Old 02-01-2019, 07:46 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Savannah, Ga.
Mainship Preferred Diesel- Catapillar or Yanmar?

Hello all,,,,

So as I am doing my research, I have seen a few listing where it is mentioned that "this Mainship 390 has the preferred Caterpillar 3126 Diesel"

Should I set that as a "got to have" on my list?

Jeff

jefndeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 07:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

City: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefndeb View Post
Hello all,,,,

So as I am doing my research, I have seen a few listing where it is mentioned that "this Mainship 390 has the preferred Caterpillar 3126 Diesel"

Jeff

I can't help you in any way on this particular question... but when we get the answer to it, we can then move on to which is the best anchor...???

Flybull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 07:55 PM   #3
Guru

City: South Florida
The single 390's were powered with Cat, Yanmar or Cummins.

I would take any of them in the right boat, but I am partial to Yanmar

Keysdisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:41 PM   #4
Guru

City: Litchfield, Ct/Punta Gorda, Fl
Vessel Model: Atlas Pompano 23- outboard
I have a lot of personal experience with the Yanmar 6LY and know about the Cummins from reading about it here and on boatdiesel. Both are solid engines. I don't know much about the Cat but I suspect it is a solid engine as well.

As noted above, all of these engines would be very suitable and the choice should be more based on the condition of the boat and its price.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:50 PM   #5
Guru

I have read criticism of Cat 3116 and 3126. You could try online searching.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 03:49 AM   #6
Guru

City: Pitcairn Island
I'm not much of a fan of either Cat or Yanmar, many boats where I am have John Deere, either the 6068 6.8L or the 6090 9.0L. Deere dealers are everywhere.
Fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 04:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

City: Goldcoast
Vessel Name: Moana
Vessel Model: 1996 M40 Riviera aft cab
Cummins first, then Yanmar, don't touch Cat, the Cats have poor resale.
auskiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 07:25 AM   #8
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:

I would suspect this could be a broker-induced preference... where whatever engine in the boat a broker is about to list suddenly becomes "the preferred" (whatever).

-Chris
Old 02-02-2019, 07:36 AM   #9
Veteran Member

City: Savannah, Ga.
Thanks much...so as far as hours go,..... what would be considered low. medium or high...or is that another question that is really objectionable....
Thanks
jefndeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 09:15 AM   #10
Guru

City: gulf coast
The early cats of 3116 3126 vintage had serious head and valve issues. They were usually replaced or rebuilt by Cat under warranty and owners were happy with them afterwards. Unfortunate in the boat world reputation once soiled never recovers.

In answer to the OP question Cummins would be my hands down choice.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 09:30 AM   #11
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Magic has 3116’s. We have logged 4,915 hours without a single repair. They are fuel efficient and very smooth running. The problematical engines had blocks built in France and they failed in the first 500 hours. The serial number will tell where the block was built. BTW, CAT repaired or replaced the defective engines. If you like the boat I would not hesitate.
hmason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 10:04 AM   #12
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
Magic has 3116ís. We have logged 4,915 hours without a single repair. They are fuel efficient and very smooth running. The problematical engines had blocks built in France and they failed in the first 500 hours. The serial number will tell where the block was built. BTW, CAT repaired or replaced the defective engines. If you like the boat I would not hesitate.
The 3116 and 3216 should run the Cat recommended oil, for a reason I don't recall. In any case, a Cat or Cummins is likely to run quite a bit longer than the higher turning, much lighter weight Yanmar.
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 11:31 AM   #13

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Pilitak
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Engine condition and potential longevity are not determined by engine hours alone! Little used (or not used) can be worse than having higher hours. Maintenance, or the lack thereof, can greatly influence costs (and problems) for the new owner. "Marine age" (more of a concern for boats used in salt water) often is much more of an issue than engine hours. I know another NT owner who has well over 9000 hours on his Cummins, and it is still running well and showing no signs of impending issues. However, the engine has been well maintained!
Look for detailed maintenance records. At least those can give an idea of what was done and how often. Beware of boats with no records. I always wonder what they may be trying to hide and, how did they keep track of what needed to be done and when without records??? My memory is pretty good, but no where near that good!
I personally like Cummins for many of the reasons stated above, and because parts are readily available, they have a good reputation (not perfect however), and most mechanics are comfortable working on them.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:04 PM   #14

City: Rockford, IL
Vessel Name: Du NORD
Vessel Model: Albin-25
I once worked a short while (as a temp) for an ME with a excellent pedigree (an early job after college was for the big shots at Alamogordo, NM in the late 1940's), whose resume included engine development at Caterpillar. Never forgot one offhand comment while testing a small Mitsubishi motor, "absolutely nobody builds better engines than Caterpillar".
Moby Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:11 PM   #15
Guru

Before purchasing ensure that replacement parts are available for the engine make in question. If I had followed that advice, I would never have purchased a boat with VOLVO engines.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 06:16 AM   #16
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Hello all,,,,

Jeff
Jeff, that is just broker speak.

He is not suggesting that the Cat is preferred for that specific boat, or that the builder prefers to put Cats in them (which they may or may not do). He is suggesting that people prefer Cats generally.

Which of course is just so much bunkum. People have engine preferences across the spectrum based on many variations of needs and wants.

The original owners of Sonas (hull #1) ordered two Luggers (LP668Ts), which is a very unusual set up. They obviously had very specific to them considerations. Hull #2, Nagari, has twin CAT 3126B Engines.

So simply ignore the use of "preferred."
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 09:06 AM   #17
Veteran Member

City: Bloomington/Manasota Key
As a 15 year Caterpillar employee...I can say I've never been in a meeting where we decided to build a product that wasn't the absolute best in the market. I've been involved in several competitor tear downs and every time we identified something on the other machine that would cost less...we chose to keep our "over" built part. From the number of hose clips to the thickness of the sheet metal in the engine enclosures and everything in between. Have we missed in the past...yes. But you'll not find a better warranty or better dealer network worldwide for a Marine engine.

https://www.cat.com/en_US/support/pr...nvestment.html

Are the other manufacturers listed above good choices? Yes. Are they the cheapest...maybe. Are they the best...probably not.

Carry on,

Sidney
(I'm not in sales nor do I work for a dealer or directly in the Marine Division. I am however invested heavily in CAT stock.) Thanks.
Sidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 09:45 AM   #18
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
I wouldn't! Since 1995 I have had Perkins, Cummins, Detroits, Cats & Yanmars. My favorite has been Cummins. They are easier for an owner to maintain. (IMHO) While searching about 5 years ago for my favorite boat (OA 42 Sedan) with specific attributes, (hard top, side by side births in the guest cabin, no down helm, etc,) the only one I could find after 3&1/2years of looking had Yanmars! Knowing absolutely nothing about Yanmars, I turned to an old broker/captain friend of mine for his advice. He said "Walt, I know you love Cummins but I believe the Yanmar is a better engine!" I bought the boat & I absolutely love the Yanmars!

Conclusion: If you've found the exact boat of your dreams, research the engines and go for it! All engines have had some bad press, justified or not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OA 42 Sedan.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	84936  
Old 02-04-2019, 10:37 AM   #19
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
For the Mainship, I rank the engines in the following:
Yanmar
Cummins
Cat

As a disclaimer, I've only owned Yanmar, but they are well made, bullet proof and easy to maintain. And I have a top notch dealer/distributer locally whose generous with good info as well as parts, etc.

I have a LOT of friends with the Cummins in their Mainships, and I could rank it as an equal to the Yanmar. I think you could flip a coin and be happy with either.

I've had friends with Cats, but in different boats, and no big issues there either..... and certainly not a distant third, but very close to the others.

Would agree with the comments that it probably makes more of a difference with the way the engine has been maintained, not the brand.

However, Volvo does seem to have issues. I've had a few with issues and friends with issues and occasionally had some friends that were grounded for months because they couldn't get parts (and they were expensive).
Old 02-05-2019, 06:54 AM   #20
FF
Guru

"Are the other manufacturers listed above good choices? Yes. Are they the cheapest...maybe. Are they the best...probably not."

The lowest cost of new Volvo engines for an OEM, is how they get stuck in boats, ,

FF is offline   Reply With Quote