Old 03-02-2014, 07:59 AM   #41
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
"From the lower helm picking up a mooring is a piece of cake. Just pull along side with the mooring bouy even with the helm. Step out on deck. Hook the eye of the pennant with a boat hook, and walk it to the bow.

The beauty of your trip is that it is one way. You don't have to return, so take your time. There are some great ports to enjoy. Inviting friends and family to enjoy the trip is a great idea. Docking, anchoring, and picking up a mooring just keep the bow in the current. St Augustine can have a mean current in the marina, but being from Georgia you are use to that."

I don't recall anything here about drifting down on the mooring.
See post #29 :

Quote:
Grabbing a mooring single handed is not difficult. use the lower station and open the side door. Position the boat so the wind and /or current pushes you toward the ball.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:16 AM   #42
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Wow do I disagree...running a new to you boat and solo up the coast a mile or two off the beach to me is WAY safer......if anything goes wrong or you hear a sound you can't decipher happens...autopilot or just neutral and a safe drift gives you the opportunity to investigate....obviously as long as the seas are reasonable.

The busy and narrow ICW is no place to just put it in neutral /shut down and run below to find that issue....
A 390 lying beam to the sea while dead in the water is extremely rocky, making repair and investigation dangerous. There are waves out there! I suppose if you wait for the perfect calm day you can avoid those pesky things.

And there are very limited options to turn in and secure the boat; if disabled you are drifting waiting for the towing service to get out to you. (yeah I know, carry a sea anchor drogue, the boat will still be bouncy) Between Ft Pierce and Jacksonville, save for Canaveral, the inlets, even St. A can be tricky to a newbie especially on an ebb tide, even with radio assistance from the tow service or marina. And, they are spread out. Mr. Murphy will likely visit you in the most inconvenient location at the worst time.

I am very fond of the 390, but having had one on SF Bay and another out to the Channel Islands, I personally classify them as fair weather, fair seas boats, especially until a new captain gains comfort with it.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
Old 03-02-2014, 08:20 AM   #43
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
A 390 lying beam to the sea while dead in the water is extremely rocky, making repair and investigation dangerous. There are waves out there! I suppose if you wait for the perfect calm day you can avoid those pesky things.

And there are very limited options to turn in and secure the boat; if disabled you are drifting waiting for the towing service to get out to you. (yeah I know, carry a sea anchor drogue, the boat will still be bouncy) Between Ft Pierce and Jacksonville, save for Canaveral, the inlets, even St. A can be tricky to a newbie especially on an ebb tide, even with radio assistance from the tow service or marina. And, they are spread out. Mr. Murphy will likely visit you in the most inconvenient location at the worst time.

I am very fond of the 390, but having had one on SF Bay and another out to the Channel Islands, I personally classify them as fair weather, fair seas boats, especially until a new captain gains comfort with it.
That pretty much sums it up.....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:37 AM   #44
Ben
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Sand Castle
Vessel Model: 1986 MT Sundeck 35.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluto View Post

I have experience cruising and chartering from the outer banks to the Bahamas, so I am not too concerned about the navigation. Just not used to such a large boat and its systems. During the sea trial it seemed pretty easy to handle from the bridge. Yes, picking up a mooring would be tough to do by myself. Anchoring would be the easiest but will require planning. And of course all plans subject to change due to boat or weather issues. I will not succumb to "get homeitis" and push my luck. Its supposed to be fun dammit!

Thanks again all.
Pluto - You've got it covered. You've thought this out in some good detail.

Anchoring solo is no big deal provided it's not in a hurricane. Get comfortable with throttling to neutral and see where the boat drifts. Watch your temps to see what is "normal", and note it. EXPECT something to go wrong. A light out, something not performing as expected and so on. Glitches happen.

I'm assuming you have auto pilot. The night before pulling anchor, you may want to make yourself a food and drink cooler for the bridge.

And as this is the first trip with your new craft, bring a great camera and store it on the bridge ready to go in arm's reach. Zoom lens recommended.

Sometimes you see things fast. I see dolphins from time to time. They don't wait for a trip to the cabin for you to get your stuff.

Have a great trip!

MV Sand Castle
Wilmington, NC
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 04:34 PM   #45
Veteran Member

City: Fort McAllister, Ga
Vessel Name: Hot Shot
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
Made it! Here is my log if anyone is interested:

Saturday morning met Leo Carrie at the boat and we began going over systems and operation. Provisioned the boat, turned in rental car.
Sunday Fueled at Laudedale Marina ($800) left Lauderdale winds 15-17 out of the SE but we chose to go outside to bypass the bridges and slow zones. 3-5 foot seas, boat rolly completely manageable. Had to hand steer as autopilot could not keep up with conditions.
Came in at Lake Worth Inlet (Palm Beach) and continued North on ICW and anchored behind AIA bridge. Muddy and poor holding but we did okay.

Monday March 17 north to Vero Beach. Dropped Leo off at the marina and topped tanks and headed north solo. Dropped anchor behind Melbourne Causeway North anchorage. Cold front passage overnight, wind shifted from SSW to NNW at 25 gust to 30K at 130 in the morning. Monitored by IPHONE anchor alert app and prayed anchor would not drag. It didnít, but it was a frightening experience. Tornado watch, radar precip was red. All I saw on one point out the window was white blowing rain and spray. No fun.

Tuesday March 18
So happy to see light. Wind strong NNW but boat powered against it fine. Chart plotter ran out of coverage and navigated the rest of the trip with IPAD, IPHONE and Active Captain. Anchored at Memorial Bridge South anchorage, Daytona. Pleasant night.

Wednesday March 19
On to Saint Augustine. Topped fuel and water. Anchored Saint Augustine North-3, in front of the fort. Just off waterway. Would have stayed at the marina but I was not sure I could maneuver the boat where they wanted me to go.

Thursday March 20
Docked by mid afternoon at Fernandina Beach Marina. Son James joining tonight late for final leg.

Friday March 21
Let James sleep in a little cause he did not get there until after 1am. Underway by 9. Had a little confusion about the bouys changing over at the submarine base and got a not so friendly call from Military police boat to point me in the right direction. Got to an anchorage behind St. Cathrines for the night.
Saturday March 22
Fort McAllister Marina by 10am. Yeah!
Pluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 04:38 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluto View Post
Made it! Here is my log if anyone is interested:
I'm interested. Thanks for sharing. Brings back lots of memories (some good, some not so good).
Old 03-22-2014, 04:43 PM   #47
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Good times....if it don't kill ya it makes ya stronger (smarter).
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:15 PM   #48
Guru

Congratulations on a successful voayage!

Too bad you didn't have more time to wait out the weather and make more stops along the way. The very accurate old saying is "The most dangerous thing you can have on a boat is a schedule". In this case, luckily it was just very inconvenient and extra stress-creating.

Have fun with your new boat, may future cruises be more relaxing!

Old 03-23-2014, 12:50 PM   #49

City: Philadelphia
Vessel Name: Dreamers Holiday
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
In someways it was like my get home trip. Was on a schedule and left during small craft advisories. My GPS chip also ran out after 370 miles, but by then I was close to home and knew the waters. Still its strange to see that line on the screen with nothing on the other side.
John
MS390

johnma is offline   Reply With Quote