pmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:30 AM   #23
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
The fresh water and wintered boat will have had much less exposure to UV and no salt. I live in Michigan and see boats 20 years old and they look almost new if properly cared for. Key is how it has been maintained (or not).
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:02 AM   #24
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
The fresh water and wintered boat will have had much less exposure to UV and no salt. I live in Michigan and see boats 20 years old and they look almost new if properly cared for. Key is how it has been maintained (or not).
I agree with this.

Freshwater is a plus, but not so much that a poorly maintained FW boat is a better deal than a well maintained SW boat.

I'm somewhat skeptical that the 440 single will "easily" run 16 knots. Our twin tops out around 17 or 18 knots, depending on the load. It hits 15 pretty easily, but that is the top cruising speed. In real life conditions (current, waves, heavy load etc.) it's more like 14 knots. The twin is generally considered to be faster than the single, though there is only a 40 hp difference. It's possible, I guess, but I'd want him to prove it if speed is important to you.

I did a ton of research on the boat before we bought ours and I never heard or read anyone with a single say they performed well at those speeds. My advice is that if you're looking for more speed get a twin. It's still not a fast boat, but it's faster.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 02:16 PM   #25

City: Bayfield, WI
Vessel Name: All Night Long
Vessel Model: Regal 2765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
I chatted with a USCG engineer on Lake Superior this summer. He was on his last tour of his career and his first on the Great Lakes. His comment was that he wished he would have known 20 years ago how much easier his job would be in fresh water! He went from every day fixing something to every day checking and maintaining things.
BDofMSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:01 PM   #26
Guru

City: So-Cal
Vessel Name: Chelsea Rose
Vessel Model: Helmsman 43 PH
The often repeated past maintenance is everything governs. When I was looking at used boats, I always gravitated toward the FW boats and was willing to pay a premium and ship it cross country. Most FW boat owners know this, and price their boats accordingly. Overall, The amount of decent used boats out there is low, at least in SoCal. Many people around here are shipping them in. If you can find a nice FW boat, you have scored.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 05:01 PM   #27

City: Philadelphia
Vessel Name: Dreamers Holiday
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
So far you have heard from 400 and 34T owners. I have a 390 and am very happy with the boat. When we were looking we looked at all 3 (34T,390 and 400). The 350 and 390 are the same boat. The 390 is closer in size to the 34 than it is to the 400. hull #1 on the 350 was built as a 35' boat. there were handling issues so they added the 3' platform and called it a 39' boat. on the 2003 models and later the rails are stainless not aluminum. I very much like the curved stairs to the flybridge as it is very easy to get up and down in the roughest weather. Everything else is as shown in the comparison you attached.
I have the single 370 Yanmar and the boat will not plane. At wot of 3300 I can get 14 knots with a huge bow wave and terrible fuel consumption. This is a 10 knot boat that is happiest at 8 knots. If you want 15 knots go with the 400 and twins.
If i had to make the same buying decision today I would still go with the 390. The decision is very subjective. The wide overhang does give you a place for kayaks, etc but to say it offers protection from the weather is just silly. if its raining you're going to get wet. Take a hard look at both boats and compare them to see what fits your needs and see if the added cost is worth it to you.
John
johnma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:03 PM   #28
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnma View Post
So far you have heard from 400 and 34T owners. I have a 390 and am very happy with the boat. When we were looking we looked at all 3 (34T,390 and 400). The 350 and 390 are the same boat. The 390 is closer in size to the 34 than it is to the 400. hull #1 on the 350 was built as a 35' boat. there were handling issues so they added the 3' platform and called it a 39' boat. on the 2003 models and later the rails are stainless not aluminum. I very much like the curved stairs to the flybridge as it is very easy to get up and down in the roughest weather. Everything else is as shown in the comparison you attached.
I have the single 370 Yanmar and the boat will not plane. At wot of 3300 I can get 14 knots with a huge bow wave and terrible fuel consumption. This is a 10 knot boat that is happiest at 8 knots. If you want 15 knots go with the 400 and twins.
If i had to make the same buying decision today I would still go with the 390. The decision is very subjective. The wide overhang does give you a place for kayaks, etc but to say it offers protection from the weather is just silly. if its raining you're going to get wet. Take a hard look at both boats and compare them to see what fits your needs and see if the added cost is worth it to you.
John
Johnma,
If the wind is right, or no wind, it does provide protection.